New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

Can I join if I don't have the Art version ?

Feb 22, 2017 at 04:45 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

I guess, as long as they are images of art.

Feb 22, 2017 at 04:46 AM
GerryS.

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

Hello, is there anybody out there using this lens on an DX oder DX MII for sports photography?

Feb 22, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Mike Bons
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

Only limited experience with the 85A so far but initial impressions are of course it's really sharp, focus is accurate but I found use the high precision point really helps to nail the focus when shooting at 1.4. As well, although the lens is rather big and heavy it feels comfortable when mounted on the 5DIII, not as good as the 135L but much better than the 70-200 2.8. I've only used it to do some test shots of my family but here are a few with my family.

Feb 23, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Mike Bons
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

I am interested to hear if anyone else has had any issues with there 85 art. I used this lens for about 4 shoots, the last being a wedding in February. It then sat on a shelf for a couple of months. In April I picked it up again to use on a shoot and it was incredibly soft. Took in home to check things out and it wasn't a back or front focusing issue and it wasn't a shutter speed issue. I then took it back to the retailer who sent it off to Sigma (Gentec here in Canada) on April 27/17. Original statement from Sigma was that I had dropped the lens and caused the element to come loose but they were still going do a complimentary fix. I assured them that is not what happened. I was actually pretty pissed off as there is absolutely no grounds to make that allegation as the lens still looks in pristine condition. After many phone calls from the retailer to Sigma, I finally received by lens back on Friday (July 21/17). After speaking with the retailer, they are saying that they had to R&D a new part for my lens as the piece that held the element(s) in place was not beefy enough and that after receiving my lens, there have been other 85 arts coming in with the same issue. Besides alleging that I had dropped the lens, they never offered my any kind of loaner while they R&D a new part which took them about 12 weeks. Luckily I had some other glass that could get the job done while this was in for repair. The good new is that I have it back and it seems to be back normal, tack sharp and focusing accurately.
Anyone else with a similar issue?

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ashton lamont
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

What does "R&D" mean? "research and develop"? Is this part only just in circulation and therefore all existing lenses ought to be upgraded? I haven't experienced your issue. My 85mm f1.4 Art is relatively new - maybe all recent ones have been manufactured with the revised part. Did your retailer supply any more information? Thanks.

Pete

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:24 AM
Mike Bons
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

Yes, research and development, those were the words used by the retailer. From what I gather my lens was the first one sent in with the issue so therefor Sigma was blaming the issue on me. The longer my lens sat at the repair center the more lenses that came in with a similar issue, so they then took a little more serious look at their product.
As far as I know only those lenses in for repair will have the new part. Will all new ones being produced right now have the new part, how long it will take to go until they do and will there be a recall, etc, I have no idea.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 PM
bluloo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

I haven't used my 85 Art all that much, but may need to, and will be paying attention to this issue. Thanks for posting.

Jul 26, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Todd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

Mike Bons wrote:
Only limited experience with the 85A so far but initial impressions are of course it's really sharp, focus is accurate but I found use the high precision point really helps to nail the focus when shooting at 1.4. As well, although the lens is rather big and heavy it feels comfortable when mounted on the 5DIII, not as good as the 135L but much better than the 70-200 2.8. I've only used it to do some test shots of my family but here are a few with my family.

http://www.mikebons.com/img/s5/v118/p2171744600-5.jpg

http://www.mikebons.com/img/s12/v176/p2171746468-5.jpg

http://www.mikebons.com/img/s11/v34/p2171746578-5.jpg

http://www.mikebons.com/img/s9/v94/p2216245330-5.jpg

Excellent photos. I have thi lens also, love it! It also does great with astronomy

Constellation Orion

NIKON D810    85.0 mm f/1.4 lens    85mm    f/2.0    78s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 29, 2017 at 04:50 AM
Tom Abbott
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma 85 1.4 art Images Thread

Our dog, Momo:

Momo in B&W by S F, on Flickr

Sep 03, 2017 at 03:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register