New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

Didn't even realize this existed until yesterday, gets decent reviews on B&H. Anyone here using one? I'm usually fine with my 12mm but there are times something a bit wider would be nice. I'd prefer non-fisheye but for $85 is it worth having in the bag just for fun?

Are corners decent at all? Any attempt to de-fish the images?

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:26 PM
shmn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

I bought a GX8 and it came with this lens. Didn't think I would every use it but I actually like it a lot. I don't de-fish the images but I do sometimes crop to a 16x9 aspect to reduce the fishy look. Corners are meh but it's not bad at all for a tiny lens that's easy to use and quite fun. I like to keep the camera at waist level and use the tilt screen to take stealth shots or not even use the screen and sometimes you get winners. Focus is pre-set to one of three settings (middle setting covers most situations), aperture is set at f/8 so all you need to worry about is ISO and shutter speed.

Here are some images I took at the National Geographic Photo exhibit with this lens...all indoors in very dim lighting: https://goo.gl/photos/mr6B2ZHUdCzB4L977

Jan 31, 2017 at 06:48 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

Thanks for that. I assume it doesn't come with a front cap? Is the front element fairly recessed to not worry about it?

Jan 31, 2017 at 07:29 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

No cap. It has a built in lens cover which is controlled by the lever which sets the various focus distances. Can't recall how recessed the front element is but it certainly doesn't protrude.

Jan 31, 2017 at 07:42 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

If you haven't seen this review, it's worth reading: https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/02/olympus-9mm-fisheye-body-cap-lens-review.html

Jan 31, 2017 at 07:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

I had not seen that, much appreciated. I might have to give one of these a try one day.

Jan 31, 2017 at 08:56 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

Don't have the 9mm but the 15mm is not a great lens.

Sure it is cheap and can be fun but it is a bit of a one trick pony that gets old quick.

One thing though, I actually prefer to use the 15mm Oly body cap lens on my FF Sony A7s than on my M4/3 GX7.

Feb 01, 2017 at 04:41 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

I have a Rokinon 7mm fisheye that I am hoping to sell if anyone is interested.

Feb 01, 2017 at 04:56 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using the 9mm Body Cap Fisheye?

The 15mm f8 is kind of worthless IMO, other than using it as a lenscap. Who really wants a slow 30mm equiv ? There are like a dozen ways to cover that focal length in m43 with better quality, AF etc

Now the 9mm on the other hand, that is kind of a fun little lens, because its a semi-fisheye, so its far wider than 18mm equiv. Its not a a true 180 degree diagonal either, I think its about 140 degrees diagonal FoV so very wide, and a different look. Surprisingly good optically, cheap, and small and light enough to always have in the bag.

Fun lens that is worth the price of entry

Feb 03, 2017 at 02:44 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password