Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

I'm looking to buy a new Dell XPS 15 inch laptop and I just don't know about adding the extra Support & Service or Accidental Damage service plans. Are they a good deal with a laptop that is going to see a lot of travel? If so, what do you suggest for the number of years to purchase or what have you done. I guess it is like buying insurance for anything, you take a gamble one way or the other. Opinions

Below is the one I'm looking at, Thanks

The new 2017 Dell XPS 15 inch laptop

Feb 08, 2017 at 05:13 AM
droaingsong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

I would go with the 2 or 3 years support with them. I like their support as they are pretty helpful when my previous laptop had motherboard issues. They replaced it with a whole new motherboard and gave it a new life.

Feb 08, 2017 at 01:35 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

I have insurance on camera gear so insurance on a expensive somewhat fragile laptop should be on par. I'm liking your suggestion for a 2 or 3 year plan. Thanks

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

Support IMHO is not worth it with the internet at your fingertips. The phone techs can only do so much without seeing the computer, which isn't any different than a few google searches can tell you. My experience with these "expert technicians" is extremely basic info read from a script, and to send it in if the simplest things to try don't fix it.

Accidental damage protection IMHO is also not necessary if you have insurance but it's up to you. The cost is likely less than your insurance deductible, but the chances of you destroying your laptop are also likely very slim. I would also read every last word about the fine print. These add on services are where they make almost 100% profit, so just keep that in mind.

Either way though the XPS 15 is a phenomenal laptop, good choice. I would recommend the i7, 512GB PCI-SSD, 16GB Ram, 1080P matte display and the big battery

Feb 08, 2017 at 09:57 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

I do hear you about support over the phone and the possible language barrier. I have seen tech service login on the computer remotely to see what is going on, that only works if the computer works and a internet connection.

I'll look over the fine print.

I'm going a step further with the model (the clickie link goes to it in op):
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
1TB PCIe Solid State Drive
32GB DDR4-2400MHz;
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5
15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
Battery 97WHr that comes with it.

Feb 08, 2017 at 11:13 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

Doing some more research I have discovered that my credit card will double the 1 year warranty that Dell provides for free.

My Personal Articles insurance policy I can add the laptop and cover it for purchase cost and it will come with a deductible I can pick the value. Yearly cost is about $70 and I can drop it after a few years. And that covers it being broken, lost or stolen for the cost of the value minus the deductible.

So I'm thinking of just getting the service 1 year repair that Dell provides for free and for the damage service adding it to my personal articles for a couple of years.

Feb 09, 2017 at 12:20 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

I believe that 4K display is glossy, where the 1080P one is matte (for me glossy screens are a deal-breaker, especially for photo work). Also the 1080P model will have significantly better battery life.

Make sure you are OK with 4K, not everything scales well to 4K, a GTX1050 is not nearly powerful enough to push 4K in anything other than basic programs, and personally I think 4K on a 15" screen is unnecessary especially if the alternative is a matte display with better battery life. Otherwise you have spec'd yourself out a beast of a laptop, you're going to love it. The XPS15 is probably the one I would buy at the moment as well.

That 1TB SSD adds a massive bump to the price over the 512gb, so just make sure you need and will use all that space If you're using external drives or cloud storage for storage anyway, you may not need it.

I would agree with your warranty assessment - almost every major credit card with an annual fee provides that extra year warranty, so that's great -just check if it has a dollar amount cap. The fact that these companies make almost pure profit off those "services" is your best insight to whether or not they are worth it.

Feb 09, 2017 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

photoin.nyc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

CanadaMark wrote:
I believe that 4K display is glossy, where the 1080P one is matte (for me glossy screens are a deal-breaker, especially for photo work). Also the 1080P model will have significantly better battery life.

Make sure you are OK with 4K, not everything scales well to 4K, a GTX1050 is not nearly powerful enough to push 4K in anything other than basic programs, and personally I think 4K on a 15" screen is unnecessary especially if the alternative is a matte display with better battery life. Otherwise you have spec'd yourself out a beast of a laptop, you're going to love
...Show more

Once you go 4k, you can't go back

I have the first version and bought it from Microsoft. Got the 3 years extended warranty straight from MS not Dell just to have some peace of mind, but if you have CC insurance and separate insurance for everything you own, it should be enough.

I had to send mine back because one of the speakers was buzzing and got it back in within a week.

Feb 14, 2017 at 04:09 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

I have one and love almost everything about it. I also am the IT Director at an environmental engineering company, where we are primarily a Dell shop.

When it comes to the warranty on personal laptops, I recommend the 3 year. Here's why. We buy laptops to last 4-5 years, and I recommend home/personal users do too. If the laptop breaks in year 2, it's still an excellent laptop and you want it fixed. If it breaks in year 4, you were going to replace it within 12 months anyway. So, a three year warranty becomes the Goldilocks size. I do not recommend the accidental damage unless you are a klutz with a proven record of such.

As for the display, the 4k display is glossy, and does use bunches of juice. OTOH, it has a true 100% aRGB gamut, calibrates quite nicely, and is lovely to look at. This from a guy who uses a NEC PA271 at home. Get the 4k.

Peace,

Todd

Feb 16, 2017 at 04:34 AM
vondes

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

can help in the search, I think you are looking for the 2016 NEWEST DELL INSPIRON 15 15.6 "PREMIUM HIGH PERFORMANCE LAPTOP. A good choice, too, think to buy it

Feb 22, 2017 at 09:46 PM
ZhanMing12
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

Why not buy from MS and use their support? IMO if you live in an area near a Microsoft store, the service is excellent. I have two-year plans on all of my laptops.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

One thought on the extended warranties through your credit card company. I had that situation once and the "warranty" was reimbursement for repair costs. While I had no net out of pocket expense I did have to wait for the item to be repaired.

Many of the Dell extended warranties offer quick turnaround, sometimes next business day. If you lack that warranty you most likely will have to send your machine to Dell with their normal repair turnaround which can be 2-3 weeks not including shipping. Sure, you will be reimbursed for the cost but can you afford to be without that piece of equipment that long?

Feb 23, 2017 at 06:10 PM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Dell XPS 15 inch Laptop - adding services ??

Just to weigh in. Dell had a deal on their "Premier" service when I bought mine a couple weeks ago. 4 years for the price of 3. I have had experience with Dell's standard service and the better level of support that XPS computer's used to get. The higher level of service was hugely better, including coming to my house and repairing the computer there, instead of mailing it to a service center for god knows how long (I used this service twice.) On top of that, the phone support was much better. I decided to buy premium service for 4 years.

Apr 07, 2017 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password