New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Nikon Service: improved?

T_Gordon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon Service: improved?

ronno wrote:
And still no one has chimed in with a recent "Impact Damage" story - stunning. ;-)

They replaced the bayonet mount on mine and was surprised they didn't claim that based on other discussions in the past. I have no idea why they'd replace it on a new camera but did and obviously didn't state why. It works fantastic now though!!

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:13 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon Service: improved?

I had a Sigma and a Tamron fail within days of each other. Both spent 3 days in their respective shops. Both came back perfect.

I spent 5 weeks wrangling with Nikon over a battery exchange for the D500.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:56 PM
SoonerCharlie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon Service: improved?

runamuck wrote:
I had a Sigma and a Tamron fail within days of each other. Both spent 3 days in their respective shops. Both came back perfect.

I spent 5 weeks wrangling with Nikon over a battery exchange for the D500.

I had an auto focus failure on a Tamron 150-600 G1. And after trying the lens on 3 different bodies (D2x, D3s, and D7100) and got the same result... I took it to the camera shop I purchased it from. They sent it off for repair under warranty.

That was on Dec. 10th 2016 and, here it is Feb, 12th 2017, and I still have not received the lens... I checked last week, and was told, that the lens had been approved to be repaired under warranty.

Hopefully It will be back in my hand soon.

Feb 12, 2017 at 03:44 PM
kingmeow
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon Service: improved?

TWO months?!!!! Oh man, if it was me, I would be fuming and working my up the Tamron food chain! Perhaps even demanding a new lens!

What were their excuses? I'm assuming more than one since it's been two months!!!!!

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:27 PM
SoonerCharlie

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon Service: improved?

kingmeow wrote:
TWO months?!!!! Oh man, if it was me, I would be fuming and working my up the Tamron food chain! Perhaps even demanding a new lens!

What were their excuses? I'm assuming more than one since it's been two months!!!!!

I have only checked on the status of the lens once... and it was with the local store that sent it off for me.

I have been cursed with patience, and it's not far from running out on this particular situation. I will wait another week or so, and start making phone calls myself.

Feb 13, 2017 at 03:17 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon Service: improved?

cambyses wrote:
In all my past experience (even prior to becoming an NPS member), after their inspection, they always sent me the estimate via email and I had the option to either accept, or deny the service. So are you saying that they charged your Credit Card without you knowing or approving their service?!

After a heated exchange over the phone this is what the manager of Nikon in NY told me:

"Look, you made the mistake of providing a credit card number when you sent in your equipment. If you provide a credit card number the service department is going to charge you, regardless. And right now, since the charge has already been posted and the equipment is in the process of being shipped back there's nothing I can do."

Three days prior I saw a "processing" charge on my card. Called Nikon. Asked them what I was being charged for. They said they had no idea and they'd get back to me. I have a reference number for that exact communication. The manager didn't care about the reference number at all. He also couldn't tell me what they did to the D4. I'm being serious. At one point he told me it didn't matter what they did since I provided a credit card number. I just got the D4 back today and it says "General Clean and Check" and "CLN AF System"

Follow up: I've since learned that Nikon doesn't touch the equipment. They send the equipment to a third party for service. So the NY manager is being 100% honest. Once the card is charged by the third party company there's literally nothing he can do. That's why he said it was a mistake to include my credit card number - the third party service department is just going to straight up charge the card. They see that as a green light.

Summary: Nikon NY is just a middle man now, between you and the third party service companies.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon Service: improved?

ronno wrote:
I sent a D750 in last week on Feb. 2 for the shutter recall fix & told them I was in a rush, and the camera is back in my hands today Feb 10. That's a total of 8 days including a weekend and travel times to and fro.

That's pretty good.

Has the service actually gotten better, or is this a fluke?
I have not seen the litany of "impact damage" stories lately, so I am wondering...

It has already been waiting 2 weeks on the D7200 with no diagnosis or ETA for repairs.
The body is still under warranty, or probably would not even have been worth the bother.

EBH

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:38 AM
kingmeow
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon Service: improved?

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Follow up: I've since learned that Nikon doesn't touch the equipment. They send the equipment to a third party for service. So the NY manager is being 100% honest. Once the card is charged by the third party company there's literally nothing he can do. That's why he said it was a mistake to include my credit card number - the third party service department is just going to straight up charge the card. They see that as a green light.

Summary: Nikon NY is just a middle man now, between you and the third party service companies.

Now that is interesting!!!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2017 at 08:40 PM
SecondShooter
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon Service: improved?

Knock on wood, to date, I havenít had a bad experience with Nikon Repair in Southern California. In fact, last year they surprised me with a refurbished D750 with only 600 clicks on the shutter for $343. I sent my well used D700 with 130K+ clicks in for repair after the mirror malfunctioned due to a bent lever. The original estimate to repair the D700 was $343, but when they notified me (10 days later) that the part is no longer available to repair the camera they offered me a refurbished D750 for the price they quoted to repair the D700. Of course I said YES and three days later I had the D750 in my hands and it currently has 35K clicks and running strong.

Feb 15, 2017 at 02:14 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon Service: improved?

SoonerCharlie wrote:
I had an auto focus failure on a Tamron 150-600 G1. And after trying the lens on 3 different bodies (D2x, D3s, and D7100) and got the same result... I took it to the camera shop I purchased it from. They sent it off for repair under warranty.

That was on Dec. 10th 2016 and, here it is Feb, 12th 2017, and I still have not received the lens... I checked last week, and was told, that the lens had been approved to be repaired under warranty.

Hopefully It will be back in my hand soon.

There may be a hold waiting for parts. Wrangling with Nikon for 5 weeks left a real bad taste in my mouth. The D500 was my last Nikon purchase. I have started unloading Nikon gear already.

Feb 15, 2017 at 02:25 AM
Spectro
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon Service: improved?

I also think that being able to drop off a camera or lens vs sending it in is a benefit to those that live in the area. I live 10 minutes from Nikon Canada's Mississauga, Ont headquarters. All Canadian repairs are done there now and I have a good face to face relationship with their NPS reps. I have had to bring in equipment that wasn't fixed the first time but got top notch service from them when I did and of course the turnaround time was based on my ability to return and get the equipment.

I just had a request in to get a 300 PF loaner to try with my D500 and D4s for a week of ski and snowboard racing photography. I expect it to be great vs hand holding a 300 2.8 on a ski hill all day. When I requested the lens and it was unavailable I professed my disappointment in a friendly way. I got an email back from my NPS rep who went to one of his counterparts and borrowed their personal lens (ie not in the loaner pool) to let me use. He didn't have to do that for me as he knew I would eventually try it for another event but he did anyway.

As for impact damage, that was primarily related to the D800 series. I purchased a low mileage D800e a couple years ago locally on Kijiji that just happened to be owned by a Nikon repair technician so I was quick to buy him a coffee and have a chat. He explained that the D800 had a solid lens mount and a drop with a lens of any size attached could bend the frame enough that they could no longer line up the AF to be on plane rendering the camera unusable. That is why the newer cameras are designed with break away lens mounts that are not part of the frame. The mount can be replaced and the camera can be salvaged.

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password