Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

I really wish I have a Nikon D5 or something with faster FPS and better high iso noise for this but this was a bit unplanned and I only knew that I will have a chance to take pictures of this owl only a few hours ahead of time. Waited for this owl for 5 hours at -8C and he showed up twice

fish owl3 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

fish owl4 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

fish owl7 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

fish owl6 by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Feb 12, 2017 at 04:01 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Brilliant! A fabulous owl and you got images that anyone would give a body part to obtain. I understand the rarity of just seeing this owl let alone getting shots as you did.
Eric

Feb 12, 2017 at 05:21 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Wow! These are great Suteetat. You have photographed something I have never seen or heard about ~ Ron

Feb 12, 2017 at 08:46 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

All good and 3 is a stunner Suteetat

Morris

Feb 12, 2017 at 09:25 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Wow, a truly awesome series and the first 3 images are jaw dropping images, Suteetat! I didn't see this owl in Rausu back then and this is for sure another reason to go back there. The 5-hour wait time in the cold though.... I am not sure I can pull it off at my age . Congrats on your being able to capture this owl!

Joshua

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:29 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Just an fyi, there is a wildlife documentary, either Wild Russia or Wild China that has an episode that includes video of the Blakiston's fishing owl catching a fish underwater....but if you look carefully at the underwater shot of the fish it is tethered with a line...this just underlies the difficulty in getting images of this owl doing what it does naturally...I will assume since you didn't suggest this was baited that it was totally wild and since is was, you ought to be thrilled of not only seeing but very very proud of the high quality photographs of something very rarely witnessed indeed.
Eric

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

surfnron wrote:
Wow! These are great Suteetat. You have photographed something I have never seen or heard about ~ Ron
Thanks, Ron.

---------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
All good and 3 is a stunner Suteetat

Morris

Thanks Morris

AGeoJO wrote:
Wow, a truly awesome series and the first 3 images are jaw dropping images, Suteetat! I didn't see this owl in Rausu back then and this is for sure another reason to go back there. The 5-hour wait time in the cold though.... I am not sure I can pull it off at my age . Congrats on your being able to capture this owl!

Joshua

eyelaser wrote:
Just an fyi, there is a wildlife documentary, either Wild Russia or Wild China that has an episode that includes video of the Blakiston's fishing owl catching a fish underwater....but if you look carefully at the underwater shot of the fish it is tethered with a line...this just underlies the difficulty in getting images of this owl doing what it does naturally...I will assume since you didn't suggest this was baited that it was totally wild and since is was, you ought to be thrilled of not only seeing but very very proud of the high quality photographs of something
...Show more

Ron, Eric, the fish owl was baited. There is an inn in Rausu that has a small stream running right next to it. They kept the stream stocked with fish. In the picture, you can kind of see the edge of
a tub that they placed underwater with fish in it. They have been doing this for quite a few years already. Basically the owl comes any time after about 5-6pm. When I was there, it came around 6.30pm once and 10pm. I did not make a reservation ahead of time but they actually has a viewing room where you can set up your camera and wait in comfort. When I arrived at about 4pm they had a couple of spot left in a converted mini bus that they parked on the bank of the stream, closer than the viewing room but less ideal angle.We kept the window open but they had a couple of heaters in there so it was comfortable enough. Just a matter of sit and wait. The baited area was lit with LED light. I was told that the owl is less active in winter time but the background look nicer with the snow. In summer time, they are much more active and you can see both parents and they will take their chick here to learn how to hunt and fly as well. Sometimes in August-September, I think but then the Steller's sea eagle would not be there during that time.
Sorry Eric, for the misleading. In Thailand, I don't go to bird camp where they bait the bird but chance of seeing this rare owl was too tempted to miss while I was basically 5 minutes away from it

Feb 12, 2017 at 06:08 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Very nice.

Feb 12, 2017 at 06:45 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

A lifer for sure.

Feb 12, 2017 at 07:16 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

We get pigeons, starlings, english sparrows, etc. here as invasives. Why can't we have something like this, other kingfishers, etc. ?

Feb 12, 2017 at 09:32 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Fantastic set.

Birdie

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Wow - thanks for sharing this amazing bird. Incredible set. You did wonderfully!

Jim

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Simply fantastic!!!

