Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

So, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Leica M10 rangefinder and lens. I find myself struggling to decide which lens to start with - a 35mm or 50mm!

I want something that is a happy medium between being able to shoot scenes (i.e. street and simple landscapes) and do double duty (kind of) as an occasional portrait lens (full body and/or 3/4 length simple people portraits in a scene).

I am somewhat leaning towards something in the 50mm area. I am only buying one lens for starters and will add more down the road so, for now, it is a matter of which one provides the best happy-medium. Most people start with the 35mm and shoot street, and I don't think they are usually looking to do double duty shooting portraits in a scene.

What would you do in this scenario if you were fixated on a Leica M for use in the situations I describe?

Feb 07, 2017 at 11:53 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

I began shooting Leica this past year. 50 is going to be too tight for street work in the most traditional sense. I started with 35, and it's good for street, but I often yearn for 28.
You can make 35 work for street and portraits, but I suspect you'll regret starting with a 50, unless portrait work dominates your shooting, in which case it would be favored.
My experience and opinion only! . I have both 35 and 50 Zeiss glass - each for it's designated purpose.

Tim

Feb 08, 2017 at 01:53 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

Tough decision indeed... I believe that a 50mm lens works best as part of a 28/50/90 trio in which the wide and tele lenses provide appreciably different fields of view to the 50. On the other hand, a 35mm lens can be used for both street and environmental portraits and forms a natural pair with a 75mm for tighter portraits.

Feb 08, 2017 at 07:21 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

From a portrait perspective, I think you'd regret your decision if you went with the 35. I like gengi's approach the best. A 50 followed by a 28 that you could use for street, and then add a 90 for an additional portrait lens. This is of course coming from someone who doesn't shoot street.

Feb 08, 2017 at 08:40 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

Prepare for blasphemy. Go Zeiss and get both!

For about the price of either one of the Summicrons, you could get a 35mm and 50mm Zeiss. The reviews of the Zeiss are very favorable.

If you have to go with Leitz, I would lean towards the 35mm to start with, especially if you do any travel photography.

I dragged out my M3 the other day. I'm about to order some good old Tri-X and run some rolls. I really want to get a Monocrom, especially if they do an upgrade and reduce the price to around that of the M10. The problem is I also want to upgrade all my glass.

If you use LR, you could get an analysis plugin like Data Plot that would show you your lens use percentages. That may help you decide.

Feb 08, 2017 at 09:18 AM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

Thanks all for the input!

I think I need to give more thought as to what the starting breakdown (in percentage terms) of shots will be with this new kit - environmental portraits versus street, etc...

Feb 08, 2017 at 02:22 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

russdenney01 wrote:
Thanks all for the input!

I think I need to give more thought as to what the starting breakdown (in percentage terms) of shots will be with this new kit - environmental portraits versus street, etc...

That's a great idea. When you've done that you should post your question (including the percentage breakdown) to the Alternative Gear and Lenses forum, which is where FM Leica users hang out. You will get a range of useful opinions from members who have a wealth of experience using Leica M cameras and who will be more than happy to help you make a decision. There's an M10 thread running now which may be of interest to you.

The Zeiss lenses that dmacmillan suggested are an excellent option and some of the Voigtlander RF lenses are very good too.

Feb 08, 2017 at 06:34 PM
highcontrast
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tough decision (for me anyway)...

I added Leica to my bag in mid-2016, and have been making some of the same decisions over the past 6-8 months.

If, as you mention in your original post, you're doing more scenic/landscape with the occasional environmental portrait, I think you'd be better served by a 35 as a first lens rather than a 50. There are lots of great choices for 35mm lenses in M-mount, from Zeiss, Voigtlander, and Leica, for about any budget. 35's can make fabulous portrait lenses in addition to being useful for street, scenics, travel, and landscapes, and lots of one-lens Leica shooters use a 35 as their versatile lens-of-choice.

I started with a 50 myself (actually, two of them that render very differently), as I've always been a 50mm shooter. I then added a 90mm for more traditional portraiture. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 35 now - most likely one of the Zeiss options (though the little Voigtlander Color-Skopar is very tempting and its rendering is awesome for portraits).

Good advice above about visiting the alt gear forum, as well. Good luck!

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.