FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · astral photography question

60HzShuffle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · astral photography question

Hope this is in the right section of the forum. I'm planning on getting a Rokinon 14mm mf lens. I have a Nikon D4 and a Canon 5DS-R. Which is the better choice, High MP body or lower MP but better high ISO capabilities and low light focus??

I am going to Joshua Tree NP and can't lug both! Thanks in advance.

Feb 01, 2017 at 02:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · astral photography question

Whats the point of high resolution if you are shooting at high iso and the image is noisy? The higher resolution won't somehow make the image cleaner, in fact since its higher resolution you will see the noise even more since it is a larger resolution.

With that being said, there are great night time shots taken with both camera bodies. In fact when it comes to night time shots, probably the person behind the camera is the greatest influence.

Myself, I am most familiar with Nikon bodies, so I personally would chose the Nikon D4. But I am sure lots of Canon users would chose the Canon 5DS-R. So the question is, what do you shoot? And what are you most familiar with?

Again, both of these cameras are capable cameras, so to get good quality night shots, it's going to more about good technique and good post processing work flow.

Jim

Feb 01, 2017 at 03:08 PM
60HzShuffle
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · astral photography question

I realize it may seem like a silly question, but I am moving to Canon and may be selling my Nikon stuff so my preference would be Canon but I really don't like to go over ISO 3200 with that camera and don't want to waste the trip.

I've shot limited long exposure before, but not sure if I will need to be at a higher ISO making the D4 the better choice or will be closer to ISO 100. From what I have read/watched, I need to have the camera take continuous pictures with 30 second exposures with a wide aperture.

Feb 01, 2017 at 03:18 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · astral photography question

You could possibly want to shoot at ISO6400 to help reduce star trails.

Jack

Feb 01, 2017 at 04:47 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · astral photography question

Unless you are shooting 20 minute exposures or longer you wont get anywhere close to ISO 100. A 20 minute exposure can get you close to ISO 400. But 20 minute star trails usually aren't quite long enough. You are better off shooting 30 second (max) exposures and stacking them as you mentioned. And in that case you will be at ISO 3200 at a minimum and depending on how darks it get you could be all the way up to ISO 6400.

The key at night is don't let the playback of the image fool you. Images always look brighter at night when you view them. So look at the histogram. You don't want the histogram all the way to the right (without blowing out the highlights) like you do during the day. But you don't want the histogram all the way to left either. You will want the histogram to be about 1/3rds on the left (dark side). That will leave you with an image that looks like a night shot but still give you details depending on light painting, or when you start shooting. It will let the night sky still look light its night, but the stars will be bright enough to look like stars.

I run workshops out at Joshua Tree, if you are interested send me a PM.

Jim

Feb 01, 2017 at 08:09 PM
60HzShuffle
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · astral photography question

Thanks Jim. That post helped clarify things quite a bit. I'll be out at JP on Tuesday or Wednesday evening next week, maybe both.

Feb 02, 2017 at 08:47 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.