LuckyT

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:36 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Fish owl's on various continents all have a similar look, and all are extremely difficult to see. This one is esp. nice and that must have been a wonderful experience!
Are you allowed to use flash there?
Don

Feb 13, 2017 at 01:02 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Several body parts actually.
We got a Harpie in Panama but this is even more coveted. Plus your images are fantastic.
I'm trying to think of any raptor more desired or more difficult to get.
I assume you were in Hokkaido??

Feb 13, 2017 at 01:56 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

mikedec wrote:
Very nice.

Thanks, Mike.

kdacharya wrote:
A lifer for sure.

Thanks, I am really glad I get to see this.

morrismike wrote:
We get pigeons, starlings, english sparrows, etc. here as invasives. Why can't we have something like this, other kingfishers, etc. ?

I leave out bird feeds on my balcony of my apartment regularly and I only get pigeons usually

birdied wrote:
Fantastic set.

Birdie

Thanks Birdie.

jfwoodman wrote:
Wow - thanks for sharing this amazing bird. Incredible set. You did wonderfully!

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

LuckyStrike wrote:
Simply fantastic!!!

LuckyT

Thanks.

DonGut wrote:
Fish owl's on various continents all have a similar look, and all are extremely difficult to see. This one is esp. nice and that must have been a wonderful experience!
Are you allowed to use flash there?
Don

No flash was allowed but the site was lit with LED light. I had to bring shutter speed way down to about 1/50s and
iso was up and down between iso 2000-5000 using 500/4 lens.

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Several body parts actually.
We got a Harpie in Panama but this is even more coveted. Plus your images are fantastic.
I'm trying to think of any raptor more desired or more difficult to get.
I assume you were in Hokkaido??

Thanks, I was in Rausu in Hokkaido. I went to Tsurui for the red crowned crane and drove up to Rausu mainly for Steller's Sea eagle but when I found out that there was also owl fish there, I jumped at the opportunity. This was really a bonus for the trip

PS if anyone is interested, just google Blakiston's fish owl and Rausu and the name of the inn should come up. There is even a review on tripadvisor. The name of the inn is Minshuku Washi no Yado. There is one guy there who speaks fluent English which made life easier. He is also a photographer and has a gallery in town that displays his owl pictures. The inn is about 5 minutes drive north of the pier for Steller's sea eagle.

Feb 13, 2017 at 02:38 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

the owl's a beauty Suteetat

Feb 13, 2017 at 05:57 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

suteetat wrote:
Thanks, Mike.

Thanks, I am really glad I get to see this.

I leave out bird feeds on my balcony of my apartment regularly and I only get pigeons usually

Thanks Birdie.

Thanks, Jim.

Thanks.

No flash was allowed but the site was lit with LED light. I had to bring shutter speed way down to about 1/50s and
iso was up and down between iso 2000-5000 using 500/4 lens.

Thanks, I was in Rausu in Hokkaido. I went to Tsurui for the red crowned crane and drove up to Rausu mainly for Steller's Sea eagle but when I found out that there was also
...Show more

Suteetat that is invaluable info for anyone heading to that part of Japan-thanks so much! Now is there any specific time of year for the owl's presence? I realize there is for the Sea Eagles and the Cranes.

Feb 13, 2017 at 06:06 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

kmunroe wrote:
the owl's a beauty Suteetat

Thanks for your kind words.

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Suteetat that is invaluable info for anyone heading to that part of Japan-thanks so much! Now is there any specific time of year for the owl's presence? I realize there is for the Sea Eagles and the Cranes.

As far as I know, the owl is there pretty much year round and would stop by at least once every night.
The guy at the inn told me that summer is the most active time. Sometimes in August-September, you will have a chance to see the owl's chick as well as it is learning to fly and hunt and both parents will more likely show up frequently but it is better to check with them for information.
However, I am not sure how to contact them though. A friend mention that at Kushiro airport, there is brochure advertizing the place but when I arrived there, I did not see any. When we arrived in Rausu, I basically used google map to locate the inn and showed up on their door step and luckily they had a spot available for me to sit and wait for the owl that night. You don't need to stay at the inn but they will charge 3000 yens per person.
However, winter is probably the best time to go as there are many thing to do in that area. I flew from Tokyo to Kushiro (much easier to get there by plane rather than train). From Kushiro, it is a short drive to Tsurui for red crowned crane and then it is another 150km drives to Rausu for both the owls and sea eagle. I think around September-October time, further up the peninsula, there is some whale watching and bear as well. Red fox can also be seen both in winter and summer but I did not see any on this trip.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Blakiston's Fish Owl, Rausu, Japan

Beautiful images, especially the third one.
Keith W.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.