FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Hello all,

In another topic I have been struggling with combining the output of two very different bodies (i.c. 1Dx and 5D4). One member (arbitrage) advised me to try the Colorchecker Passport and profile my cameras. This has always been a mystery to me just because I never tried. But it is so easy to do and quick to learn. I just wanted everyone to hear this so if you're in doubt, just do it.

I have no strings connected to xrite whatsoever. This is just for you, not me.

So this is to those who are intimidated by colour syncing workflows, here are the steps so you know how it's done. And the examples show that it works.

Basic steps for Lightroom:
1. Photograph the colorchecker passport using the RAW setting on your camera.
2. Convert the RAW file to DNG using either Lightroom (export -> File Settings -> Image Format: DNG)
3. Open the profiling software, locate the RAW file, drag it from your file browser and drop it onto the app
4. Push the button in the app and it will create your camera profile
5. Restart Lightroom
6. Edit your photo, go to "Camera Calibration" (bottom right in the Edit mode) and select the new profile from the list

That is all!

Follow the sequence for all of your cameras that you wish to use as combos for shoots. The rendering from both will be synchronised. Not to 100% identical match, but very close.

Example: 1Dx and 5D4 used for gym adult sports

http://www.yulaniss.nl/FM/170208-5D4vs1DX-CCP/5D4a.jpg
http://www.yulaniss.nl/FM/170208-5D4vs1DX-CCP/1DXa.jpg
http://www.yulaniss.nl/FM/170208-5D4vs1DX-CCP/5D4b.jpg
http://www.yulaniss.nl/FM/170208-5D4vs1DX-CCP/1DXb.jpg

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:47 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

I have it and I'm not trying to put anyone off with colorchecker. I found the blues too saturated. I noticed that all the colours have more punch in your post and I'm not saying that is bad. It looks good to me.

When I was getting into I did some tests of my wife's arm on an end table with other junk so I could compare. Skin tones looked good but she was definitely wearing a teal sweater and it came out blue. I even asked her to look at it and and she said it did not look the same. I placed other blue items around her arm and they were more saturated.

I stopped using it because I was unsure about it. I guess I'm trying to represent what I see as opposed to what the colorchecker shows me. I have mentioned this a few times here and on other sites.

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:04 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Hey Zee that is too bad, maybe I should do some more testing. My objective was to sync two bodies to match them in a series shot with both. But colour should be accurate so I will do some more testing on my 5DsR now that I have the CCP.

I agree colours are pretty saturated, but not excessively more saturated than from DPP, which I call the golden reference because I really like DPP's colours over LR's colours. Now that I have the CCP I'm starting to like Lightroom again.

Regards,
Ralph

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

That is the way to do it. Like I said there is nothing wrong with it as long as you are OK with it. Like I said the skin tones were great. I really didn't know what to think about it and no one ever really responded. The colors look nice and rich in your posts.

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Are you comparing DPP colours to Adobe Standard?

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:13 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Yes Adobe Standard. I did try Adobe's Camera Standard but found there was too much punch and contrast and on top of that the skin tones turned off colour. That is a shame because skin tone rendering is one of the reasons I stuck with Canon. They have the best as far as I can see. I do a lot of portraits and I really like Canons for that.

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:23 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Thanks for the explanation Ralph. The 5D4 profile looks much improved. I usually just click through the camera profiles and pick what looks best. I don't do much stadium work with odd colored lights.

What is the impact of creating the profile under different lighting? I believe Arbitrage said he does his in the shade, outside? Would you create profiles for different conditions, sort of like using an Expodisc for a custom white balance?

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:37 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

No issues with my color checker and my Nikon bodies with blues or over-saturation. My goal with PP is always to make the photo look the closest to what it did to my eyes at the time, and the Colorchecker has been my favorite tool in doing so.

If you don't like the profile, it's super easy to back off an individual color or put a few negative points on the saturation slider. I *think* you can even tweak the colorchecker profile yourself after the fact, but I have never had to do that so I am not sure.

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Ralph. The 5D4 profile looks much improved. I usually just click through the camera profiles and pick what looks best. I don't do much stadium work with odd colored lights.

What is the impact of creating the profile under different lighting? I believe Arbitrage said he does his in the shade, outside? Would you create profiles for different conditions, sort of like using an Expodisc for a custom white balance?

You make a profile under every different lighting condition you want - each profile is specific to the scenario it is shot and created under. Most people would have the generic profiles made up (Sunlight, Shade, Overcast, etc.) and then a collection of other ones depending on where they end up shooting (certain light temperatures, stadium lighting, hockey arena, basketball court, flash, etc.). You can go one step further and make those profiles again for every one of your lenses, but I find the differences between lenses to be not noticeable most of the time.

For example if you were doing a portrait session, get the model to hold the colorchecker up to her face for the first shot, and then continue on afterwards as normal. At the end, you can perfect every photo's color in 1-2 clicks.

