New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

MRM4
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

Here's another one for APS. Great service.

Feb 10, 2017 at 01:36 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Roger, thanks for the additional information. NPS used to be amazing but has fallen off A LOT in recent years. For a while everyone blamed the change on the tsunami but the fact that it hasn't recovered is worrying.

P.S. How's the failure rate on the new 105/70-200?

They're both good. We had a couple of 105s that got some dust within the sealed front group (probably glass glue that dried wrong) and both were promptly replaced under warranty. Other than that neither lens has had problems at all.

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:22 PM
kingmeow
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I was just charged $384 for a clean and check on a D4 and I'm an NPS member. I can go into detail if you guys want, but the entire experience was outrageous.

After a heated exchange over the phone this is what the manager of Nikon in NY told me:

"Look, you made the mistake of providing a credit card number when you sent in your equipment. If you provide a credit card number the service department is going to charge you, regardless. And right now, since the charge has already been posted and the equipment is in the process of
...Show more

That's doesn't sound like the proper use of a credit card on their part. They can only charge your card if you AUTHORIZE to charge it. Them doing it without even you knowing how much they are charging is pretty much, I'm pretty sure, a violation of their agreement with the credit card companies.

Them having your CC number is NOT an authorization from you to charge every and any thing to it! Unless there is fine print on the repair form saying providing a CC number means authorization to charge. Still, it should be common courtesy on their part to inform you about the cost before charging!

I would call your credit card company and complain.

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:24 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

pjheller wrote:
Authorized Photo Service
8125 N River Drive, Suite 100
Morton Grove, IL 60053
http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com

The only place I send my Nikon gear.

When you call, you get someone who can yell across the room to a tech and get an answer. I have a 70-200mm on it's way back to me from them right now. Less than a week for it to be received,repaired and shipped back.

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:42 PM
ronno
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

I can vouch for http://www.phototech.com/ in NYC.
They have been around for ages, know what they are doing, great to deal with!

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:53 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

I'd never use 303 on any rubber, much less on a camera

it contains silicone and is bad bad bad, just shiny

Feb 10, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

rw11 wrote:
I'd never use 303 on any rubber, much less on a camera

it contains silicone and is bad bad bad, just shiny

It's the best stuff for rubber. Made my zoom and focus rings look like new. Have ZERO "side effects"

Feb 10, 2017 at 04:48 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

You should dispute the charge with your card company and have it reversed.

kingmeow wrote:
That's doesn't sound like the proper use of a credit card on their part. They can only charge your card if you AUTHORIZE to charge it. Them doing it without even you knowing how much they are charging is pretty much, I'm pretty sure, a violation of their agreement with the credit card companies.

Them having your CC number is NOT an authorization from you to charge every and any thing to it! Unless there is fine print on the repair form saying providing a CC number means authorization to charge. Still, it should be common courtesy on their part to
...Show more

Feb 10, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

nuclearjock wrote:
I'll call ahead and tell APS I'm bringing in a body for a clean and check, drop it off, go have lunch and it's ready when I get back. How's that for service?

They do same day service?!?! I've been putting off getting my d800 looked at(it backfocuses on everything, tired of adjusting for it) because I don't want to be without it too long.

I'm going to have to look into this!

Feb 10, 2017 at 05:36 PM
saaber1
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

Elijah wrote:
NPS to replace your rubber? You're doing it all wrong, bro...

This is all you need for only $11.66 shipped.

Refer to this thread for more info. I use q tips to clean the slots of the rubber ring. The best stuff ever made for rubber cleaning.

303 is great stuff. Probably the best thing on the market to protect against UV damage for anything plastic rubber etc. It's cheapest to buy it by the gallon on Amazon.

To keep rubber soft/pliable and extend it's life dupont krytox is about the best thing on the planet. It's expensive but a $25ish tube bought from mcmaster carr can last a few years. A tiny bit goes a long way. You can also get it in liquid form from VW, audi, BMW dealers. It's for weatherstrip protection and often the parts guys don't know it exists. Form Mcmaster carr, get the cheapest grade, not NASA grade which is $1600 for one grease gun tube! I put it on car weatherstipping and anything rubber that I care about. It's one of the few things that will revive 1970s Porsche rubber. This stuff just doesn't break down.

