Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Where to start? I’ve not done anything significant (that I’m aware of) to my stand alone 6.0 copy. My system is stable (other than Ps also freezing on me - another story). This is all taking place on the latest, fully loaded 27” iMac (MAX RAM. SSD, etc.) running 10.11.6. The system is stable for all applications except Adobe’s pre CC apps, and M$ Office 2011 where Word goes walk about on occasion. (I also run some other specialized quite complex analysis programs for distant clients. No problems.) About to go to 10.12.3 as it finally seems stable.

First even with very fast cards (Lexar 32GB 1033x, Sandisk 64GB 160mps) and an USB3 reader, downloads have become tortuously slow. Even worse, waiting for Lr preview (predownload) default thumbnail rendering is ridiculous as in sometimes I just need to go do something else for quite a while and “come back tomorrow when we’re open.” The Lr preview size is set to default/low rez which seems to be larger than other options but I didn’t test that.

I ran tests on two cards (64 and 32) as follows. Repeated 4x per card. Format in camera. (1Dx with 24-70mm f/2.8L vII) Fired four bursts (all RAW) for about 60 pix. Opened Lr hit import and timed preview population. Times varied between 1’ 28” and 1’ 44” averaging ≈ 1’ 34”. The time to preview was slightly faster on the 32GB than the 64GB which is to be expected. It averaged 1’ 10”.

Average time to import said images averaged 1’ 20” for the 64GB and 1’ 02” for the 32GB. Timing started by hitting the Import button at the same moment as a cell phone timer. Stop time was when Lr beeped and the progress bar disappeared. Note that though all images were visible it took as much as another 2-3 minutes for all of the previews to be completed. What is particularly odd is that population of the grid view wasn’t linear, i.e., didn’t start at top level and proceed row by level, but appeared in various places with varying numbers of images popping up at the same time.

I did’nt do such tests before now as I had found the pre-download preview even of large file numbers to be fairly quick. Now it’s a walk away muttering while looking for a beer

Beyond this Lr has grown increasingly slow at simply opening and closing. Lr is set to all defaults. No presets, single writes to a given place in a hierarchy on a pair of RAID 0 6G SSDs. Trim enabled. Both tested frequently. No degradation according to disk tools. (Note: CameraRaw - which I don’t use - has a 20GB cache which is the default.)

Given that I will often come home from a double basket ball game with 600-800 clicks, one can see (or see that one can’t see ) the issues here. Things have clearly slowed down.

One step I’ve taken is to make sure that each game is recorded to a separate card (giving up back-up protection).

So does anyone have any brilliant thoughts on this? At this point I can only wonder if I need to do a total wipe of Lr and do a new install. (In the OS X world apps like AppCleaner delete not only the application but every configuration, swap space, pref, etc., file.

I could delete Lr then reinstall after the upgrade to 10.12.3, but that leaves too many unanswered variables, so I am baffled.

Oh, one other niggling tidbit. I emptied the trash (about 1300 files). Restarted Lr and optimized the catalog again. (It’s set to once a week and had be optimized before the above testing.) I only did one time test but there was a maybe 5% improvement in times on the 64GB card.

I’m aware of the concept of the “ghost in the machine,” but this is a bit over the top. I’m not into conspiracies, but Adobe update continually demands access to my machine - normally denied - allowed once a day. Could there, would there, maybe?? I’m being herded over the CC cliff? Naw, no way, Adobe wouldn’t do that?

Ideas?

Robert

Feb 06, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Robert , I have 1 thought .

are you importing directly from the card to a drive in LR? I found when ingesting large numbers of images that it was faster to copy images to the end location in finder and then import into LR using the ADD command (rather than copy or move) .
thats not going to help with the preview generation though , but it could cut some of the time . got to be worth a shot

Feb 06, 2017 at 05:50 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

When was the last time you performed 'Optimize Catalog?'

I don't think your problem is with the app per se, it's more likely a catalog file issue.

You can decrease boot time (sometimes significantly) by making sure 'Automatically check for updates' in preferences is unchecked. This saves the app from phoning home on every startup to check for new version updates. With Adobe's recent track record, really no need to be an early adopter. .

Preview building is what it is. Lr has to read the original image data and build the preview based upon the default settings you have chosen for the given camera. Regardless if you apply any Develop presets or not at the time of import.

If you are not creating a backup set of your images during the import process, it has been my experience that the speed of import negligible vs copying the images using Finder.

Also, look at your ACR cache size in preferences. IIRC, it defaults to 10GB. In some cases, making this cache larger can speed up many Library tasks.

Feb 06, 2017 at 08:19 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

When you are talking about the times for preview generation after hitting Import....do you mean the time that LR takes to read the card and show the thumbnails before you actually tell it to Import the files? Or do you mean after you start the real import how long it takes to get all the images off the cards?

Just wanted to clarify before I run a similar test to give you some results from my 2015 5K iMac which is probably the same as yours for the most part.

