Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

New MacBook Pro Touchbar editing and Lightroom setup...

chris78cpr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New MacBook Pro Touchbar editing and Lightroom setup...

Hey everyone,

So I've had my 15" Touchbar MBP for a few months now and am only really getting round to editing on it. I spend a lot of time travelling so have to use a laptop for editing.

Is anyone else using this laptop and can advise on any set up tips best for editing? I've been finding that I'm editing to what looks great on the screen but once synced to my phone for Instagram uploads they don't quite look as good as what they do on the laptop, I'm guessing I'm missing something here.

I'm also finding that trying to enter Fullscreen mode in Lightroom CC is causing crashes quite often which is really frustrating, has anyone else had this?

Thanks,

Chris

Feb 01, 2017 at 09:54 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New MacBook Pro Touchbar editing and Lightroom setup...

Hi Chris,

I only had the 15" TB model for 2 weeks before returning it and deciding to continue to plug away with my 2012 15" Retina MBP. I had my reasons for doing that but that doesn't matter in answering your questions.

Is this your first Retina computer? Why I ask is that when one moves to a Retina screen LR now uses a 1 to 1 pixel ratio to display the image. The panels are scaled so they aren't tiny fonts/sliders but the image display area is mapped to the pixels. Therefore viewing a 20MP image for say at 1:1 magnification barely magnifies the image at all. For more critical editing viewing at 2:1 is often necessary with a Retina display.

I never had any crashes with LR in full screen mode but again I only had it for a short time period.

What characteristic of the image doesn't look as good when exporting? Is it sharpness? Color? Noise?
Lr has different settings for export sharpening and you may need the highest Screen setting to get a good result. Usually color shouldn't change. The biggest difference I notice is that Noise is somewhat "hidden" when viewing on a Retina display and then when you view your exported image on a non-retina display it often shows more noise than you thought.

I'm not sure if any of the above is helpful but if you provide a few more details that would be helpful. Also how are you getting your images out of Lr to Instagram?? Do you know if there is a plugin for LR to go direct to Instagram? I have plugins to export direct to Flickr and Smugmug so maybe Instagram has one also?? That could improve the output quality maybe if such a plugin exists.

EDIT: Found the Lr plugin..... https://www.lrinstagram.com

Feb 01, 2017 at 02:15 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New MacBook Pro Touchbar editing and Lightroom setup...

I found that using a powermate jog wheel for fine tuning the sliders. It has four mappable commands left turn, right turn tap and hold it might have two more that I have played with yet tap hold and turn each direction. I us the ccw to increase setting ccw to decrease slider tap to go to next slide tap hold to go to first slider. It works greay.

Feb 02, 2017 at 01:05 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password