FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              9       10       end

Archive 2017 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

We love our Subaru Outback. Drive it on all of our trips. Otherwise sits in the garage most of the time.

PB080091 by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

Mar 02, 2017 at 12:23 AM
RMC cichlids
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

Here's my rig. 2001 4runner that gets me ANY where I want. Just wish it got a little better gas mileage but it's worth it when I can go where I want and keep a proper fridge and bed in the back.

Engineer Pass by KJRphotoz, on Flickr

Mar 02, 2017 at 01:57 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

tag

Mar 04, 2017 at 01:34 AM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

A couple of years ago we decided to trade our life style with a traditional house for one in a home with wheels. Here is an image of our "mothership" and "shuttle".

http://www.berggreen.org/images/DW2.jpg

Art

Mar 12, 2017 at 05:26 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I made the move in 09 I have a fifth wheel toybox as a base camp and a super for mobile uses it got too difficult to packup the fifth wheel every month to hit the road so last year I had the opertunity to get the Motorhome

Mar 12, 2017 at 07:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I prefer these to get me where I need to go

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

RMC cichlids wrote:
Here's my rig. 2001 4runner that gets me ANY where I want. Just wish it got a little better gas mileage but it's worth it when I can go where I want and keep a proper fridge and bed in the back.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7521/15434511643_f9cf004f8d_b.jpgEngineer Pass by KJRphotoz, on Flickr

For me it is about range on a full tank of gas when venturing into the back country. With a 4Runner and its 18.5 gal fuel tank I would calculate the range as 16.5 gal x 16 mpg for a maximum of 264 miles. My truck off the highway averages 13 mpg and it has a 36 gallon tank for a 13 x 34 calculated range of 442 miles on a full tank.

Mar 13, 2017 at 02:16 PM
pixelshooter

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I live in India, and I drive a Suzuki Vitara Brezza

http://pixelshooter.net/public/ride/DSC04980.jpg

When I am trekking in the Himalayas, this animal is indispensable

http://pixelshooter.net/public/ride/5DM34691.jpg

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM
SLane
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I like the Sportmobiles, but for a more versatile vehicle I chose a 3/4 ton pick-up and a "4-Wheel Camper". Not as nice a van, but with the camper off, I had a truck to use. Sold it all a few years ago, as we are stuck at home for the next few years. We may buy something similar again, or just a truck and shell. In the meantime, I use a 4-Runner for dirt and a Mercedes SLK 280 for road trips.

Mar 14, 2017 at 03:13 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I traded in my Subaru Forester for one of these a couple of years ago... 2010 VW Touareg TDI. It handles like a sports car on pavement, will go pretty much anywhere thanks to locking front and rear differentials, can tow 7700 lbs, and gets about 35 MPG on the highway.

I do miss my old VW Westfalia camper, though - I may buy another one this year.

Mar 16, 2017 at 07:50 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

Yeah those are awesome vehicles albeit pricey. The V10s were absolute monsters and repairs really costly! I have a Golf TDI that I lifted enough to get a little bit off road. 45 mpg give or take.

I hear you on the van -- when I was a vagabond wildlife biologist, I spent many a field season living in a pop-top '77. Would love to have that again...

Mar 16, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Anthony280ZX

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I take my 2004 Honda CRV that has over 250,000 miles on it when going up into the mountains. It's still solid and gets me where I need to go.

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:37 PM
spork3127
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I have a 2015 Toyota Highlander as my everyday vehicle that works just fine for my needs to get me where I want to go. I also have a 2000 GMC Sierra that I've taken "off road" which for me means decently to well maintained dirt roads, fields, etc. I haven't had much need to go miles into the mountains or anything like that.

This thread does have me thinking though. My Sierra has a tonneau cover on the bed. After seeing the vans with pop up space on top, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to add a clear plastic siding to expand when the cover is lifted and camp in the bed when the weather is nice. Add an air mattress and supplies and I'm set....in theory.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:50 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

SLane wrote:
... and a Mercedes SLK 280 for road trips.

Me too. I only do road trips, usually with the top down.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

I like to have my gear out of sight and so a sedan with a trunk or a truck with a shell and lock boxes are my choices. I looked at the current SUV's and almost all had a third row for 7-8 passengers and so have less cargo capacity than a VW beetle and no place to keep gear safely out of sight.

There is a company that makes strongboxes with drawers to fit in the back of medium size SUV's for law enforcement personnel but they are special ordering versions of their vehicles without the extra permanent third row.

Most places where I travel in Central California the roads are so bad I need the ground clearance of my truck and 4WD to be sure I can get through without needing to call for a tow truck. A Subaru or 4Runner would provide the ground clearance and AWD/4WD but they provide too little secure space for valuable photo equipment.

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:04 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

Ex-USFS Dodge Dakota with ARE utility shell
4x4, room for a sleeping bag, secure storage, no payments, low maintenance

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/DaywithDoug/greentruck.jpg

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3846/32800897874_75196420a9_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3741/32800898024_73b31373ba_o.jpg

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

telyt wrote:

Ex-USFS Dodge Dakota with ARE utility shell
4x4, room for a sleeping bag, secure storage, no payments, low maintenance

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/DaywithDoug/greentruck.jpg

That looks ideal! Nice get.

Mar 25, 2017 at 02:19 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

Here's my current rig in the wild.. Used to tow a 26' trailer. This gets me into more backcountry locations and I can often stay right where I want to be photographing and is a bit more economical than towing.

© drobertfranz 2017

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:26 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Vehicles you use for photo trips

My 1994 Toyota SR-5 XtraCab. Still chugging along but the engine is starting to have some issues. Not sure if it is worth fixing as the estimated costs exceed Kelly Blue book. It is still running so my current plan is to run it with just basic service until I get stuck on some back road somewhere and wish I had shelled out the cash to fix it properly.

1994 Toy SR-5 Xtracab

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.