I usually import from 800-1600 files at a time (14FPS gets you a lot of shots when you shoot flying birds). The C-Fast card is really fast to populate the first grid view in the Import dialogue before I hit "Import". The CF cards are slower but still way under a minute on my machine. I have LR generate 1:1 previews so I can't compare as I do have to walk away for 10-20mins for it to do that. But just finishing getting the RAWs off the card seems pretty snappy. LR populated the grid in order for me but they appear in groups of 6-10 at a time and not just a procession of one after the other.

Feb 06, 2017 at 09:51 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Ran a couple quick tests:

60 1DX RAWs...hit Import from the Library and it took 3 seconds to show all 60 thumbnails.
I then hit Import with Standard Preview generation.

It took 29 seconds to get the 60 RAWs off the card and onto my RAID 1 7200RPM Spinners. It took 56 seconds more to generate the 60 Standard Previews.

This was with a 32GB Lexar 1066x CF card in a Lexar USB 3 Hub CF reader.
My Settings for LR in previews was Medium and saying 2880 pixels...not sure what that all means as usually I just do 1:1 preview generation which takes a bit longer...

My 5KiMac is 2015 latest version:
4GHz i7
24GB RAM
500GB SSD
M395X 4GB Graphics card

Feb 06, 2017 at 10:05 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Ian and Arbitage and others,

Thanks for the thoughts. First - as noted in my lengthy, scholarly paper - I optimize my catalog each week. I just turned off check for updates. Could be an issue as my Internet arrives via the tail end of barb wire. (Not quite an over statement.)

Butch, ACR cache is at 20GB so that ought to be enough though I'll experiment upping it. I don't create backup at time of import using my standard 4x a day triple BU system. (Yes, I'm paranoid. Murphy's laws are absolute

Ian, I decided one of my cards might be bad so tossed as it would totally hang Lr (as in have to kill) when trying to import from it. However before I sent it to file 13, I copied all the files to the Desktop, then imported (moved) to Lr. The idea of drag drop to an incoming folder on my main image drive had never occurred to me. Worth an experiment.

Arbitage, your results are fascinating. I have the exact same machine but upped to 32GB and write to a SSD RAID 0 array. Your preview time (after saying Import, but not starting the move) is several quantum better than mine. Load time is less than half on import though preview generation is with in deviation.

I'm referring to both preview before import and building previews after import. I don't do 1:1. I've worked out that the preview setting refers to the size of the each frame in the grid view. Your import time is half of mine though the standard preview generation is within standard variation.

The thing that brought this on is I finally noticed that my preview/import times had become intolerable. Occasionally I'm on a tight deadline (as in all editors are crazy!). The lack of speed is perhaps only psychologically important, but IMHO no computer is fast as the mind.

I'll try everything suggested and report back. I have the BIG game tonight against the town's century long most hated rival. It's heightened by the fact that winner goes to state, loser goes home. Will be lots of pix!

Robert

Feb 07, 2017 at 11:12 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Off a 1DX2 C-Fast card or a D500 XQD card (fastest 64GB versions of each) the load time in the Import dialogue (before actual import) can be like 10-20 seconds for 1000 images. It is crazy fast. Something is up with your system but have you tried something as simple as a new card reader or new card reader cable. Reading the card would seem to be where the issue is. Because there should be no involvement of your RAID 0 SSD at first unless your Cat and Preview files are on that external SSD?? If they are I'd try leaving them on the internal SSD...that is what I do. If you already have Cat and Previews on the internal then it has to be the card reader at fault or the USB3 port you are using on the back of the iMac??

I'd try new reader, new cable, different USB3 port and see if any of that helps. Obviously one at a time to see if you can find the culprit. If none of that helps and Cat/Previews are on the internal SSD then I'd delete LR and re-install. Recently I got DPP4 (usually abysmally slow on my rMBP and iMac) to become almost usable after wiping my rMBP's drive and re-installing. Then I cleaned off all traces of DPP on the iMac and re-installed an now it is almost usable (but not going to use it very often...still too slow to render 1:1 for me and apply adjustments).

Feb 07, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Have you run a long Ram test?

Feb 07, 2017 at 02:50 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Arbitrage,

I've tried two different reader/cable combos though both are Transcend USB3. No difference. Will look for upgrade. I also did a clean install on the iMac when I went to 10.11. Serious PITA. Would prefer not to do that again.

Jeff,
Haven't run a RAM test in a while. will do so. Good idea.

Robert

Feb 07, 2017 at 03:22 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

You might want to make sure that OS X file indexing and any anti-virus stuff ( ) are disabled while Lr is importing files.

Also use whatever utility it is that lets you see what else is running and using cpu or disk time - perhaps something is stealing resources from Lr.

I've been away from Mac for long enough to forget the names of the OS X utilities.

Also see if there is a driver / firmware update available for your card reader.

- Alan

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When Lr goes rouge (long)

Apple Utility to monitor performance is, Activity Monitor, usually found in the Utilites folder inside the Applications folder.

Feb 11, 2017 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.