New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-there-is-definitely-an-olympus-17mm-f1-2-pro-lens-on-the-roadmap/

We will now have the m43 Holy Trinity!

Edited on Feb 09, 2017 at 02:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2017 at 01:54 AM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

Looks good but I bet it's going to be $1200 as well which will make is out of reach for most of the m4/3 shooters.

Feb 09, 2017 at 02:25 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

Awesome!

I can't afford any lens or any camera at the moment (which may actually be a good thing as I instead use what I have ) but the 17 F1.2 would be on my to have list. I still haven't decided on the 25 1.2 seeing how I LOVE my Panasonic 25 1.4. Only problem with that is lack of weather sealing.

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:21 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

The PL 25/1.4 is a great compact lens but the rattle-snaking noise bothered me somewhat. Received my copy of the Oly 25/1.2 and I can't wait to use it next weekend in Venice! It's a great lens for low light work and bokeh/blur quality is as good as the Nocticron.

Wilbus wrote:
Awesome!

I can't afford any lens or any camera at the moment (which may actually be a good thing as I instead use what I have ) but the 17 F1.2 would be on my to have list. I still haven't decided on the 25 1.2 seeing how I LOVE my Panasonic 25 1.4. Only problem with that is lack of weather sealing.

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:01 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

The Olympus 25 1.2 is a great lens, one of my favorites that I've ever used, which is surprising to me since I only had it for about a month. I didn't find it to be too big or too heavy. It screams quality. Nonetheless I did end up selling it since I plan on getting the GH5 and would rather have better consistency in performance (DFD, etc). Also was able to replace it with both the 25 1.4 and 15 1.7 for half the price of the 25 1.2 by itself.

I know some really want the 17 in a 1.2. Would've been interesting if they were able to make it a 17.5, but I don't think Olympus does those .5 lenses like Panasonic does. I'm not a big 35mm shooter so I wouldn't pay a premium for a 1.2. In my opinion a 35mm focal length is perfect for street shooting which I think is probably why the x100 series are 35 equivalents. Having a big lens on the end of the camera negates some of the street shooting look. I also have doubts that the 17 1.2 will be smaller than the 25. Most 35 1.4's in the traditional dslr lenses at least are bigger than their 1.4 counterparts (Sigma Art lenses seem to be th exception to this).

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:41 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

That could be my walk around lens for my G85 . . . 35mm FF equivalent is what I like to have in general on a camera and if this lens is any good wide open it may just stay at that aperture. Bring it on Olympus!

And what fast lens will Panasonic introduce to compete . . .

Feb 11, 2017 at 04:35 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

Only real "downside", if its even fair to call it that, is that with a true 17mm focal length, even being f1.2 isn't going to really produce much in the way of subject isolation.

I found the 25/1.2 to be quite nice in the way it rendered, and with short subject to camera distance it certainly can deliver a nice background blur, but at more full body length framing there wasn't really a ton of separation. Bit smoother than the 25/1.4, or the 30/1.4 Sigma lenses I've owned, but compared to my Leica Q with a true 28mm f1.7, or the Sony RX1 with the 35/2, I can't really see a 17/1.2 providing much bang for the buck, at least for my tastes/needs.

I used to own the 15/1.7 as well, which again, while producing a very pleasing OOF rendering, didn't really produce a ton of it. The upsides to that lens though was its compact size and aperture ring (only useful on Panny gear of course).

If the 17/1.2 is closer in size to the 25/1.2, then it would be kind of a big (and likely pricey) lens to carry around that still isn't going to give much subject isolation.

Of course there are advantages to fast glass besides shallow DoF, such as lower ISO's, so still valid reasons for such a lens, but I've kind of given up with m4/3, and even APS-C, for subject isolation on wider FoV lenses.

I still love the format for longer focal lengths in a compact size, and lenses like the 100-400 and 75/1.8 are unrivaled, but for wider focal lengths, I've just never found enough subject isolation ability to really satisfy me.

