New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Pen F vs OmD

Herbc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pen F vs OmD

Being a fan of the retro look, I am in the market for a small walkabout camera. I had one of the panasonics some years ago, but went to FF (Sony) -
I am new to Olympus and cannot figure out why the Pen F and The OMD xxx are being offered-
please enlighten me about this- one is smaller profile with a 20mp sensor and the other a larger profile with a 16mp sensor. Seems like one model would do??

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pen F vs OmD

Style and retro looks sell. Simple as that in most cases.

You are comparing the Pen-F with the E-M5 Mk II I suppose?

In which case the better picture quality comes out of the Pen-F (albeit minor).
The Pen-F certainly has got the looks going for it, best looking camera on the market today in my opinion.

The E-M5 Mk II however is weather sealed which the Pen-F is not.

There are other changes and differences between the two. All in all though the Pen-F has got mostly newer technology and a newer higher MP sensor while the E-M5 Mk II is weather sealed and with a better EVF amongst other things.

Sure, one model would do but then again, that could be said for most camera makes and cameras, right? Slight improvement, slight changes in technology and looks makes companies sell more.

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:02 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pen F vs OmD

A little bit of Olympus history ….

The Olympus Pen-F was a very popular half-frame SLR back in the 60’s and 70’s which allows you to shoot twice as many frames from 1 roll of film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Pen_F

The OM Series SLR was immensely popular back in the 70’s and 80’s and into the 90’s because of the compact form factor and smaller 35mm lenses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_OM_system

The Four Thirds system introduced by Olympus in the early days of the DSLR era (early 2000) never did appeal to many (mostly because of the smaller and noisy sensor) in spite of some fabulous lenses made for the system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

Olympus eventually decided to retire the 4/3 system and repackage it as the Micro 4/3 system (with a significantly improved sensor) with the launch of OM-Digital with the retro good looks of the OM Series, in early 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_OM-D_E-M5

And then the classic Olympus Pen-F Digital Micro 4/3 (street-shooter camera) came along in February, 2016:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_PEN-F

And so we have Olympus history repeating itself!

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:27 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pen F vs OmD

You're an encyclopedia of Olympus knowledge, Bobby! We should change your name to Bobby Olympus. But wait, that would make your initials "B.O."... on second thought, let's scrap that suggestion .

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:49 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pen F vs OmD

You're pretty much right, not much need for both in your bag. However, as outlined above, the Pen F provides some things the OMD E-M5 II does not, and visa versa. I had both a decided to keep the Pen F, my wife kept the E-M5 II.

I liked the 20mpx sensor, the rangefinder styling, and the special JPEG shooting profiles. of the Pen F, She preferred the E-M5 II with its center EVF, the weather sealing, and it was her favorite camera before getting the E-M1 II, so it remains as her second body (my second body is the Pen F).

Both Olympus models have a great following.

And the Pen F is just flat good looking......

Jan 31, 2017 at 02:20 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pen F vs OmD

Encyclopedia of Olympus knowledge? Nah ... just Google knowledge! I was a fan of the OM Series back in the day, but could only afford the entry-level OM-10 (equivalent to today's E-M10 I guess). But the OM-10 was still a handsome little camera. When Olympus launched the OM-D in February 2012 I felt that I had to get one ... and never looked back - as I thought the sensor was only as bad as the Canon 7D and only slightly worse than my Canon 5D II in terms of noise. I was drawn to the FF Sony twice ... and gave it up both times. How long I remain with Olympus depends on what Olympus does in the next few years. I have no particular loyalty to any camera brand and I am not an Olympus fanboy!

mitesh wrote:
You're an encyclopedia of Olympus knowledge, Bobby! We should change your name to Bobby Olympus. But wait, that would make your initials "B.O."... on second thought, let's scrap that suggestion .

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.