Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

szzara

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

I was wondering if anyone has tested the chromatic aberration on the new Sigma 85 Art lens at 1.4?

I own the the non-art sigma 85 and at 1.4 the chromatic aberration was very noticeable. Curious to see if there has been any improvement worth the upgrade.

Feb 07, 2017 at 12:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

szzara wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has tested the chromatic aberration on the new Sigma 85 Art lens at 1.4?

I own the the non-art sigma 85 and at 1.4 the chromatic aberration was very noticeable. Curious to see if there has been any improvement worth the upgrade.

I was under the impression it was hardly any better, which is a major bummer as I have the same lens and while it's optically excellent CA is prominent. Although now I would never consider the Sigma Art just on size and weight alone.

I'm waiting for the Canon 84 f/1.4L IS hopefully it will come with the BR lens which almosrt eliminates CA as in the 35 f/1.4L II.

Feb 07, 2017 at 08:02 PM
jtaylor996

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

It seems to have some axial CA, but practically zero lateral CA. According to http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-85mm-f-1.4-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx

The lateral charts on DXO basically show almost nothing, too.

Feb 07, 2017 at 08:41 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

szzara wrote:

It's the second-best lens on the planet, according to the pocket protector crowd...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1473880

Feb 07, 2017 at 08:55 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

szzara wrote:

It's there, you can download RAW files from DPReview's galleries and see how it looks in various situations and how well it cleans up.

Personally, while I find LoCA objectionable, I didn't find that it was very difficult for Lightroom to clean up, versus say my 85/1.8 USM or 85/1.2L II I've rented. Unless you're after the unique rendering of the 85L, you're not going to get a better fast 85mm lens in EF-mount.

(you will however get a workout- recommend renting to ensure that it fits your optical requirements and does not exceed what you're willing to carry in terms of size and weight!)

Feb 07, 2017 at 09:02 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chromatic Aberration for Sigma 85 Art at 1.4 (canon mount)

I have a strong aversion to LCA and expected a Sigma Art (especially in this weight class) to keep it suppressed. No suck luck. From DPR images, it does clean up quickly one stop down but, then, I would have preferred an 85/2 and any savings on bulk that might come. The good news is TCA and linear distortion is about zero, so pick your poison. I'm going to pass, reluctantly, and instead invest in the Sony 100/2.8 STF—a quite different beast.

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.