New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Moonshot ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moonshot ...

Nothing too exciting, just looking for perspective on say a 1-10 scale where you think this one would rate (no sugar-coating please).

I'm guessing somewhere higher than a 1 and lower than a 10.

Nits and/or micro-nits are welcome.

09Feb17

Feb 09, 2017 at 09:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moonshot ...

No it's a good moon shot. As they say, a less than full moon is generally more interesting. I might like to see more crater detail, but I suspect that is a function of less than full.

I would give it an 8

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moonshot ...

Thanks Ben,

I was doing some color theory study / testing a day or so ago with the moon & sky, and it donned on me tonight to continue that testing with a fuller moon. +1 @ less full = more interest.

Focus was on the circumference edge ... wondering if the crater detail is decreased @ dof due to chosen focal point?

Any thoughts on the tonal values?

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:25 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moonshot ...

Crop can probably work in about a half billion different ways, but I like your moon.

Probably around a 7 I'd say. You could punch it up with some midtone contrast and a little USM.

Thinking about the solar system screws with my noggin - we are *so* small.

Jeff

Feb 10, 2017 at 07:48 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moonshot ...

1-10 Scale? Relative to what?

Compared to any of my shots I've attempted, I'd consider this a 10.
Relative to the serious images out there taken with specialized gear I'd give this one a 4 or 5.
Relative to the average joe schmo image I'd rate this one about an 8.

What my eyes are picking up on is the lack of detail and contrast in the center area and the ring around the very edge starting at about 10 o'clock on over to about 4 o'clock.

Moon phase is what probably wiped out your inner details. I noticed last night and the night before that it was super bright out.

Tones look perfect to me. I know it's very easy to go overboard and based on what I'm seeing here, it's clear this is not your first rodeo with this life giving chunk of rock and dust.

I'm in a funk right now so no worries about anything being sugar coated coming from me right now.

Dave

Feb 10, 2017 at 09:32 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moonshot ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Ben,

I was doing some color theory study / testing a day or so ago with the moon & sky, and it donned on me tonight to continue that testing with a fuller moon. +1 @ less full = more interest.

Focus was on the circumference edge ... wondering if the crater detail is decreased @ dof due to chosen focal point?

Any thoughts on the tonal values?

Sounds heavy duty @ color theory study! I can't help but comment on your interesting wording -- "it donned on me". Of course it's properly "dawned" (as in the idea arose like a sunrise), but doing it your way makes sense too, as in the idea came to me and it I put it on (adopted it) like a suit of clothes. Another example of this sort of thing is "chomping at the bit", which is properly "champing at the bit", but it doesn't take much imagination to think of a horse chomping (gently!) on a bit in impatience.

Sorry for the diversion -- English in all its complexity provides endless fascination.

I'd give your full moon an 8 or 9 -- the full moon is a very bright object and tough to get right but you did pretty well.
keith

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moonshot ...

ben egbert wrote:
No it's a good moon shot. As they say, a less than full moon is generally more interesting. I might like to see more crater detail, but I suspect that is a function of less than full.

I would give it an 8

Tonal value is one of the reasons I don't do B&W, I am no good at judging it. Too subtle:-)

On further reflection, I think the reason a half moon works so well is because of the highlight offered by the greater transition from dark to light. Sort of like a side lit mountain.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moonshot ...

I'll say 9. I also noticed the slightly bright ring around the moon that Dave saw. Not sure what happened there. But I only noticed because I looked somewhat closely.

Feb 10, 2017 at 02:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moonshot ...

Thanks guys.

+1 a bit of artifact from PP in the perimeter and the softer middle area. Wondering if my chosen focus point (bottom center) has left the DOF / planes of this 3D object ever-so-slightly oof in the middle (which technically is closer to us than the edges, kinda like the nose of a face vs. the ears). Note the left edge vs. the bottom edge vs. the middle.

If my calcs are correct the distance diff to the edges is about 1,000 miles farther than the center. I may want to choose more of a "mid-distance" focus point vs. the extreme edge. The extreme edge focus point might be better suited for a crescent than a full.

Feb 11, 2017 at 09:31 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Moonshot ...

I don't think dof is an issue on the moon. Infinity is probably a few thousand feet and up. When I do stars, I prefocus on terrestrial light sources. Also conventional wisdom is that you can be very aggressive with USM.

Feb 11, 2017 at 09:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Moonshot ...

I would tend to agree regarding DOF / infinity. But, for stars we aren't using the same distance / magnification that we do with the moon. I'm thinking that trying to equate it to something like birding (similar magnification), where @ 200' a 1' difference would / would not be slightly noticeable ... just thinking it through a bit.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Moonshot ...

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

I plugged in a CoC of .003 (very critical) F4 and 400mm and got near limit 8139 ft and far limit infinity.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.