New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

I am thinking of buying a A99II, but can't afford to get another set of lenses. I wonder if there is an adaptor for Nikon lenses?

Feb 03, 2017 at 03:21 PM
kshimz
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

Metabones has an adapter, but it doesn't support AF for Nikon. Fotodiox just came out with one that supports AF but it's not as reliable as other adapters (i.e. Metabones + Canon). It's currently the best and maybe the only adapter that supports Nikon AF. Check out Jason Lanier on YouTube, he recently did a test with an A6300 and a A7RII with Nikon glass. It seemed fine most of the time, but could not focus at 16mm.

Feb 03, 2017 at 03:48 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

ryuemura wrote:
Metabones has an adapter, but it doesn't support AF for Nikon. Fotodiox just came out with one that supports AF but it's not as reliable as other adapters (i.e. Metabones + Canon). It's currently the best and maybe the only adapter that supports Nikon AF. Check out Jason Lanier on YouTube, he recently did a test with an A6300 and a A7RII with Nikon glass. It seemed fine most of the time, but could not focus at 16mm.

thank you for the info.

Feb 03, 2017 at 04:05 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

Not for A mount (which the A99ii is).

E mount and there is but it is still early days.

I guess there could be for Nikon to A mount as the A mount flange distance is still a bit shorter than F mount but the difference is 46.5mm (Nikon) versus 44.5mm for Sony A mount so any adapter is going to have glass or be very very thin.

E mount on the other hand has a 18mm flange distance.

Feb 03, 2017 at 04:16 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

notherenow wrote:
Not for A mount (which the A99ii is).

E mount and there is but it is still early days.

I guess there could be for Nikon to A mount as the A mount flange distance is still a bit shorter than F mount but the difference is 46.5mm (Nikon) versus 44.5mm for Sony A mount so any adapter is going to have glass or be very very thin.

E mount on the other hand has a 18mm flange distance.

Don't we wish they would standardize the lenses...the ones who made better quality would still win.

Feb 03, 2017 at 08:18 PM
carlitos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

Leitax. Not an adapter, but a way to modify the lens for A-mount.

I've been thinking of the A99II, also, but I assume Nikon is going to answer Sony with Sony's own sensor in F-mount.

Feb 04, 2017 at 12:38 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

carlitos wrote:
Leitax. Not an adapter, but a way to modify the lens for A-mount.

I've been thinking of the A99II, also, but I assume Nikon is going to answer Sony with Sony's own sensor in F-mount.

Sony has been using this sensor for a while but it hasn't trickled down to Nikon yet. Let's wait few more months.

Feb 04, 2017 at 12:55 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon lenses for Sony cameras

I only have Nikon for DSLRs right now, but there is a lot of synergy between Canon and Sony or M 4/3. It is nice to be able to re-purpose one lens kit on 2 or 3 different systems. The cost of a camera body is usually just a small part of the total system cost.

I still keep a Canon lens kit that I use on Panasonic M 4/3 for stills and video with a Kipon adapter. Most of the Canon lenses focus at near-native speeds, even in low light.

Canon also have a number of very small and affordable lenses that are very good quality for the price. The Canon 24 mm 2.8 STM, 40 mm 2.8 STM, and 50 1.8 STM are all about $100 or less used. The Canon 55-250 STM is a pretty great kit zoom for under $150 refurbished. The Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS is a very sharp standard zoom that runs $270 new or less on eBay.

I wish I could use the Canon 24, 40, and 50 on my D5500. The Nikon 35 1.8 and 50 1.8 are pretty large in comparison. Smaller APS-C lenses would help to eliminate some of the mirrorless size advantage. The D5500 body is actually fairly small and light, but there are no really small auto focus wide angle options (the 35mm being a "normal" lens with a 1.5x multiplier.)

The Canon lenses are all electronic, which givee them an advantage when it comes to adaptation. Nikon has been a lot slower to roll out it's PE
electronic lenses.

I keep getting pulled back into Canon just because I already have or am looking at the same lenses for M 4/3. Especially with the telephotos for wildlife work, where there aren't a lot of 4/3 options yet.

For example, I have the Sigma 150-600 C in Nikon mount, but if I had it in Canon mount I could use it for 4K video, with the great Panasonic IBIS stabilization that is so critical for long tele use (just touching the lens to focus or zoom sets up huge vibrations at a 1200 mm to 1500 mm effective focal length.)

Feb 04, 2017 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.