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:38 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Yes like Mark says. I got the CCP mostly because I wanted to sync two bodies' colours. But I will use it for single body work too, like portraits. I like the thought of being able to tweak the profile in the CCP software, and then do it for both bodies to the same amount. I think I could use a little less saturation by default, particularly for portraits . But I must say I have limited experience atm. I bought it late yesterday afternoon because I was in a hurry to profile the 5D4/1Dx combo to see if it would work the way I envisioned it and it does. But my portraits should be less saturated and have more subtle blacks. Will report back after some experimenting.

Feb 09, 2017 at 12:43 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

I purchased the CC passport to help me with my R/G color blindness issue. To me the concept just makes sense as there has to be some type of hard factual color standard. I wanted to eliminate any color issues that may be introduced by the camera and lens regardless of who the manufacture is.

When I first started to process my images they looked great to my eyes (most of the time) but several people here commented on my images looking over saturated. So, I stopped using all my custom profiles I had created under every imaginable light condition and camera /lens combo and went back to just selecting "camera faithful" in LR6 and begin my PP from there.

WB is a whole other ball of nasty wax for me but we won't go there right now.

Dave

Feb 09, 2017 at 01:32 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

We could go there actually. I noticed that WB was still an issue because I was shooting in cycling lights in the gym and the 1Dx didn't correct for that while the 5D4 did, as did my 5DsR. So at first I was put off by WB shifts "despite the CCP profiling" but then soon of course I remembered the flicker issue and I could match the images nicely by setting temperature to a fixed value and subsequently correcting tint. This of course should not be an issue with continuous lighting like daylight, strobes and continuous type light bulbs.

Ralph

Feb 09, 2017 at 01:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

One caution that I mentioned in the other thread. Profiles shot in sunrise and sunset (or Yukon winter) light are hideous. I should post some examples after work. Because I shoot outdoors I've found that profiles shot in high sun or shade look identical. So now I just create a single profile in shade at ISO 1250.

If you shoot indoors then different profiles for different venues and even different ISOs could be beneficial.

But I'm glad it worked out for you!! I knew it would🤓

Feb 09, 2017 at 02:53 PM
3CeeMedia

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

I bought color checked for the same reasons you did. I think it is perfect for that job. Different body/lens combinations starting with the same look. I still have to adjust colors but in general the starting pix look close enough that it looks like one camera. Recently I got DXO Pro Optics 11. I think it does a good job using its raw converter to make different camera/lens look very close. It is so good that in some situations I don't rely on the Color checker as much.

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

I use the passport to correct the files I use color munki to calibrate the monitor and printer

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:15 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

3CeeMedia wrote:
I bought color checked for the same reasons you did. I think it is perfect for that job. Different body/lens combinations starting with the same look. I still have to adjust colors but in general the starting pix look close enough that it looks like one camera. Recently I got DXO Pro Optics 11. I think it does a good job using its raw converter to make different camera/lens look very close. It is so good that in some situations I don't rely on the Color checker as much.

So can CCP be used by DxO too? Can it create profiles other than DCP? Or are those profiles suitable for other applications? Searched the DXO forums but it appears the color checker is an adobe toy.

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:48 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

arbitrage wrote:
One caution that I mentioned in the other thread. Profiles shot in sunrise and sunset (or Yukon winter) light are hideous. I should post some examples after work. Because I shoot outdoors I've found that profiles shot in high sun or shade look identical. So now I just create a single profile in shade at ISO 1250.

That's exactly what I had found with my sunrise and sunset profiles but just thought it was me or something I was doing wrong. Good to know.

So why are you using shade and ISO 1250?
And have you not seen any difference between cloudy and sunny blue sky?
I swear I see a significant shift but I don't trust my eyes.

Dave

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:01 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Fascinating solution. I have Xrite software and an iDisplay so it should be doable. I'll play with it.

Now with the technical details addressed, would you please explain to us heathens here in the USA just what the h*** are those people doing with that little soccer ball?

Robert

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:36 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Stupid question... when shooting the CCP to create a profile, should I be trying to fill the frame with it? I assume it needs at least some minimum number of pixels on each square.

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:56 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

Hi Kyle, no you don't need to fill the frame. You can put it in the hands of a model and shoot your usual waist portrait. Once converted to DNG, the xrite software will find the squares and mark all squares with green outline so you know it's working properly.

Ralph

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:15 PM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Colorchecker workflow: easy! 1Dx and 5D4 balanced

This isn't a take it or leave it deal. There is a whole range of warm to cool that you can select. X-Rite calls it the Creative Enhancement Target. It is the panel opposite the standard Classic target. The two rows in the center of that panel.

Zenon Char wrote:
I have it and I'm not trying to put anyone off with colorchecker. I found the blues too saturated. I noticed that all the colours have more punch in your post and I'm not saying that is bad. It looks good to me.

When I was getting into I did some tests of my wife's arm on an end table with other junk so I could compare. Skin tones looked good but she was definitely wearing a teal sweater and it came out blue. I even asked her to look at it and and she said it did not
...Show more

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.