New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Chris Moy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Has anyone tried this combo? Decent IQ? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything. Thanks guys!

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Are you sure it even mounts? TCs are typically for telephoto lenses.

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

I just looked. Its not compatible.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300003485/01/extenderef14xii-en.pdf

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:08 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

It *is* compatible, despite Canon's saying otherwise. Many here, including myself, have used these converters with Canon tilt lenses.

That said, the 45 t/s has the lowest image quality of the present four t/s lenses, and it's going to degrade further with a TC. I'd only consider it if you *must* have tilt and that focal length.

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:26 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks Danny! Yeah, it would be for a "must' tilt/shift situation. I'll give it a try once I have the lens just to see how bad it is.

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
It *is* compatible, despite Canon's saying otherwise. Many here, including myself, have used these converters with Canon tilt lenses.

That said, the 45 t/s has the lowest image quality of the present four t/s lenses, and it's going to degrade further with a TC. I'd only consider it if you *must* have tilt and that focal length.

Feb 10, 2017 at 09:46 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

I don't think you'll find it objectionable. Although the 45 TSE is considered the runt of the litter, I find my copy (a later model) to be excellent, with only slight CA (easily remedied in LR) and slight softness near edge of image circle (just a bit more than the other TSE lenses). Otherwise, where it really counts, the 45 has very little distortion, and that's my main criteria in a TS lens.

Looking forward to your results.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks Gunzorro! Sounds promising I really like the results I got with the 17 + 1.4. I'll be happy if the 45 + 1.4 is half as good I'm starting to feel I can NOT live without tilt and shift functions

Gunzorro wrote:
I don't think you'll find it objectionable. Although the 45 TSE is considered the runt of the litter, I find my copy (a later model) to be excellent, with only slight CA (easily remedied in LR) and slight softness near edge of image circle (just a bit more than the other TSE lenses). Otherwise, where it really counts, the 45 has very little distortion, and that's my main criteria in a TS lens.

Looking forward to your results.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:23 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Okay at f8

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=348&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=4&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

I have used 1.4 lots with ts17 and sometimes with s24 - aside from the big bulky heavy lens way out and the associated vibration, it works well. So I am thinking the same for 45.

Feb 10, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

I recall a discussion on a TSE thread a couple years ago (Scott would have been involved, IIRC) that inspired me to try my 1.4X II on all four TSE lenses. Except for the loss of a stop of light, functioning was fine. In combination with lens + 1.4X, I recommend the camera readout set at f/8 for this lens as minimum to evaluate (actual lens aperture would be f/5.6 with the 1.4X). For 17 and 24, I would try minimum of f/11 to evaluate (actual f/8 aperture in-lens).

I'm even more interested now in your results!

Feb 10, 2017 at 07:24 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks Scott!

Scott Stoness wrote:
Okay at f8

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=348&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=4&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

I have used 1.4 lots with ts17 and sometimes with s24 - aside from the big bulky heavy lens way out and the associated vibration, it works well. So I am thinking the same for 45.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks Gunzorro! I just got the lens. I will give it a try when I have some time.

Gunzorro wrote:
I recall a discussion on a TSE thread a couple years ago (Scott would have been involved, IIRC) that inspired me to try my 1.4X II on all four TSE lenses. Except for the loss of a stop of light, functioning was fine. In combination with lens + 1.4X, I recommend the camera readout set at f/8 for this lens as minimum to evaluate (actual lens aperture would be f/5.6 with the 1.4X). For 17 and 24, I would try minimum of f/11 to evaluate (actual f/8 aperture in-lens).

I'm even more interested now in your results!

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:53 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Looking forward to your impressions and seeing some photos you get with the lens and 1.4X.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

I hope to get out this weekend.

BTW have you rotated the tilt on the 45? I tried but the screws are so tight I wasn't able to remove them

Gunzorro wrote:
Looking forward to your impressions and seeing some photos you get with the lens and 1.4X.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

I use my 45mm TS-E lens with a 1.4x TC all of the time for when I shoot panoramas. I like to shoot several vertical frames, that I then stitch together and I find that the 45mm + the 1.4x gives me a overall good "focal length" or view.

