Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

With all due respect to Arlo Guthrie
When a band of thugs run amuck amongst the locals it is inevitable that something is going to get whacked. The panzer like attack is absolutely amazing to be a part of as they run through the bush hoping to flush prey items and once they do the success rate is ~80%. And then the animal that is caught is torn apart and consumed in minutes. A full grown impala can be completely eaten within 5 minutes especially if the culprits in the massacre are 21 strong.
So I present you not alternate facts but visual evidence of my eye witness account of the Sabi Sand Massacre....if you are squeamish please do not view past the first two images which belie the ferocity of these animals. And just another couple of real facts....these are dogs being in the canid family but their lineage split from wolves and domestic dogs ~1.8 million years ago. They have an additional toe and different dentition that is specialized for ripping apart their prey.

Eric

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-5xSTm3j/0/X2/A87I6755wilddog-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-VPWQSLg/0/X2/A87I6757wilddog-X2.jpg

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-zqLv73c/0/X2/A87I6895wilddogkill-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-6QvXN8t/0/X2/A87I6906wilddogkill-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-4M7scXb/0/X2/A87I6933wilddogkill-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-HP7bDN5/0/X2/A87I6892wilddogkill-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Mala-Mala-2016/i-XMGbDPr/0/X2/A87I6871wilddogkill-X2.jpg

8 Video

http://tinyurl.com/zfcrev2

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:02 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

beautifully done, eric. Loved the stark reality of life in the wild.

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:06 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Intense is what came to my mind looking at your images. That's the fact of life or death, depending on what side . Masterfully captured, Eric!

Joshua

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:16 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Those bad boys sure punch heavy for their size. Add to your facts, wolves developed in N. America so these canids are an archaic branch. Modern wolves are from eurasia, developing a separate branch from their origins in America and returned later. Dire wolves and coyotes (maybe Red wolves) were left but as the megafauna died out, the gray wolf took the place of the Dire wolf.

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:31 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Excellent captures as usual..certainly always expect something different than we see from most people, and for some reason I feel like having lunch now.

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:41 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Must have been exciting to witness this

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:57 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Hi Eric...

Great photographs of nature at its rawest.

Alternatively however, it's not quite as brutal as the carnage at Bowling Green.

Thanks
Tom

Feb 04, 2017 at 04:00 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Love dogs, and I like this close-up of the action. It puts us in the centre of the action.
Don

Feb 04, 2017 at 04:24 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

The two portrats are super and the actions shots as gory as you promised and the execution is there. The compostion of 6 is special Eric

Morris

Feb 04, 2017 at 06:59 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

The two portrats are super and the actions shots as gory as you promised and the execution is there.

Morris

Feb 04, 2017 at 07:47 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Very well documented Eric ~ Ron

Feb 04, 2017 at 07:53 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

kdacharya wrote:
beautifully done, eric. Loved the stark reality of life in the wild.

Thanks KD....life and death in the African bush isn't pretty but it is real as it gets.
---------------------------------------------

AGeoJO wrote:
Intense is what came to my mind looking at your images. That's the fact of life or death, depending on what side . Masterfully captured, Eric!

Joshua

Being in the midst of the feeding frenzy is like nothing else I've ever seen....unlike lions who fight for each bite, wild dogs make sure the young feed first, every dog gets some food and there is no aggression...but the action is frenetic and within minutes it's over only to be repeated until all bellies are full.

mogul wrote:
Those bad boys sure punch heavy for their size. Add to your facts, wolves developed in N. America so these canids are an archaic branch. Modern wolves are from eurasia, developing a separate branch from their origins in America and returned later. Dire wolves and coyotes (maybe Red wolves) were left but as the megafauna died out, the gray wolf took the place of the Dire wolf.

Thanks for the extra true facts....and yes they do seem to be willing to tackle prey substantially larger than would be thought possible.

ScottHM wrote:
Excellent captures as usual..certainly always expect something different than we see from most people, and for some reason I feel like having lunch now.

Thanks Scott...I love beautiful photos as much as the next person but this is as much a part of the natural world as a soaring eagle, a hummingbird at a flower and even a leopard posing in a tree....but yes, a wee bit different.

Eric

Feb 04, 2017 at 08:06 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

mrcolin2u wrote:
Must have been exciting to witness this

Thanks, there is nothing like trying to follow a pack of wild dogs through the bush as they do their thing....once they catch something it is over in minutes but the chase is the thing.

morris wrote:
The two portrats are super and the actions shots as gory as you promised and the execution is there. The compostion of 6 is special Eric

Morris

Thanks Morris...the one saving grace is death comes very swiftly to the prey, probably within seconds...there is no suffering and in the end the death of an antelope means life to the second most endangered predator on the continent.

surfnron wrote:
Very well documented Eric ~ Ron

Thanks Ron....because of the way they dispatch their prey once caught it is not difficult to watch but more fascinating...almost like a shark's feeding frenzy....little sound, no squabbling and then, if their appetites are not saited.....next!

Eric

Feb 05, 2017 at 07:00 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Wonderful series Eric

Feb 05, 2017 at 08:34 AM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Wow, that must have been quite an experience. I can imagine the disturbing noise of it! Great shots and description, Eric.

Jim

Feb 05, 2017 at 12:02 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Wonderful photos. You were close-in, which is outstanding. I have some similar work taken on the Sand River (Mala Mala) in Sabi Sand three years ago that are my favorite from my trip. We had two different packs in our 10 days there, and the ranger/drivers were hard-pressed to keep up with them when they were moving through the brush. The dogs are fascinating with their social behavior, and are considered the most efficient hunters in Africa.......their metabolism is such that they have to eat twice a day, which explains their hunting techniques.

Feb 05, 2017 at 01:03 PM
FotoBuf78

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sabi Sand Massacree....in two part harmony

Great images as always. The tight perspective conveys the ferocity of the moment.

We had the same experience with rangers trying to keep up. They are so efficient and off in a flash. They took down an adult impala in front of us and 14 had it gone in less than 15 minutes. We did not know much about the wild dogs on our arrival at Kruger, but by the time we left after 5 days, we were hooked. Our favorite by far.

Feb 05, 2017 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.