Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Question about Manfrotto tripod head - aiming camera up not possible?

thefalloftroy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Manfrotto tripod head - aiming camera up not possible?

Hi everyone, long-time reader but first-time poster here on the FM forums. I have a question about my tripod head and I feel rather silly having to ask it, but since Manfrotto's customer support was of no great help, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me.

I have a Manfrotto XPRO Geared 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head (MHXPRO-3WG) and it has been one of the best tripod heads I've owned, until this odd situation that I've found myself in. I recently purchased a new super telephoto lens (Sigma 150-600mm) with the intention of using it to photograph the moon in the night sky (among other things, but this was one of the primary reasons why I bought it). I've got quite a heavy setup, consisting of a Canon 5D Mark IV with BG-E20 battery grip attached, plus the telephoto lens, plus a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter. It weighs in just shy of the tripod head's maximum load capacity. Everything mounts on the lens' tripod collar mount just fine. But this particular tripod head has a front tilt range of -20° to +90°, meaning you can tilt it 20° backwards (aiming up at the sky) or 90° forwards (aiming down at the ground). So what I realized is that due to the much shorter "up" angle, I'm not actually able to aim my camera/lens up far enough to be able to capture the moon in the sky as it is usually much higher than 20°.

The way I see it, there are two things I could do in order to be able to get the upward angle that I want, but I'm not sure if they are safe for my equipment (I don't want to damage my tripod head, and I REALLY don't want to damage my camera or lens).

#1) The first option is to rotate the quick release plate (Manfrotto 200PL) that attaches to my tripod collar mount 180° so that the camera/lens is sitting backwards on the tripod - this would allow me to point the camera up to a 90° angle, rather than being limited by the 20° tilt when it is front-facing. However, my concern with doing this is that the quick release plate has arrows on its underside that show which direction the lens should point, and by doing this, the lens would be pointing in the opposite direction of where the arrow points. I'm not sure if that is safe to do. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is it safe? The arrows point a specific direction for a reason, so I really don't know if this is safe to do.

#2) The second option, which I think is likely even more unsafe, is to keep the quick release plate facing the correct direction, but to insert it into the tripod head backwards so that the camera/lens is facing backwards which would allow me to point the camera up to a 90° angle. But since I believe the quick release plate is specifically designed to be inserted one way, I'm assuming this is NOT something I should do.

I did reach out to Manfrotto's customer support with the same question, but all they said was that the equipment should not be used in any way other than how it was designed. Fair enough, but they didn't exactly answer the specific questions that I asked. They specifically said not to insert the quick release plate backwards into the tripod head, so I can safely rule that option (#2) out, but they didn't mention anything about attaching the quick release plate to the collar backwards in order to use the tripod head in a reverse position. Based on that response I imagine that this is not recommended either, but I'm interested to hear other feedback/advice about this.

I did come across this topic (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1367086) which is a very similar issue to mine, but the proposed solutions are for a slightly different problem in that he was already attaching his quick release plate backwards but that it would wiggle around on him.

Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar problem? Is it safe to attach the quick release plate to the tripod collar backwards so that the lens can sit backwards on the tripod and aim more upwards? Since my equipment is quite heavy, I really don't want to risk damaging anything.

And if the best/only solution is to invest in a different tripod head, is there any that you would recommend for this specific purpose that will also safely support a large weight capacity? Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide!

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Manfrotto tripod head - aiming camera up not possible?

I would buy a Gimbel head on eBay that's you best option Imo

Jan 30, 2017 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.