Now, I use the Kenko 1.4x but I also used to have the Canon 1.4x II teleconverter and when I compared the Canon to the Kenko I didn't find any difference so I ended up selling the Canon to save the money.

Here is an unedited image (part of a pano) that I shot with the 45mm TS-E and the Kenko 1.4x - with a 5DII and at f/13. You can see some chromatic aberrations, especially on the snow bands on the mountain but they clean up easily in Lightroom.

http://www.tnphoto.ca/temp/2017.02/TN2014-5D2-_MG_9677.jpg

Feb 15, 2017 at 01:27 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks Tom! That looks pretty GOOD to me!!!!

Tom Nevesely wrote:
I use my 45mm TS-E lens with a 1.4x TC all of the time for when I shoot panoramas. I like to shoot several vertical frames, that I then stitch together and I find that the 45mm + the 1.4x gives me a overall good "focal length" or view.

Now, I use the Kenko 1.4x but I also used to have the Canon 1.4x II teleconverter and when I compared the Canon to the Kenko I didn't find any difference so I ended up selling the Canon to save the money.

Here is an unedited image (part of a pano)
...Show more

Feb 15, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Tom, if you don't mind me asking do you use a pano head for your panoramas? Thanks!

Feb 15, 2017 at 03:01 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Chris Moy wrote:
Tom, if you don't mind me asking do you use a pano head for your panoramas? Thanks!

I don't really use a pano head... I just have a panning clamp installed on my ballhead similar to this and a L bracket on my camera:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123700-REG/uniqball_ucapan_panoclamp_panning_base.html

I use my ball head to level the panning clamp. Mount the camera with the L plate (in the portrait orientation) on the clamp. Use shift on the lens to set my composition - horizon. And finally rotate the camera using the panning clamp instead of the panning base of the ball head.

I also have one of these rails, but I never use it because I never have problems with the stitching:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/MPR-CL-II-MPR-with-integral-clamp

Feb 15, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks so much Tom! That's similar to my RRS's panning clamp...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1301158&gclid=CLGq8p-Ik9ICFQiBswod7g8AAA&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678762%2C&is=REG&A=details

I'll have to give this a try

Tom Nevesely wrote:
I don't really use a pano head... I just have a panning clamp installed on my ballhead similar to this and a L bracket on my camera:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123700-REG/uniqball_ucapan_panoclamp_panning_base.html

I use my ball head to level the panning clamp. Mount the camera with the L plate (in the portrait orientation) on the clamp. Use shift on the lens to set my composition - horizon. And finally rotate the camera using the panning clamp instead of the panning base of the ball head.

I also have one of these rails, but I never use it because I never have problems with the stitching:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/MPR-CL-II-MPR-with-integral-clamp

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Yes. I sent to Canon, who rotate tilt for free. Having done so, on this and the 90TSE, I would prefer it back to original setting. I seldom use tilt and shift together, so prefer gravity not pulling down tilt when I don't want it (I don't over-tighten my knobs). Plus, I prefer the distance scale on top, not side of lens.

Chris Moy wrote:
I hope to get out this weekend.

BTW have you rotated the tilt on the 45? I tried but the screws are so tight I wasn't able to remove them

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:22 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 45mm TS-E + 1.4x T.C. II

Thanks Gunzorro! I use the tilt sometimes on my 17 TS-E. I noticed I need very little tilt to max my DOF. Maybe I should I leave the 45 as is. I'll see how I like it for now and decide later.

Gunzorro wrote:
Yes. I sent to Canon, who rotate tilt for free. Having done so, on this and the 90TSE, I would prefer it back to original setting. I seldom use tilt and shift together, so prefer gravity not pulling down tilt when I don't want it (I don't over-tighten my knobs). Plus, I prefer the distance scale on top, not side of lens.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.