Feb 11, 2017 at 06:17 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

Well, we all know that you don't buy into m43 for low DOF applications, so no surprise above. The fast lenses are there to provide lower ISO and lower DOF, but not match what a FF sensor can do.

That's why I have both a m43 and FX camera systems.

Feb 11, 2017 at 05:15 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

jhinkey wrote:
Well, we all know that you don't buy into m43 for low DOF applications, so no surprise above. The fast lenses are there to provide lower ISO and lower DOF, but not match what a FF sensor can do.

That's why I have both a m43 and FX camera systems.

But I want it all in one, lightweight, inexpensive system!! 😫

Feb 11, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

mitesh wrote:

Patience, grasshopper.

Feb 11, 2017 at 07:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

You can get pretty shallow DOF with f1.2 and f0.95 m43 lenses. True that you can't get ultra-low DOF but why would you want only 2 eyelashes in focus instead of the whole eye?

mitesh wrote:

Feb 11, 2017 at 08:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

For me its not so much the ultra shallow DoF look. I actually am more than happy with lens like the 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron or the 75mm f1.8 with regards to DoF for typical portrait type applications. I've owned lenses like the Canon 85mm f1.2 before and wide open they are honestly a bit too thin in many instances, where as you mention its literally like having 2 eyelashes instead of a whole eye in focus. To me that can sometimes detract a bit from an otherwise nice portrait. Given I was often stopping lens like that down to f2 or more, f1.2 on m4/3 works fine.

The thing is though that what works for longer focal lengths doesn't really hold true for wider focal lengths (at least for me). I actually recently sold my Fuji system and lenses like the 16mm f1.4, which while quite excellent, just couldn't give enough subject separation for my taste, unless of course your quite close to your subject.

What I like, and again its purely a manner of taste, is being able to have a wider FoV, or a fair bit of subject to camera distance, and still get enough separation from the background. Basically be able to get a full body length shot plus environmental context.

Lens like the 15mm f1.7 just fall a bit short in this regard. Get really close and the rendering is actually quite nice, its just that if your at 10 feet from the point of focus pretty much everything is in focus, or the OOF rendering is minimal enough to makes it look like everything is in focus.

Here is an example of the look I enjoy from the Q, I'm about 7-10 feet from the point of focus, shooting with a 28mm focal length, and there is actually some foreground and background separation. Its a look I enjoy, having a wide FoV, but also a DoF that would need to be produced from a longer focal length. I will say the Q's lens is a bit unique in that it produces a transition from in to out of focus that exceeds what you'd expect from a 28mm focal length. My Sony 28mm f2.0 for example didn't produce nearly the same look, and my RX1 with its longer 35mm f2 Sonnar didn't quite either.

Essentially there is the true DoF of a focal length, then there is the rendering, which sometimes is more or less than you'd expect. My 35mm f2.8 Biogon-C looked like it had shallower DoF at f2.8 than my 35mm f2.0 Biogon at F2.0.

So, there is potential for a 17mm f1.2 to punch a bit above its weight, and I'll no doubt buy one to try it, but, I'm expecting to basically have a pretty big/heavy lens, costing about $1499, which probably won't really give me the subject isolation look I'm after. I wouldn't mind being wrong though!

One nice thing with the Q though is that it shares the same Panasonic battery as the GX8, G85 etc, so it makes a really nice 2 body kit throwing the Q and a GX8 with a Nocticron into a little shoulder bag, and letting the two bodies both excel in different areas

LEICA Q (Typ 116)    28.0 mm f/1.7 lens    28mm    f/1.7    1/250s    100 ISO    -0.6 EV  

Feb 12, 2017 at 03:16 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

millsart wrote:
For me its not so much the ultra shallow DoF look. I actually am more than happy with lens like the 42.5 f1.2 Nocticron or the 75mm f1.8 with regards to DoF for typical portrait type applications. I've owned lenses like the Canon 85mm f1.2 before and wide open they are honestly a bit too thin in many instances, where as you mention its literally like having 2 eyelashes instead of a whole eye in focus. To me that can sometimes detract a bit from an otherwise nice portrait. Given I was often stopping lens like that down to f2
...Show more

Cute dog, but that OOF just doesn't work for me in landscape mode. I am a DOF junky because I like landscape, but I can get too thin DOF with my 40-150 2.8. Have you tried that?

