Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

I have an SSD installed in my desktop pc and want to install DPP4 on it for maximum performance but the Canon installation routine doesn't give an option to install in anything other than a default place, which is the C drive

Anybody solved this?

Feb 08, 2017 at 02:43 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

Right click installer and choose "install as admin".

Feb 08, 2017 at 03:12 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

Andrew J wrote:
Right click installer and choose "install as admin".

I cannot find any option to do that

Feb 08, 2017 at 03:45 PM
wabbey

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

probably have to install on the drive were your OS is. Maybe make the SSD the scratch drive?

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

wabbey wrote:
probably have to install on the drive were your OS is. Maybe make the SSD the scratch drive?

Tried that with my PS installation, PS hated it and slowed to a crawl which really surprised me. AFAIK you can't designate a scratch drive in DPP

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:29 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

don't worry about where DPP is installed. Once it loads in memory it makes no difference.

the real benefit is to put your RAW files on an SSD for processing

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

Sorry, "run as admin". For me it is the second option. Putting your OS on the SSD would be much better.

Edit:
It does not allow you to choose the drive, even when installing in safe mode.

Edited on Feb 08, 2017 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:39 PM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

I recently contacted Canon support because I wanted to do the reverse - keep my SSD clear of little-used apps to maximize free workspace.

Their response was that there's no way to redirect the install; no secret command line directives, nothing. However, they said it was OK to just install then manually move the executable folder after the fact. I did just that, and it seems to work fine.

That said, I agree that there's little to be gained by putting the DPP software itself on an SSD, other than maybe a slightly reduced startup time. You should see a benefit from having the raw files and the output directory on the SSD for improved performance however.

Feb 08, 2017 at 05:45 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

Thanks for all the replies, I am underwhelmed by the SSD for anything other than cold boot, it seems to make little difference to PS or LR

Feb 09, 2017 at 02:57 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

My SSD drive on my desktop performs very fast for PS & LR on my laptop its slow using a SSD drive .. The drive on the Desktop is a Pro Samsung, the one on the laptop is one I let a tech tell me is rated as good or better than Samsung

I use to have a Samsung Pro on my laptop and it to was very fast loading LR & PS

My conclusion.... all SSD's are not the same performing...

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:41 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

Luckily my C: drive is an SSD, but it's annoying that I can't install DPP where I like. What era does Canon think we are living in, probably 5 lines of code to allows user choice of install directory.

I agree Samsung Pro are great drives, but San Disk make some nice alternatives.

Feb 09, 2017 at 04:10 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

IndyFab wrote:
My conclusion.... all SSD's are not the same performing...

I think that is very true, although you would expect any SSD to be faster than a hard disc, perhaps not.

Feb 09, 2017 at 04:14 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

dhphoto wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, I am underwhelmed by the SSD for anything other than cold boot, it seems to make little difference to PS or LR

If you goal is to speed of the processing of images in LR/PS, perhaps where you install it is not the only thing that is important. In my case, I have LR open for days at a time, so having it on an SSD isn't going to have much impact since I'm not loading it much. But you want to make sure LR/PS are using your graphics card to help process those images (there is a setting to adjust that), and in LR at least, there is a cache space you can adjust:

Edit | Preferences | File Handling | Camera Raw Cache Settings

Here, make sure the cache is pointed to the SSD and then make the actually cache size way greater than 1GB. Mine is 10 GB right now.

After you do that go here:

Edit | Preferences | Performance | Camera Raw

and check the box to use your graphics processor. You might want to get a GTX 1070/1080 or something like that.

Once you do that, then consider breaking up your catalogs to keep performance up. If you have several years in a single catalog...then you may want to spend the time breaking them up and going yearly from here out.

PS probably has similar, but I don't use DPP much (only when I get a new camera!) so I cannot comment, but I imagine it has similar too, since it is basically a poor clone of LR (or LR is a poor clone of DPP, I don't know which came first).

Hope this helps someone....

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:36 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

dhphoto wrote:

Could be worth checking that bios/drivers etc are allowing it to function at its best, e.g. use trimcheck, and an SSD benchmark tool so you can see if it's underperforming:

https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/the-ultimate-guide-to-ssd-benchmark-software/

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:48 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

dhphoto wrote:

Fact. I have tested two identical machines, one with a Samsung SSD as the system disk and the other with a spinner (V-Raptor). There was not two eyelashes worth of difference between them once the HDD machine had booted and cached the apps in the (not inconsequential) 32GB of RAM.

Feb 09, 2017 at 08:29 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

RogerZoul wrote:
Once you do that, then consider breaking up your catalogs to keep performance up. If you have several years in a single catalog...then you may want to spend the time breaking them up and going yearly from here out.

I have always used a new catalog with each pro job, which is then stored and backed up with the RAW files. I don't like huge sprawling files anywhere (perhaps that's why I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft or Adobe)

Interesting stuff, it seems SSD's have their place, but they aren't magic

Feb 09, 2017 at 01:59 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

RogerZoul wrote:
If you goal is to speed of the processing of images in LR/PS, perhaps where you install it is not the only thing that is important. In my case, I have LR open for days at a time, so having it on an SSD isn't going to have much impact since I'm not loading it much. But you want to make sure LR/PS are using your graphics card to help process those images (there is a setting to adjust that), and in LR at least, there is a cache space you can adjust:

Edit | Preferences | File Handling | Camera
...Show more

Clearing cache helps immensely...

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:15 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

What is your objective? DPP is slow with edits and exports but it seems to be processor dependant so any effort to change to faster I/O will not speed things up by much. Just learn to live with it or buy the latest and fastest processors.

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

You really need to install the LR catalog on an SSD to see speedier performance and loading times. I have a done this for LR and Bridge cache.

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:49 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Install DPP4 on an SSD anyone?

All my programs go on a SSD, it is drive C. SSD's are reasonably priced, under $130 for a 480 GB Drive that will easily hold OS, programs, and even a Lightroom catalog, so put your programs on a SSD and data files on a spinning drive.

I have a exceptionally large number of programs on my pc, but still only use about 220 GB.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-480GB-SDSSDA-480G-G26-Newest-Version/dp/B01F9G46Q8/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486706670&sr=1-3&keywords=ssd&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A14027459011

Feb 10, 2017 at 01:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.