New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

James Farrell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Hi Folks: Sir Bobbytan, who, as you know posts here often (and has helped me a lot recently), suggested I solicit feedback from those EM-1 Mark 2 users who shoot wildlife-action often. My inquiry is about the recommended basic EM-1.2 basic settings for shooting action-wildlife. NOT exclusively birds in flight or ‘fast’ action, but general wildlife action shooting where most of the action is not ‘ real high speed’, e.g. a moose-elk-bear lumbering across a field … you get the idea.

Sorry to make this post so long, but I assume your feedback is only as good as the background info about me that I can provide.

As an age 70 experienced, amateur-only photographer and 10-year user of torturous, heavy Nikon gear, I have spent the past several days carefully studying the EM-1.2 full PDF manual in preparation for a delivery today, Jan. 30, of a LensRental DOT com EM-1.2 and Oly 12-100/4 IS Pro lens. Additionally, on Wednesday, an Oly 40-150/2.8 Pro and MC-14 arrive (having bought both on sale at the moment). I will likely buy the EM-1.2 and 12-100 lens from Lens Rental instead of returning them. Having played with the EM-1.2 for only a few hours, I like this system; I am embracing the m4/3 format going forward and the EM1.2 is presently at the top of my list for now. I know that I will lose subject isolation (bokeh) of long, fast glass at Nikon full-frame. But it’s either shoot with lighter weight gear going forward or take up tiddlywinks for amusement. Here’s my profile and what’s left of my gear - https://www.dpreview.com/members/6908288341/overview

I am going to the Bosque in New Mexico and to southern Arizona at the end of this week for some shooting - anything of interest that moves or can move. What I am trying to accomplish is to set up the basics with the EM-1.2 for optimal medium to slower speed action-wildlife shooting so that I can spend my vacation time shooting and evaluating the basic feel of the EM-1.2 and image results instead of fiddling with the manual. I’ll learn the EM-1.2 system in time as I have had to deal with quirky menus (e.g., Nikon) before. When I shoot next week I plan to stick to the basics and not worry about the many nuanced features of the EM-1.2 for now. I will be shooting RAW only since I use Capture One Pro 10 which fully supports the EM-1.2 ORFs and most of the Oly lens correction profiles including the ones I’ve mentioned above.

What I am trying to get my arms around is various C-AF shooting options and the shutter options. I assume the Sequential Low option might be best. But I don’t understand the pros and cons of using either the mechanical, EFC or electronic shutter options - what the pros and cons are. What frame rate offers best potential tracking? I know all too well the issues of image degradation with camera/lens vibration issues - mirror slap (of course a non issue here) and shutter-induced vibrations with my Nikon gear. So, I am now ‘focused’ (pardon the pun) on how to get the best out of the features that the EM-1.2 offers. Better IS, lower shutter speeds and hopefully, as a result, more manageable ISOs.

Eventually, when I become more familiar with the basics, I’d like to streamline or customize the setup for my style of shooting. That said, for now, I’ll stick to learning how to use the basic, important functions.

One thing for sure I’d like to know right off the bat, is whether the focus area ‘corner brackets’ that I see in the EVF can be enhanced so they’re not so hard to see. I have the focus point auto illumination set, but the thin, black corner brackets are really hard to see.

Thanks in advance for laboring through this post which I know is wordy and too long. Now that I’ve introduced myself, I’ll be more succinct going forward. >> Jim

Jan 30, 2017 at 05:59 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Ok, as one bird and wildlife shooter to another welcome to the system, you're going to enjoy it!

I use Silent (electronic) Shutter most of the time, the only downside is if panning you may get some distortion in the background, or if shooting hummingbirds their wings may distort because of the speed. Otherwise it's a great option with no wear on the system.

You'll probably use SAF plus MF for most slow moving subjects, I use this with a single focus point. This is very fast and accurate.

For BIF or other action, I use CAF non-tracking and mostly nine focus points or all focus points depending on the subject. All points works something like the Nikon system I understand. AF Area Pointer should be ON2

Turn Rec View off under the wrench tab, this eliminates a review of the prior shot in the EVF so you can track a moving subject.

I have the FN lever set to Mode 2, so flipping the lever changes from SAF plus MF with single point to CAF nine point quickly. It remembers the last settings used in each position.

I'm not sure how you change the framing in the EVF, but it may change color under Grid Settings Cog D3.

I have yet to use High Speed, 18fps is plenty fast enough for me! If you use CAF Low and mechanical shutter, it's "only" 10fps. Fyi, you can limit the number of shots in a burst if you want, it's very easy to end up with way too many shots otherwise.

I hope this helps!
Bob

Jan 30, 2017 at 06:26 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Great info Bobg657. Thanks for the very useful feedback; I'l shall tweak and test settings accordingly tomorrow. For now, settling in with a fine glass of Merlot, thinking about my new gear and my new membership in the m4/3 community.

Jan 30, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Lleuallen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

I have a hard time seeing the focusing rectangle in many situations, it is not prominent enough so I resorted to using magnify which gives a good bright green rectangle. I set magnify to a button and press it once and get the focus rectangle. I rarely press it again to get the actual magnified view. Problem is that is is often automatically turned off (review) and I have to keep pressing the button. No solution for that.

