Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

1swt2gs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

I know, I know, another tripod thread! Recently dove back into photography (hardcore) and now I need a tripod. Did some research between different tripods and the options really are overwhelming. Manfrotto, RRS and Gitzo seem to be highly regarded but those can easily run for >$1k

There are so many different requirements of getting a tripod, most of mine are a medium sized one that will be compact for travel but will hold a 5d3 with a grip and the heaviest of all my lens would be a 70-200 f2.8.

However, most of the time the 16-35 f/4 will be on there doing architecture and long exposure for night photography.

Ideally, searching for something <$250, but can go up to $500 if there is nothing good within the $250 price range.

Edited on Feb 04, 2017 at 04:43 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Stable. Cheap. Light. Pick two. Well ... pick one, because you want stable. So, if you want light and compact for travel, do not expect cheap.

Next, buy better than you think you need. Nothing worse than buying two or three tripods to get to the one you need.

Also, there are a lot of very good tripods out there so don't let the best be the enemy of the good. RRS is "the best", except that some Gitzo stuff many also be "the best". But best for me is likely not best for you. There is always a compromise, find yours.

Don't forget that the used market is good place to go if your need is greater than your budget.

Ballhead matters. More than you think. I've spent almost as much as your whole budget on just one ballhead ... and I have three (the other two are cheaper than the big one and serve more niche purposes).

So, advice. Grab an RRS BH-40 with lever release. You'll never sell it. Try to find one used ... good luck. Second choice, something like the Photo Clam 38. As for legs, Feisol and Sirui make a broad range of very good to excellent, affordable legs. Used would be a good choice here as well.

Peace,

Todd

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Feisol 3372 here. When I saw the latest price I flinched. So glad I bought several years ago. There is a considerable price differential between the 3371 and 3372. The 3371 is 1 pound heavier.

When you are not using it for photos you can use it for your tactical rifles. http://www.feisol.net/cretac/feisol-tripod-ct-3372.html

Just for yucks I still have my really old Amvona aluminum tripod on the balcony. It sits waiting for lens tests. It is solid, but too heavy to carry in my dotage.

Feb 04, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Buy once cry once

Feb 04, 2017 at 07:49 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Todd Warnke wrote:
Stable. Cheap. Light. Pick two. Well ... pick one, because you want stable. So, if you want light and compact for travel, do not expect cheap.

Todd

Define cheap. I have a light compact Feisol which can be picked up for $400 which is very stable for my needs. I consider this quite cheap...stable...compact...light and I use it for travel everywhere.

OP...you don't need to shell out $1,000 to get a good quality, light compact tripod.

Feb 04, 2017 at 09:25 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Mataz426 wrote:
Buy once cry once

Have you used this same principle for all your gear?

Feb 04, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

OK tripod legs alone won't hold a camera. Tripod / ball-head / plates / brackets. So it adds up quickly. We tend to go the cheap route (nothing wrong with that) but end up frustrated with the setup. It's one of those, just buy a good one right off the bat, and you will get many many years of use.

Feb 04, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

I would say you can get a good set of legs for $500, I'd look for a used Gitzo. But your also going to need to invest a couple hundred at least for a good ball head, which is just as important IMHO

Feb 04, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

chez wrote:
Define cheap. I have a light compact Feisol which can be picked up for $400 which is very stable for my needs. I consider this quite cheap...stable...compact...light and I use it for travel everywhere.

OP...you don't need to shell out $1,000 to get a good quality, light compact tripod.

Chez, I didn't say he needed top spend a grand. In fact, I steered him to both the used market as well as the company you use. So why the tone? Bad day?

Todd

Feb 05, 2017 at 01:38 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Todd Warnke wrote:
Chez, I didn't say he needed top spend a grand. In fact, I steered him to both the used market as well as the company you use. So why the tone? Bad day?

Todd

That's why I asked you to define cheap. I see many on these boards consider anything under a grand for a tripod to be cheap. When you mentioned that a stable, light tripod won't be cheap, your definition of cheap would clear things up.

Feb 05, 2017 at 01:33 PM
kshimz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Consider that whatever tripod you end up getting is going to be supporting the nice gear that you have. I would not suggest going "cheap" in this regard. You don't want to go too lightweight, the legs will be too flimsy and will defeat the purpose of a tripod. You won't be able to add sandbags if need be for your long exposure night photography. I would say that a gripped 5D3 and a 70-200mm weights ~7-8lbs, get a tripod that has a load capacity of at least 15lbs to accommodate sandbags for counterweight. In the price range that you've provided, maybe Induro or Benro. Gitzo will be out of your price range, even in the used dept. I'd imagine a good ball head will run an additional $150-200. Try to take your time and do your research. Check out local stores and get a hands on feel for them to see what you like and don't like. I feel like all tripods will have some kind of compromise, no matter how much you spend. Even my RRS, I love it to death, but it can be a bit large and weighty for travel. Just my 2 cents, GL

Feb 05, 2017 at 02:02 PM
brodyq

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

Your situation sounds super similar to mine. I did HOURS AND HOURS of research and beat my head against the wall going back and forth with all the fancy brands, trying to find one used, etc. (I wanted a carbon fiber that would fit in a carry-on, but not break my wallet).

I ended up buying a SIRUI T-2204X with a G-20KX head. Has about a 33 pound capacity, but I'm working way below that. Found one shipped new from China for about $280 on Ebay with the head. It's AMAZING. Check out the reviews on the Sirui tripods. I find that it works beautifully and is SO much better than the aluminum thing I had before. this tripod feels like it will be around for a while. B&H page for this tripod

Feb 05, 2017 at 04:05 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yet another tripod thread, please help!

What did you get?

Once again, I have to recommend before buying a tripod new, to go to thrift/charity/OP shops and ask what they have.

One that I know of has the odd tripod out in stock from time to time but has most of them out the back. There is no one who really knows photographic gear so it often accumulates and then gets put out with a discount on what the Ebay price would be.

This means most tripods so far have gone for $5.

There was one recently that I was going to go back and get but had gone before I got back (that day). Geared head and level .

Today I picked up a Vanguard.
An older tripod with soft case - a bit heavy (I have a lightweight travel tripod). Geared head, spirit level, quite sturdy and tall in excellent condition. $5 (Australian). Would have been fairly expensive new.
Just realised it did not have a quick release plate fitted (they would not have know what that was or that it was needed).
By sheer coincidence, my monopod is also Vanguard (I had forgotten that as I hardly use it now and have had it for many years). The quick release plate fits perfectly.

I know they have a Manfrotto and Velbon and couple of others out the back (some large and some small). Some are a bit ratty to look at but work perfectly I think.

Not saying not to buy new, and high end but you might be surprised by what you can find now.

Many seem to equate tripods with film cameras and a lot of those just get thrown out by many people.

Feb 13, 2017 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.