Feb 10, 2017 at 07:08 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

NPS is definitely having operational problems. I sent a lens in to be checked that was generating an EE message on two different cameras. It was sent in as a NPS priority repair. Nikon received it on January 20 and did not process the service request until January 28 to even generate a quote for me to approve. The service order never made it into the Nikon system so I had to keep phoning to determine the status of the repair.

Unfortunately for most items the parts are going to have to come from Nikon and so sending a camera or lens to a third party service outfit is only going to add 10-14 days to the repair.

I have been quite pleased with the repairs done and the amounts charged (and some repairs have been done out of warranty for free) by Nikon.

Nikon has cut funding for NPS and I cannot get phone calls or emails returned by whoever is still working in this department.

Trust me though, dealing with NPS is way better than dealing with Canon's CPS that is managed by flacks who cannot give an honest answer when there are problems with a product.

Feb 10, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

elkhornsun wrote:
Trust me though, dealing with NPS is way better than dealing with Canon's CPS that is managed by flacks who cannot give an honest answer when there are problems with a product.

Really??

I shot Canon for over 10 yrs. Canon's CPS is the only thing I miss about Canon.

I never had to wait more than 5 days for a repair from CPS. Send a camera or lens in on Monday and it was back home by Thursday or Friday.

Sent two items to Nikon over the past two years for repair. First time waited 14 days. Next time had to wait over 2 months. They did an excellent job.

Peace

Feb 10, 2017 at 08:35 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

I ran into the guy that I sold this lens, and it's still perfect from when I used the 303 on it, and he's still happy with the lens

I'm wanting to send my 24-70 and 70-200 in to Nikon for a check before the five year warranty runs out this year...

Feb 10, 2017 at 09:12 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

Grantland wrote:
Really??

I shot Canon for over 10 yrs. Canon's CPS is the only thing I miss about Canon.

I never had to wait more than 5 days for a repair from CPS. Send a camera or lens in on Monday and it was back home by Thursday or Friday.

Sent two items to Nikon over the past two years for repair. First time waited 14 days. Next time had to wait over 2 months. They did an excellent job.

Peace

We had an emergency recently. A two month old 5D3 wouldn't turn on. It was under warranty. We sent it to CPS and requested a loaner. CPS absolutely refused to send a loaner. They said requests for loaners must be sent two weeks in advance. So I asked them how I could possibly know two weeks in advance my camera would break? The lady was speechless and said she was sorry, but that's their policy. The manager I spoke to next stuck to the same script. It was really frustrating because Canon had taken care of me with repair loaners in the past. All this to say CPS isn't what it used to be. Just research it here on FM, you'll see that CPS isn't great anymore. And NPS is worse.

Edited on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:05 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

Well.... this weekend I dropped my 24-70 VR on concrete. Technically, it kinda flew out of my bag. Yeah. Literally just got it back from NPS. Thank god for insurance. Three things:

1) The lenses NPS calibrated were focusing PERFECTLY. It was like having brand new lenses. It was like I'd found the best copy Nikon had manufactured. So calibration is amazing and props to NPS for doing a good job.

2) After calibrating the 24-70 & 70-200 with my D810, my 58 wouldn't focus at all. It was shocking.

3) The utter destruction of my 24-70 means that I get to try APS. I sent in the D810 with all my lenses and asked them to calibrate them all, including the 24-70 after they repair it. So I'll report back on my experience with them.

Feb 20, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

What level of CPS are you? Silver, Gold, Platinum? I think Platinum gets loaners on request when repairs take more than a few days. I don't think there is any "repair loaner" coverage for Gold, only pre-scheduled 10 day evaluation loaners.

ohsnaphappy wrote:
We had an emergency recently. A two month old 5D3 wouldn't turn on. It was under warranty. We sent it to CPS and requested a loaner. CPS absolutely refused to send a loaner. They said requests for loaners must be sent two weeks in advance. So I asked them how I could possibly know two weeks in advance my camera would break? The lady was speechless and said she was sorry, but that's their policy. The manager I spone to next stuck to the same script. It was really frustrating because Canon had taken care of me and with repair
...Show more

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:32 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sick of NPS - Need Alternatives

Yeah I'm gold.

That would make sense. If that's the case it would have been nice if the lady would have explained that to me. Are you sure platnium gets instant loaners?

PS - on the Nikon side of things, if you damage a lens, they overnight you a loaner immediately.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.