The dim focus rectangle problem has been solved. Under Cogs D3 > Grid Settings you have Preset 1 and Preset 2. Select one of them and expand. You see three settings R, G, and B. They are set 38, 38, 38 and the brightness is 75%. Select one color and jack it up to 255 and set the others to 0, I chose red. Set the brightness to 100%. Make sure that preset is selected. Now the grid lines will be too prominent so turn them off (second menu item down), the color remains and colors the focus rectangle.

Now that shows up on the monitor and we want it to show in the EVF. To do this, the EVF must be set to Style 3 (Cog I {eye} > EVF Style) and the Apply Settings EVF must be on.

I had to give up Grid Lines but it was worth it. Grid lines in bright color too distracting.

Larry

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:42 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Thanks Larry. I will test and report. Thanks for your post. >> Jim

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:19 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

There are two things that I'd ike to change via the myraid of menu choices with my EM-1.2, but I've had no luck in determining how.
1. LATE EDIT: SOLVED QUESTION 1 .... I am changing the default Fn1 (choose AF area points) to the upper front button (next to the lens mount) which is set to default White Balance so that I can more easily change the AF area given. I successfully made the change but what I'd like to do is to use a combination of the upper front button press/hold and use the REAR dial instead of the FRONT dial which is harder to manipulate with my big hands. At present, the REAR dial changes the face detect mode which would seldom ever use. How do I swap the front and rear dial operation for this particular custom setting choice.

2. Cog > A3 > Focus Ring Direction - not sure what this does. When I first saw this I wondered if this means that I can reverse the direction one turns the focus ring on a lens to focus closer or farther. In other words, I think that Nikon and Canon lenses work the opposite of each other - to focus farther on a Nikon one would turn the opposite of what you would do on a Canon lens (at least I think that's right). Since I stil have and will use Nikon lenses with my D500, I'd like my Nikon and Olympus lenses to work the same when turning the focus rings in MF mode. Does this option permit one to change how a lens ring functions?

Edited on Jan 31, 2017 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:45 PM
Paul Stuart

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Brilliant tips wondered why i was struggling the rec view has been on all the time also the function lever tip is excellent for changing c-af to s-af ,but you do loose wb and iso on the dials ,also the changing the brightness of focusing square brilliant too shooting in bright conditions can be hard to see if you have acquired focus for instance small birds in trees bushes etc ,thankyou to you people ,also another note do you think omd em1 mk2 book guide coming in the future ? i have the one for the em1 although a lot should still apply ,god so much customisation with the camera i would of never found the evf trick although i new about the grid colour changing in one the videos i watched by a olympus luminary .

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:55 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Lleuallen wrote:
I have a hard time seeing the focusing rectangle in many situations, it is not prominent enough so I resorted to using magnify which gives a good bright green rectangle. I set magnify to a button and press it once and get the focus rectangle. I rarely press it again to get the actual magnified view. Problem is that is is often automatically turned off (review) and I have to keep pressing the button. No solution for that.

The dim focus rectangle problem has been solved. Under Cogs D3 > Grid Settings you have Preset 1 and Preset 2. Select one
...Show more

Larry: Brilliant. Awesome information. Just what I was looking for. Thanks. Jim

Jan 31, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Darrell Young has a book due in August I believe.

Jan 31, 2017 at 05:18 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

Bobg657 wrote:
Darrell Young has a book due in August I believe.

Well, if I need to refer to a book 8 months from now to figure out how to work this camera I would have already thrown it in the ocean by then.

Jan 31, 2017 at 09:38 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

I imagine that some here have both the EM1 and EM1 ii. I should be interested to hear how the CAF on each compares for BIF. Clearly, the mkii will be better but is there a major improvement in the hit rate sufficient to justify its high price?

Feb 06, 2017 at 09:43 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

waterden wrote:
I imagine that some here have both the EM1 and EM1 ii. I should be interested to hear how the CAF on each compares for BIF. Clearly, the mkii will be better but is there a major improvement in the hit rate sufficient to justify its high price?

From my experience the simple answer is - Yes, no doubt about it

I had the 12-100 on the mk2 in preparation for a commissioned dance studio shoot so shot with the 100-400 on the EM-1 for the first time since buying the mk2

I couldn't believe how slow and difficult it seemed to grab focus lock on a bird in my back garden under the current poor lighting (only 40ft range)

Its got to the situation now that I just expect to get the shot with the mk2 + 100-400, without having to think about the settings (which are dialled into C1 and C2 for birding in different situations)

Its also much simpler to catch the precise moment of action that I want, even without access to pro capture .

Others may have different experiences but no buyers remorse for me

Feb 06, 2017 at 09:53 AM
String
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New EM-1.2 User Seeks Action Shooting Setup Feedback

James Farrell wrote:
There are two things that I'd ike to change via the myraid of menu choices with my EM-1.2, but I've had no luck in determining how.

2. Cog > A3 > Focus Ring Direction - not sure what this does. When I first saw this I wondered if this means that I can reverse the direction one turns the focus ring on a lens to focus closer or farther. In other words, I think that Nikon and Canon lenses work the opposite of each other - to focus farther on a Nikon one would turn the opposite of what
...Show more

That is correct James, it just changes the direction the focus ring works... Nikon or Canon

While I'm not a BIF shooter, I have been playing around with C-AF for running dogs. I've found that C-AF with Tracking using the 5 Point area to give me quite good results. I have not played with the tighter/looser options yet as its been far too cold to fiddle with out in the field. And for sure, back button focus!

Feb 06, 2017 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.