Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · College basketball

crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · College basketball

Definitely out of practice but still trying to learn. Went to my first college basketball game (and first game in maybe a few years) and tried out the new-to-me 7D Mark II and the 5D III. First time in this gym and didn't know what to expect in terms of sideline/endline space. Took the 300 2.8 and essentially it was too long on the crop body and the 5DIII, so I ended up using the 70-200 2.8 II most of the time. Got cut off feet at times and maybe should have moved to the 24-70 2.8 or something like that. Always good to look over my shots and think about how to improve. Looking back, I think I should have varied my position more to get different viewpoints. Will try to do better next time, but thought I'd share a few of the better ones along with my thoughts on how to improve. Always appreciate CC from others!

© crteach 2017

2.8 loses the girl's face somewhat - need to stick to a higher f-stop

© crteach 2017

I found that most of my vertical shots were slightly tilted clockwise and had to be corrected by cropping in post processing. I shot tightly enough that it then would crop out other players enough that I ended up with arms but no bodies.

© crteach 2017

At least got part of the basket but might have waited a fraction longer to get the peak of his jump so more of the basket was in the view.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:14 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · College basketball

Nice work. Isn’t D2 college ball great? All the access of high school but with greater athleticism and sometimes better light. A few things pop to mind when I look at these …

• In the first shot, you are at 1/2500th. That’s more than twice as fast as you need to be. You can settle in at 800-1000th with no blur and really help yourself with the ISO at 2.8. You are fine at f/2.8 – you could live there and still get all the sharpness you need.

• I assume you were using the 70/200 2.8 for the second and third? You could/should have stayed at 2.8 rather than f/3.5 and f 4.0. 2.8 is really going to drop that ISO and increase your consistency.

Next time in that gym, put it in manual ,set it at 2.8 and 1/800th or 1/1000th and don't touch anything else and see what the Photo Gods give you.

• This last point is a personal thing and I’m sure I’ve said this in other threads so forgive me…. But everyone will tell you that “basketball is a vertical game and that it needs to be shot vertically.” I call BS. This has become an unfortunate trope and common point of repetition for people who write about shooting basketball but don’t actually do it. Why? Because it sounds like it makes sense. Take a look at a Sports Illustrated. You will find just as many – if not more – landscapes. Your palette for composition in a landscape is far more dynamic and the plays that unfold are more varied. If you shoot vertically, after jump shot number 6,591 and drive to the basket number 7,443 your pictures will all look the same to anyone who looks at your collection … Including the players. There needs to be a mix in a collection.

I’m not saying that’s the case here. You may have a shot a lot of horizontals – I just like to get on that soapbox on this subject!

Jan 30, 2017 at 07:54 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · College basketball

PureMichigan wrote:
• This last point is a personal thing and I’m sure I’ve said this in other threads so forgive me…. But everyone will tell you that “basketball is a vertical game and that it needs to be shot vertically.” I call BS.

+1

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:14 AM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · College basketball

Thanks, Pure MIchigan - first shot was Aperture priority and, yes, 1/2500 really is much faster than needed. I should be more aware of that so I can lower the ISO.

70-200 was used for all 3 shots. The 2nd and 3rd shots above were on manual.

Good advice on taking more shots in landscape orientation. I included a few examples below (no NR done on those) but as I look back over the set you are correct that I took most in vertical orientation. I might need to go with a wider lens under the basket when using the 7Dii.

© crteach 2017

70-200 2.8 with the 7Dii when I was using AE mode.

© crteach 2017

Here I was using the 5DIII with the 300 2.8 in landscape orientation (still AE mode)

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · College basketball

Now you're talkin'! I think the last one is the strongest of the batch -- ball on hand, the coach, a little emotion, the orange shoes.... can't often cram that into a vertical.

You have a nice camera/lens combo -- get your money's worth -- just set it in M at 2.8/1 800th, AUTO ISO and you'll be good to go!

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.