Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

Thinking of picking one of these up, but have a few questions…

Have you used them? Are they safe (I've read reports of sensor damage…)? How effective are they compared with swabs/eclipse wet cleaning?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience.

C

Feb 01, 2017 at 01:13 PM
frdjohns
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

Yes, I use one. Yes it works. Yes, it has been safe. I go through what is essentially a three step process for cleaning my sensors on my D4 and my D500.

First I use a rocket blower to simply blow the dust off. Sometimes that is enough.

If not, I then use a gel pen to clean the sensor. This will usually be enough. It gets all of the big stuff, and most of the small as well. Best of all, it is quick and easy.

If the sensor still does not appear clean, I will then do a wet cleaning to deal with it. Most of the time, I don't need the wet cleaning as long as I don't wait too terribly long between cleanings.

Feb 01, 2017 at 01:29 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

I dont know about the gel stuff, but I have only had to use anything more than a dry brush once... I got some oil on the sensor shortly after buying the camera from something in there. Granted, I live in a very dry environment, so dust and static are my worst problems generally.

Paul

Feb 02, 2017 at 01:10 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

I have found that employing a variety of sensor cleaning options works the best---starting from least invasive (blower) to most invasive (wet clean). The Gel sensor cleaners do work. Another great low invasive cleaner is to use the Lens Pen method---but make sure that the lens pen you use is dedicated to sensor cleaning.

I use: rocket blower-->lens pen-->static brush-->gel stick-->wet clean
It's not difficult but certainly a pita if you get the rare stubborn spot.

ken

Feb 02, 2017 at 10:38 AM
KGKG

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

I'm a blower then if absolutely necessary wet clean person. I really would like to try the gel stick option before wet cleaning but I have Minolta/Sony cameras with IBIS (in body image stabilization). I'm extremely nervous about screwing up this delicate mechanism.

Anyhow, if you do decide to give it a try, be careful where/what you buy. Nasim Mansurov over at photographylife has the US distribution rights for the German made Sensor Gel Stick. https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Note the following on the product page: WARNING: You might find a similar looking item on Amazon from sellers in China. Please do NOT buy those – we have received some horror stories from people who had their AA filters ripped out from their cameras, thanks to using a fake Chinese version of this product.

I have no association with Nasim Mansurov or photographylife. Just an FYI if you decide to give one a try. Best to source from an established reputable vendor.

FWIW

Feb 03, 2017 at 05:13 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

Gel - how fresh out of the factory is it? Can it 'weep' over time, possibly leaving residue?

Not to start an urban myth, but often manufacturers themselves have no idea about the stability of their products. And chemicals do degrade.

I am no longer using gel sticks.

Feb 03, 2017 at 07:41 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

I tried the gel stick recommended for Sony A7 series sensors and it wasn't particularly effective. My go-to is now rocket blower for things that can be moved with air (98% solution), and wet swab for baked-on bits (the 2%).

Feb 03, 2017 at 10:00 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any thoughts on gel sensor cleaners?

My Nikon D600 gets dust, not excessively, but it gets it. My D500 does not get dust, or hardly ever, astonishing really. I use a blower, then if needed a statically charged brush, finally a wet clean if need be. I have read that the gel sticks can leave residue behind.

Feb 07, 2017 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.