New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Profoto Giant Reflector

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Giant Reflector

You know it is time to see a doctor for your GAS when you buy something you absolutely have no idea what to do with!

This is exactly what happened to me today when I won this eBay auction unexpectedly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371859018029

Looks like I should be getting everything (incl the diffuser) except for the stand. I am thinking of using this for big group shots as well as for automotive shots where I would probably like to get more into.

So questions:
1) Which stand should I get for this? Would a typical Avenger (or Matthews) wheeled stand work?
2) How do you use these giant reflectors? Any hints on best practices? Would appreciate any input...

Thanks...

Feb 10, 2017 at 08:21 PM
jlafferty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Giant Reflector

1) Wheeled stands work fine. If you haven't already purchased, I'd go Magic Stand base and drop a C Stand column in it (assuming you already have a C stand with a detachable base). Otherwise, again assuming you have a C stand, but want to spend a little less $$ this seems a good option (sandbagged or weighted with a "pumpkin"):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/862494-REG/Kupo_ks301012_Runway_Stand_Base.html

2) As a fill light; or a feathered key ala this article:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/20000-broncolor-lighting-really-worth-it-55070

Feb 10, 2017 at 08:31 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Giant Reflector

jlafferty wrote:
1) Wheeled stands work fine. If you haven't already purchased, I'd go Magic Stand base and drop a C Stand column in it (assuming you already have a C stand with a detachable base). Otherwise, again assuming you have a C stand, but want to spend a little less $$ this seems a good option (sandbagged or weighted with a "pumpkin"):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/862494-REG/Kupo_ks301012_Runway_Stand_Base.html

2) As a fill light; or a feathered key ala this article:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/20000-broncolor-lighting-really-worth-it-55070

Thank you, both for the article and for the Kupo stand base. I think I will get that as I already have a couple of C-stands with detachable base.

Feb 10, 2017 at 08:40 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Giant Reflector

The mounting hardware for this Profoto Giant is made by Manfrotto. It might be compatible with both baby and junior stands, although there is no retaining screw evident in the eBay listing (needed for use on stand with a baby pin). The eBay listing does appear to be modelling the Giant on a junior stand, plus this modifier and attached head will be very heavy. Therefore you should get a strong stand with large footprint (runway and C-stand not good enough). My suggestion is the Matthews Double-Riser Steel Junior Roller. This goes to 9' and supports either baby or junior payloads.

Congrats on a good deal, and I hope you have high ceilings!

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:25 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Giant Reflector

rico wrote:
The mounting hardware for this Profoto Giant is made by Manfrotto. It might be compatible with both baby and junior stands, although there is no retaining screw evident in the eBay listing (needed for use on stand with a baby pin). The eBay listing does appear to be modelling the Giant on a junior stand, plus this modifier and attached head will be very heavy. Therefore you should get a strong stand with large footprint (runway and C-stand not good enough). My suggestion is the Matthews Double-Riser Steel Junior Roller. This goes to 9' and supports either baby or junior
...Show more

Thanks. We already have Matthews Low-Boy double riser junior stand, which we currently use with our 6x4 softbox, or with Avenger D600 mini boom. It is a wonderful stand but unfortunately its max height is only 6.3'. So it may work in situations where Profoto Giant can stay low (i.e., the lowest part would be ~2' above the ground), but it wouldn't work when we want to raise the Giant higher.

As for high ceiling, no, we don't have it in our garage studio. (only in our living room ) but the two studios that we usually rent for client photo shoots both have high ceilings. Plus I envision using the giant for special shoots on location when possible.

Feb 11, 2017 at 01:42 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Giant Reflector

Those Kupo C-stand rolling bases are fantastic, but with a 8' umbrella, I'd echo calls for the wider footprint of a Junior Roller - just make sure it goes low enough to get the bottom of the giant to ground level if desired or needed (lower ceiling).

Feb 11, 2017 at 08:24 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Giant Reflector

rico makes a good point regarding the mount. I'd call Avenger or B&H and explain your situation and they'll find something.

The point about the runway having too small a footprint makes sense. This option offers both a wider diameter and greater max load than the junior roller:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302163-REG/Manfrotto_297BBASE_297B_Wheeled_Base_for.html

I'd still definitely counterweight it, putting a 10 or 15lb pumpkin weight inverted on each of the legs opposite the umbrella.

In the end it may just be best to spend the extra $$ and get a complete stand with the appropriate mount already in place - simpler.

Feb 11, 2017 at 08:30 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto Giant Reflector

cambyses wrote:
Thanks. We already have Matthews Low-Boy double riser junior stand, which we currently use with our 6x4 softbox, or with Avenger D600 mini boom. It is a wonderful stand but unfortunately its max height is only 6.3'. So it may work in situations where Profoto Giant can stay low (i.e., the lowest part would be ~2' above the ground), but it wouldn't work when we want to raise the Giant higher.

Raising the Giant higher was exactly the use case I imaged, and the reason I suggested the 9.5' version. Here is the link again:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33089-REG/Matthews_H386022_Steel_Wheeled_Stand.html

Like the Low Boy, it is a double riser. The Low Boy is not my biggest stand, but it is certainly my favorite with it being so handy. Matthews offers a triple riser version of the steel junior roller, but that one really is tall. Should you wish to economize around the Low Boy, a 3' junior extension is available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33145-REG/Matthews_426019_Junior_Stand_Extension.html

Feb 11, 2017 at 02:40 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto Giant Reflector

Just an update...

I realized that this Profoto giant 8-ft reflector is not a true parabolic reflector, and instead is basically a giant umbrella (It is an older model though; the biggest Profoto sells today is 7 foot). So I changed my mind, and called the seller quickly before they ship, and asked that my order be canceled. They were kindly open to cancelling my order but offered to send me instead a used Broncolor Para 220FB in decent condition for the same price. That seemed like an even better deal that I could not resist, even though still I will likely have very limited use for it.

I am assuming the same light stand recommendations above would still hold for the Para.

Feb 13, 2017 at 06:14 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto Giant Reflector

Same caliber of stand is needed, although I think the attachment is a baby: the mounting h/w is Manfrotto and similar to the Profoto Striplights. The Matthews junior rollers I recommend supports both baby and junior.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.