FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

Brian Woolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

I have been having a problem with the images that I shoot in the swamp, down here in Florida. They look quite beautiful in person but back home on the computer they look very flat and dull. I down loaded the NIK collection, now that it is free (thanks Google) and was trying out the different sections. I tried the HDR unit and found that a few of the choices seem to add some depth and an ethereal beauty that I feel when in the swamp.
So basically, what do you think of these images? Yea or nay?
I make test prints that are 20x13 on a 24x18 sheet and while I find that if I pixel peep the files look strange, at the size I print they look sort of normal. One of the thing that I like is the graying of the sky, in normal sepia the sky is always very light and this always was a distraction. Funny thing this HDR stuff doesn't work on very many files, some look down right awful.
Thanks for any feedback.
Brian

Loxahatchee cypress swamp one

Loxahatchee cypress swamp two

Feb 07, 2017 at 07:54 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

I like both of these Brian ~ Ron

Feb 07, 2017 at 09:14 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

I like the extended tonal range. Unfortunately, it appears your HDR treatment has left a rather blotchy sky in #1 - upper left.

Feb 07, 2017 at 10:04 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

Brian I was down in your area a couple weeks ago. Was this in the area north of Riverbend park? I kayaked through there!

These are really wonderful scenes. You've really brought home the lush vegetation. I also think that the sepia rendition would work for the scene. However, overall these are very low in contrast, which is typical of HDR. I don't know if the software would allow you to fiddle with the contrast during production of the HDR, but that would probably be preferable. But even if not, using levels/curves to punch it up would probably bring this to life.

Dave

Feb 07, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

surfnron wrote:
I like both of these Brian ~ Ron

Thanks Ron, glad you found them interesting
---------------------------------------------

wlpelzmann wrote:
I like the extended tonal range. Unfortunately, it appears your HDR treatment has left a rather blotchy sky in #1 - upper left.

Thanks, wipelzmann, I am actually liking that blotchiness in the sky, appreciate the comment.
Brian
---------------------------------------------

dsjtecserv wrote:
Brian I was down in your area a couple weeks ago. Was this in the area north of Riverbend park? I kayaked through there!

These are really wonderful scenes. You've really brought home the lush vegetation. I also think that the sepia rendition would work for the scene. However, overall these are very low in contrast, which is typical of HDR. I don't know if the software would allow you to fiddle with the contrast during production of the HDR, but that would probably be preferable. But even if not, using levels/curves to punch it up would probably bring this to
...Show more

Thanks Dave, my Loxahatchee was south of you at Delray Beach area in the Arthur S. Marshall tract. Will have to check out the Riverbed area as it is about a 1hour and 20 minute drive from me. Would like to do some kayaking and photography there, looks promising.
Thanks for the advice, there is plenty of options in the NIK software in photoshop , so adding contrast shouldn't be a problem.
Brian

Feb 10, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

I like the second one, Brian. Generally, these very busy and detailed types of forest scenes are a processing and presentation nightmare. I have only a few busy forest images in my portfolio. Too often they don't make images that are easy and pleasant to view. And sharpening and pegging for web presentation is nearly impossible;e. Yours is pretty nice.

Feb 10, 2017 at 04:24 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

Jeffrey wrote:
I like the second one, Brian. Generally, these very busy and detailed types of forest scenes are a processing and presentation nightmare. I have only a few busy forest images in my portfolio. Too often they don't make images that are easy and pleasant to view. And sharpening and pegging for web presentation is nearly impossible;e. Yours is pretty nice.

Thanks, Jeffery I do agree that most busy images don't work out very well, was surprised that these did.
Brian

Feb 13, 2017 at 01:54 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

I've been generally happy with the NIK HDR, even with single shots. I've found that I almost always have to add contrast when I get them back in LR. It's fun to try the different effects. I like both of these.

Feb 13, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Loxhatchee cypress swamp - sepia HDR

psharvic wrote:
I've been generally happy with the NIK HDR, even with single shots. I've found that I almost always have to add contrast when I get them back in LR. It's fun to try the different effects. I like both of these.

Thanks, psharvic, for the kind words.
Brian

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.