Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · #747 Wild No More

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #747 Wild No More

There is a battle that goes on every time I step foot in something like a zoo...there is the experience of seeing animals that it is likely I will not see in the wild in my lifetime...and there is the guilt and sadness felt for these animals living in a cage...even if that cage is a big habitat...there are still boundaries...Wild Animals...that are Wild No More.

Jan 30, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Timphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #747 Wild No More

Travis, you really captured the sense of captive sadness with the lighting, the B&W exposure, and the grim expression on the subject's face. Well done!

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:57 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #747 Wild No More

Timphoto wrote:
Travis, you really captured the sense of captive sadness with the lighting, the B&W exposure, and the grim expression on the subject's face. Well done!

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I sat and watched the few males that were out and about that early in the morning, and they all seemed to have a defeated look to them, only this male was moving around, and it seemed to do so in a way that made me think, this poor animal of the jungle has moped around this habitat in the same pattern for who knows how long...it made me sad and the animals expression felt the same as mine...

Jan 31, 2017 at 02:21 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #747 Wild No More

You just feel sad for captive animals, and then they're dwindling habitat in the Wild.

Feb 01, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #747 Wild No More

AmbientMike wrote:
You just feel sad for captive animals, and then they're dwindling habitat in the Wild.

yep, it is pretty disappointing on all fronts...

Feb 01, 2017 at 01:00 PM
goldetron

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #747 Wild No More

heads hang low in solidarity.. for Harambe. Love the contrast the backlighting adds to the animal! great photo

Feb 02, 2017 at 01:10 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #747 Wild No More

goldetron wrote:
heads hang low in solidarity.. for Harambe. Love the contrast the backlighting adds to the animal! great photo

Interesting you mention Harambe...this was shot at Animal Kingdom, part of Disney...the fake African village that this part of the park is set in...is named Harambe Market...

Feb 02, 2017 at 09:08 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #747 Wild No More

In some ways everyone is a "captive" in some way. These poor creatures more so than us. Here in the DC area had a bobcat escape the Natl Zoo and DC went into complete "lockdown". "Ollie" recon'd the human world and returned to the zoo. Heh 3 squares, nobody shooting at me, a photo op......while sad and terrible to me and them...is it really safer outside?? But my heart saddens for these beautiful creatures. I say let's turn them all loose and let THEM decide who stays or goes.
Excellant Travis.
Dan

Feb 03, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #747 Wild No More

Danpbphoto wrote:
In some ways everyone is a "captive" in some way. These poor creatures more so than us. Here in the DC area had a bobcat escape the Natl Zoo and DC went into complete "lockdown". "Ollie" recon'd the human world and returned to the zoo. Heh 3 squares, nobody shooting at me, a photo op......while sad and terrible to me and them...is it really safer outside?? But my heart saddens for these beautiful creatures. I say let's turn them all loose and let THEM decide who stays or goes.
Excellant Travis.
Dan

It certainly would be interesting, but to turn them loose in an urban environment when their natural habitat is anything but urban...I think they would all return to what they know...and most were probably born in captivity, and don't know life as a wild animal, they would survive like a domestic animal would if let loose....

Feb 03, 2017 at 11:07 AM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #747 Wild No More

Awesome work, Travis!

Carolyn

Feb 06, 2017 at 08:59 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #747 Wild No More

CDalessandro wrote:
Awesome work, Travis!

Carolyn

Thank you very much Carolyn. Much appreciated.

Feb 06, 2017 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.