FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Ultra-fast SD cards

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ultra-fast SD cards

I have never tested the waters with the newer fast SD cards (300MB/S, etc). My concern with them is that the speed increase is only with card to computer transfer...not the speed of writing in the camera. Does anyone have experience with these that can comment? The cameras in question are the D750 and the A7RII.

I don't care as much about dumping speed...but an increase in write speed with how I shoot would be massively helpful. I am always hitting my buffer.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ultra-fast SD cards

you should see an increase in writing speed also. The speed is different between reading and writing but it is usually written on the cards. Currently B&H Photo has a WPPI sale on fast cards.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ultra-fast SD cards

I don't think they help with the buffer.

The camera is writing to its RAM first, then the card. The bottleneck is always the camera.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ultra-fast SD cards

I understand it as you do, Joel with the only benefits being card to computer. I believe card wrote speeds are limited by how fast the camera can write to them.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ultra-fast SD cards

ZachOly wrote:
I don't think they help with the buffer.

The camera is writing to its RAM first, then the card. The bottleneck is always the camera.

The bottleneck is usually in the camera. Slow cards can create a bottleneck where the speed is restricted by the card when the buffer is unloading onto the card. It is going to vary by camera as to what speed of card stops making a difference, though.

Feb 10, 2017 at 01:36 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ultra-fast SD cards

I'm sure you'd see improvement on the D750, but with the A7RII, the SD cards are limited by the camera's write speed. I haven't seen any difference once you get above 90 mb/s.

Feb 10, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ultra-fast SD cards

mikethevilla wrote:
...with the A7RII, the SD cards are limited by the camera's write speed. I haven't seen any difference once you get above 90 mb/s.

I was just looking at some Lexar 128gb 300mb/s cards. They won't make a difference in an A7RII? Not worried about the transfer to PC side as much. Currently running a Sandisk 128gb 95mb/s Ultra something...

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:10 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ultra-fast SD cards

Faster cards CAN help a full buffer clear faster, but you'll see maybe just a couple of extra frames in a 5 second burst.

Being able to ingest an entire wedding in 10 minutes. That is something I can get excited about.

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:12 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ultra-fast SD cards

t4haughton wrote:
Faster cards CAN help a full buffer clear faster, but you'll see maybe just a couple of extra frames in a 5 second burst.

Being able to ingest an entire wedding in 10 minutes. That is something I can get excited about.

Am I the only one who puts a beer in my hand when I'm unloading cards? Not in that big of a hurry .

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:22 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ultra-fast SD cards

Etherton wrote:
I was just looking at some Lexar 128gb 300mb/s cards. They won't make a difference in an A7RII? Not worried about the transfer to PC side as much. Currently running a Sandisk 128gb 95mb/s Ultra something...

I have both of those exact cards. If there's a difference in actual write speed of the A7RII, I sure as heck don't notice it.

Feb 10, 2017 at 06:41 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ultra-fast SD cards

Thanks for the feedback all...pretty much what I assumed.

Feb 11, 2017 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.