New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

Lynn Ross
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

I have purchased two Godox 860 n type flashes and I'm thinking on getting a flash meter to go alone with these flashes.

Will any of Sekonic meters work with these flashes or is there one out there that will work with them.

I know it's not a great question to ask but I'm new to Flash photography and would like to know I've read some and it's question that gets a lot of different answers.

Lynn

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

So nobody has an answer to this question?

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

No Sekonic will control or trigger the flashes, that I know of.

Here's what I do:
- RadioPopper Sekonic module in a 758
- this triggers a RadioPopper Nano, on top of which sits a Godox X1T
- the X1T controls/triggers the godox flashes, which are then metered

Works fine. I happened to have RP stuff lying around, but any similar arrangement should work.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

Thanks kaplah,

I have the X1t and the X1 r but no radiopopper what other kind of stuff would work?
And it seems that you have to get the module for sekonic also.

Lynn

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

What if you put the X1T on camera then put a cable from the Sekonic to the X1T would that work?

Lynn

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:07 PM
jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

just get a sekonic L358. That's what I use. With the 358, you click the button and it puts the meter in "watch" mode which means it re-registers a meter reading everytime it senses a flash. No need to reset or click the button again. After a couple minutes of inactivity it will go into sleep mode if it doesn't sense a flash in that time but it's super simple and very accurate. Highly recommended. You can find them used for $125ish.

Jan 30, 2017 at 01:56 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

Thanks jzucker,
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks

Lynn

Jan 30, 2017 at 03:37 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

jzucker wrote:
just get a sekonic L358. That's what I use. With the 358, you click the button and it puts the meter in "watch" mode which means it re-registers a meter reading everytime it senses a flash.

Yes, most meters will have a "C" (cordless) mode. It can be problematic when competing with a lot of ambient, but indoors is fine.

Jan 30, 2017 at 04:33 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

kaplah wrote:
Yes, most meters will have a "C" (cordless) mode. It can be problematic when competing with a lot of ambient, but indoors is fine.

Yes, but most meters that have a cordless mode can read a SINGLE reading and then you have to press the button again to put it back in receiving mode. The thing that's nice about the 358 is once you put it in that mode, you can pop the flash any number of times and it keeps re-reading the flash.

I use mine outdoors all the time, and have never had a problem with ambient light, even doing beach shoots. The 358 is pretty solid in that regard.

Jan 30, 2017 at 04:50 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

jzucker wrote:
Yes, but

I'm not sure why you were compelled to but me. The OP asked about sekonic, you mentioned sekonic, I listed a sekonic, and yes, each of my (three over time) sekonic meters has the cordless mode mentioned.

PS: the issue with ambient / cordless is when flash is contributing little to the exposure (as in, modest kicker). If it's used as key I find, as you, that it meters fine.

From the 358 manual (9EV is a lot! so I suppose it's something of a corner case):
When firing a flash, if the flash brightness is 9EV lower than the ambient light, the meter may fail to detect the light. In this case, make measurements using the Cord flash mode.

And one I didn't know about:
Rapid start fluorescent lamps and special lighting are sometimes mistaken for flash, and accidentally measured. In this case, make measurements using the Cord flash mode.

Jan 31, 2017 at 08:38 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

i regularly use flash in combination with fluorescents and have never had a problem.

And 9EV lower than ambient is an extreme case. You are listing cases which are EXTREMELY RARE and 9EV lower than ambient is a case where you just would not use the flash because it would be contributing NOTHING!

So yes in theory you could go out of your way to encounter problems with metering flash in certain circumstances but in 25+ years, I have rarely encountered any problems.

The reason I replied to your posting is because a newbie might misconstrue the issues based on some of these edge cases!

Jan 31, 2017 at 08:54 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

I use my Sekonic lightmeters with my Godox v860n's and they work fine. Just don't use Yongnuo 622 triggers with them, as the Sekonic won't be able to read the flash with that trigger system. With the Godox triggers it will work perfectly

Jan 31, 2017 at 09:36 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

the triggers don't have anything to do with meter readings unless you are setting the lights in TTL/HSS mode.

pr4photos wrote:
I use my Sekonic lightmeters with my Godox v860n's and they work fine. Just don't use Yongnuo 622 triggers with them, as the Sekonic won't be able to read the flash with that trigger system. With the Godox triggers it will work perfectly

Jan 31, 2017 at 09:40 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

jzucker wrote:
the triggers don't have anything to do with meter readings unless you are setting the lights in TTL/HSS mode.

That is not correct. Some trigger/controllers, such as the Yongnuo 622 mentioned by pr4photos and the Phottix Odin, send out a pre-flash even in Manual mode, at least on Nikons. Which makes metering either awkward (the newest Odin firmware can put a 2-second, I believe, gap between the preflash and the "real" flash) or essentially impossible.

Godox trigger/controllers don't do a pre-flash in Manual.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:58 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

if the remote is sending a pre-flash in manual mode, i apologize for posting incorrect information. That's totally invalid protocol for the transmitter to send a pre-flash request to the flash in manual mode, that's just a bug with that transmitter.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:24 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

jzucker wrote:
that's just a bug with that transmitter.

Agreed, it's a terrible design, but common. Up until the godox, the only trigger/controllers I knew of that didn't send a preflash in manual were the radiopopper jr2 and the pocketwizard controlTL line.

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:31 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

If your camera allows you to set a Shutter Delay of about one second, the Sekonic will have reset itself after the Preflash and will then read the full flash correctly.

That works for me with my Sekonic L358 (in Cordless mode) in combination with Yuongnuo 622-n units and a Nikon D5.

I trigger the set-up from an additional hand-held YN 622-n.

Feb 10, 2017 at 05:48 PM
jskintauy

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

I think it's a good idea to get an additional trigger as AnnJS suggested, so you don't have to remove the one you have from the camera. It's a lot more convenient and only costs are $40.

Feb 14, 2017 at 09:07 PM
digiguy

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Godox (any kind) 860n flash meter

I don't know about the Yongnuo not firing either that is something i will have to test.
What i know is that i normally use pws most of the time so i don't have that problem but sometimes i work with other photographers and i use my L-558r and never have a problem, however the way i do it may make a differents.
I normally get someone to hit test on the flash I'm metering. As i think back now that's the way i always do, never with the trigger, i put it on standby mode when it sees the light it meters and gives me my aperture.

Mar 16, 2017 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.