Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

TripLeader

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

I took this last month. Please let me know what you think.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:04 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

What do I think?

You'll shoot your eye out Ralphie!

The biggest issue here is your subject is too centered. I'd crop off the left side and top by going with a square crop keeping most of the water.

The image appears very flat and could use a little bump in contrast and maybe a tiny bit of saturation. And toss in a little USM and sharpening just for good measure.

I retired my little 30/30 many years ago after a near disaster. Great little rifle and I'll never sell it but I just never understood poor design from a safety standpoint.

Dave

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:37 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

Hi TripLeader,

Let me first say that I am not a hunter. and depending on your intent for the image you may want more of a hunter's appraisal.

With that out of the way I'm not sure if your purpose is the man or the weapon. I find myself constantly looking from one to the other as they vie for attention. Partly, perhaps, it's the position of the weapon as he holds it....not (it seems to me) a casual pose at all but more of a "look what I've got" sort of pose. The weapon itself asks questions: it could be as small as a 22 but with that scope he's obviously (?) not going for targets very close and the pond isn't very far away: seeming to be a contradiction. The pond says "ducks" to me (in my ignorance, perhaps) but does one hunt ducks at fairly close range with a weapon like what's pictured with its rather large scope? Maybe so and again a hunter would have a different viewpoint.

His expression is a bit perplexing to me...not a smile, something quite serious seemingly. Not sure what to make of it. If it were my image I might try to lighten up his face a bit in post, as the overcast conditions make the lighting a bit flat.

I might go for a vertical crop and in so doing not have quite so much negative space on the LHS, and remove some of the RHS as well.

Do you have others with different poses perhaps? I'd like to see some other poses if you have them.

My two cents....
keith

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM
TripLeader

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

I took this while some friends and I were out shooting. The subject in the photo picked up the rifle, which is a .45-70 (fairly large round that can be used for big game) and asked me to take a photo of him with it. We were shooting at some targets way off in the distance.

I didn't give him any direction, just snapped it. I think he was trying for some sort of a stoic or tough look, but I don't think it shows through very well.

Let me try some of these suggestions and post again. Thanks.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

Welcome to FM and Critique, TripLeader!!

The others have covered what I was thinking already (flat, too much negative space). The flatness/lack of contrast will be something that needs to be overcome in such overcast conditions - just nature of the beast there. Some flash or additional lighting will definitely add some much-needed "pop".

Tightening the crop will put more of the focus on the shooter and his tool. The surrounding grass/lake/trees don't do anything to add or enhance your message.

Quick rework below, but the flatness will be difficult to beat as-shot IMO.

Jeff

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:07 PM
TripLeader

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

Here is round 2:

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

I like the closer crop. Though I prefer a bit more headroom like what Jeff did.

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

I prefer the closer crop or a slight variation.
I think the expression is engaging.
I think his face is far too red. Whether you reduce the overall saturation or not, dial back the red on his face

Scott

Feb 10, 2017 at 05:19 PM
TripLeader

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

Thank you for all the replies. I have learned a thing or two.

I've been lurking on the site for a few years now, but I still have a hard time in seeing some of the corrections that need to be made to photos, especially to my own.

Feb 10, 2017 at 09:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out in the Country, by the Pond...

A few tweaks.

Looks a touch underexposed for the subject (reflective metering with backlighting vs. incident metering on subject), and the lighting is flat (understandably). Crop, lift, some USM and S&P to taste.

A little bit of serendipity I suspect, but I kinda dig on the mimicked lines between some of the branches and the rifle.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.