Feb 13, 2017 at 04:21 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

I did have the 40-150/2.8 for a while, but ended up swapping it out for a 35-100/2.8 and a bunch of cash. Given I shoot the GX8 the 35-100 worked a bit better as it had OIS built in. Honestly though I far prefer the 75/1.8 over both those zooms. Ideal combo of compact size, nice reach, and a great rendering ability.

Issue of course is that you need a fair bit of subject distance so I'd have to tie my dog's leash off to a tree or something, walk back about 50, and then take the same shot

Feb 14, 2017 at 02:20 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

millsart wrote:
I did have the 40-150/2.8 for a while, but ended up swapping it out for a 35-100/2.8 and a bunch of cash. Given I shoot the GX8 the 35-100 worked a bit better as it had OIS built in. Honestly though I far prefer the 75/1.8 over both those zooms. Ideal combo of compact size, nice reach, and a great rendering ability.

Issue of course is that you need a fair bit of subject distance so I'd have to tie my dog's leash off to a tree or something, walk back about 50, and then take the same shot

! I hear you! I used to have the 75mm and indeed it an amazing piece.

Feb 14, 2017 at 02:22 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

17mm with M4/3 can isolate a background easily, just as 24 1.4 FF can have infinite DOF at 1.4. It all depends on the situation.

With 17mm and M4/3 and a subject distance of 10ft, at 1.2 you will have DOF of around 4ft with a range of about 8.5ft to just over 12ft. If your subject has space behind that furthest distance you should be fine.

If I was only going to use M4/3 I would consider this lens but since it is just a second system and I don't need shallow DOF with M4/3 so much, I will just use my Canon 17mm f4 lens when needed.

Feb 14, 2017 at 04:20 AM
The Hexagonal

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

I am interested in going m4/3 with these 1.2 lenses.

Anyone know where to find the 17mm 1.2 full res samples? When are they going to be in the stores? Why are they not in the hands of more people on first looks and reviews? Information seems very scarce.

Since I am making inroads into video with the GH5, I thought I'd go stills with an Oly Pen-F and a couple of these 1.2 (the 25 and 17) and have a one system combo.

Nov 03, 2017 at 02:37 PM
maf27
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

The Hexagonal wrote:
I am interested in going m4/3 with these 1.2 lenses.

Anyone know where to find the 17mm 1.2 full res samples? When are they going to be in the stores? Why are they not in the hands of more people on first looks and reviews? Information seems very scarce.

Since I am making inroads into video with the GH5, I thought I'd go stills with an Oly Pen-F and a couple of these 1.2 (the 25 and 17) and have a one system combo.

The 17 1.2 will be released in January 2018. Olympus does not have a final copy to release for testing. I played around with a "beta" copy during the photo show in Javits Center last week. Even in low light, the lens performs well and the image quality is really very nice. They allowed us to use the other new release lens 45 1.2 and we were able to save those images onto our SD cards. But not the 17 1.2 - not yet.

Nov 03, 2017 at 05:46 PM
The Hexagonal

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Olympus 17/1.2 PRO

maf27 wrote:
The 17 1.2 will be released in January 2018. Olympus does not have a final copy to release for testing. I played around with a "beta" copy during the photo show in Javits Center last week. Even in low light, the lens performs well and the image quality is really very nice. They allowed us to use the other new release lens 45 1.2 and we were able to save those images onto our SD cards. But not the 17 1.2 - not yet.

Thanks for your reply.

I see now. I am rather eager to see more samples from that lens. Any more comments you can share on it?

Nov 04, 2017 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password