Suggestions and critiques, please

Feb 03, 2017 at 06:12 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gate

Rick Joyce wrote:
Suggestions and critiques, please

For me, a very strong mood and emotion in this piece. A beautiful ethereal sky, but at the same time a melancholy feeling. Perhaps others can describe it better. Can't say I would change anything.

Steve

Feb 03, 2017 at 11:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gate

No time for a proper rework, but I think you are in "no man's land" with your tonal values.

By that, I mean the mass of the sky kinda dominates the gate. As a means of reweighting things, a change in contrast (silhouette) or tonal values (fg lift), could help move the viewer(s) eye differently.

Unrefined / crude ... but to illustrate the point(s).

Personally, I think the direction toward the silhouette could be a key direction toward evoking your "mood". Couple that with an adjustment to your sky hue / tones and I think you can evoke a stronger emotive presence for being there in a given "time of day".

Again, unrefined @ conceptual only.

Feb 04, 2017 at 09:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gate

I'm finding the OP a bit flat
Kent provided two different moods, both stronger statements. You may not want to go in either direction, but I think his second rework, with some darkening of the gate and not so much recovery along the plain, might be a more engaging version.

Scott

Feb 04, 2017 at 10:43 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gate

I prefer the brighter rework. This reminded me of the song "Don't fence me in"

Feb 04, 2017 at 10:46 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gate

Ben,
are you aware of how Rick often titles his images with song titles?
Nice addition.
Scott

Feb 04, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gate

Thanks guys. I also prefer Kent's second rework.

Feb 04, 2017 at 10:52 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gate

sbeme wrote:
Ben,
are you aware of how Rick often titles his images with song titles?
Nice addition.
Scott

Just turn me loose
Underneath the western skies
Till I see the mountains rise
Don't fence me in

Feb 04, 2017 at 11:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gate

Took a stab at some things. There are some challenges with the inherent tonal values in the clouds, and part of the fence, but some additional food for thought primer, nonetheless.

In my mind, the lighting suggests more of a "break of day" vibe than midday hues. Could use more refinement ... but hopefully, you get the gist.

At the end of the day, however ... I think there is too much competition for the gate, lending some consideration for a possible artistic, lemonade rendering, approach to help quell the competition.

If our message is "gate" (vs. break of day, etc.) ... I think we have to find a way(s) to correlate the draw to the message. Sometimes it can be an additive approach to enhance the message, other times a subtractive means (or combinations) to reduce the detractors @ more than one way to skin the cat.

As always, I think those determinations rely heavily on knowing the goals of your image @ your message, your pic, your call.

And of course, S&P to taste.

Feb 05, 2017 at 08:55 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gate

RustyBug wrote:
Took a stab at some things. There are some challenges with the inherent tonal values in the clouds, and part of the fence, but some additional food for thought primer, nonetheless.

In my mind, the lighting suggests more of a "break of day" vibe than midday hues. Could use more refinement ... but hopefully, you get the gist.

At the end of the day, however ... I think there is too much competition for the gate, lending some consideration for a possible artistic, lemonade rendering, approach to help quell the competition.

If our message is "gate" (vs. break of day, etc.) ... I
...Show more

Feb 05, 2017 at 11:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gate

Rick Joyce wrote:
Thanks, Kent, for your help with the reworks. I prefer your second from a couple of days ago for its open, airy feeling.

You're welcome, Rick.

I just wanted to present something different from the "stark" silhouette (crude conceptual presentation) for consideration that when we are in "no man's land" ... we usually have choices that can go in multiple directions to get us out of "no man's land". Which way you want to take it will always be your message, your pic, your call.

Feb 05, 2017 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.