Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

memoria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

Rookie question here about backdrop light. Which would be the best reflector to use in terms of wide spread light without getting spill? I have the Elinchrom "umbrella" reflector which is supposed to be good to light up backgrounds as well. But I still get some spill so I am not convinced it is the right choice. The spread is 95 degrees so I guess it makes sense.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16868-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26143_Wide_Angle_Umbrella_Reflector.html

Then there's another one with a 50 degree beam spread. Would that be too spotty?

Which one would you use? Do I need flags? Or grids?

Thanks

Feb 06, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

I prefer the 8.25" 50 degree reflector with a 20 degree grid. Very versatile. Or, if you need more rim light use the 14" x 35" strip box with the hooded diffuser. This one is with the 20 degree grid.

Feb 06, 2017 at 02:08 PM
memoria
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

Thanks for that Gregg! I think I'll try the 50 then!

Nice portrait btw!

Feb 06, 2017 at 02:13 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

I use this for my back light, but it fits my Photogenics. YMMV

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Norman_810743_Background_Reflector_for_ML400_390087.jpg

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Feb 06, 2017 at 03:17 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

henryp wrote:

I use this for my back light, but it fits my Photogenics. YMMV

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Norman_810743_Background_Reflector_for_ML400_390087.jpg

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Henry, you're showing your age.

That's what I used for the BG light when I had a studio back in the '80's. I had a row of Photogenic Flashmaster power packs and a rail system for my lights, one of which was the famous "hog trough". Most folks used it as a fill, but if you placed it correctly, it created a great key light.

Edit: Looks like you can still get the reflector! I had no idea you could still get Photogenic Flashmaster equipment.

Feb 06, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

Elinchrom's snoot works very nicely also, but I like the versatility of the reflector/grid better and the light fall off.

Feb 06, 2017 at 05:34 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

That's an open ended question, it really depends on how you want the background to look.

Case in point, I have used a 11.5" 50 degree reflector, 7" 105 deg/refl for more of a flood, 7" 45 deg/refl with various grids, 40, 30, 20, 10 degree, almost never the 3 degree grid unless I am incorporation additional background heads. also used a V-flat with a 7" 105 deg/refl bounced off for a side wash effect, two of them, one on each side, if I want to go full flood.

Feb 06, 2017 at 06:10 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

Oh I'm sorry Michael you said Background light. I was thinking a hair light. However, I still like the 8" reflector and grid for this as well if like a vignette. Or if you want even light I use either two Elinchrom wide angle reflectors or two 41" umbrellas. I also have this one which is similar to Henry's photogenic reflector.

http://desco.descoindustries.com/DescoCatalog/Ionization/Bench-Top-Ionizers/High-Output/60509/#.WJkJ63_X2XA

Feb 06, 2017 at 08:07 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

For total control of stray light and uniform distribution of light, nothing beats a projector. I otherwise find a white BD w/grid to serve well if placed correctly but, since the edges are graduated, that placement can be awkward.

Feb 06, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

I'm curious. Using the reflector you have, under what conditions do you see the spill? I use the Elinchrom 9.5" umbrella reflector with a 135 degree spread, placed behind the subject, and I don't see the spill. How are you using it?

Feb 07, 2017 at 12:17 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

rico wrote:
For total control of stray light and uniform distribution of light, nothing beats a projector. I otherwise find a white BD w/grid to serve well if placed correctly but, since the edges are graduated, that placement can be awkward.

I would agree if one is looking for a defined uniform light shape. However, uniform distribution can be achieved with a simple reflector, diffusion material or a bounce surface and a grid if needed. The main benefit of a background light shape to keep it smooth is to have it out of focus and let bokeh do the job for you.

A knowledgeable test on how your reflectors perform is to set up a seamless or large blank wall and shoot images of the light circles they distribute, swapping them out and trying different grids(if you have them) and diffusion. For example, my 7" 45 deg/reflector casts a completely different pattern than my 11.5" 50 deg/reflector. The inclusion of a measuring device on your surface lets you measure the spread, setting up your heads at a measured distance of course.

Feb 07, 2017 at 02:30 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

Where blank walls are involved, I have a more systematic means to measuring light distribution from a source. Example from FM 8 years ago:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/668603/1#5996399

Generating a uniform span of illumination is remarkably tough, although it can be faked in post for most situations.

Feb 07, 2017 at 06:11 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which strobe reflector for background light?

Elichrom has a similar reflector that throw a oval shape on the bg

Feb 08, 2017 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.