New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · best low light bang for buck option

mpix345
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · best low light bang for buck option

I've been deep in to the photography hobby for about ten years now. My only full frame experience has been the venerable Canon 5D. But I've tried damn near everything else (APS-C and smaller) over that decade. My conclusion, based on my needs and what I shoot, is that the gear doesn't matter all that much, except for low light shooting. You just can't cheat physics in the end.

So, the question. I want a low light "system". May just be camera + lens; probably two lenses tops. Either a fast 50 or maybe a 35 + 85. I may use it for other things, but that is not a priority. Needs to be "best bang for buck" option. IOW, cheap (relatively speaking). And to clarify, "low light" for me means people (casual portraits). Unposed, with some movement.

I'm thinking Nikon D600 or Sony A7. Posting here because I am already leaning Nikon because of lens options, so I don't mind a little bias.

What do you think between those two? Other options? I don't want MF lenses, so please ignore that option even though it is best bang for buck.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · best low light bang for buck option

Any of the current Nikon 1.8 primes should suit you fine for low light. I can't comment on the D600 as I have never used it but some bodies will be better than others for low light AF. I'm sure many will try to push you towards a D750.

Jan 29, 2017 at 01:37 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · best low light bang for buck option

If subject isn't moving, the camera really doesn't matter at all. I sometimes use a 1904 Kodak Brownie for night shots--ISO 400 with f11 lens. Some of the best nights in the city photos ever taken were done by the great Brassai, around 1930. Stunning photos, yet to be surpassed! Camera was a Voigtlander Bergheil shooting 6.5x9cm glass plates, ISO 10, superb Heliar lens 105mm f4.5. If you are into city shots at night, you need to buy one of his books. I suggest the first, "Paris de Nuit" (Paris by Night.)
https://www.google.com/search?q=paris+by+night+brassai&espv=2&biw=1540&bih=887&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiS_c3BhujRAhWh6oMKHY2lCqMQsAQIHw&dpr=1.25

Below shot taken with a 1932 Kodak Brownie No.2 Model F, Ilford FP4 ISO 125.
Second shot taken with a 1958 Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, Ilford HP5 (ISO 400)

The Brownie Hawkeye can be snagged on ebay for less than ten bucks.

Kent in SD

Jasper, MN

Pipestone County Fair

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:12 PM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · best low light bang for buck option

I used to shoot indoor sports with a D600 and I had pretty good results. I used it mainly with a 70-200 and at about 6400 the image started to be pretty poor. AF was reasonably good, and I think with the 85 1.8 it would be a really solid combo for basketball. I bet you could snap a used body and lens for about $1000. For portraits, it truly is a great bang for your buck option.

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:25 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · best low light bang for buck option

Can't speak to the A7, but the sensor on the D600 is excellent bang for buck in dark conditions. AF on the other hand, less so. If subjects are moving much and you don't mind sticking to the center AF point, it will do alright.

Certainly more and cheaper AF lens options for the Nikon though.

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:25 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · best low light bang for buck option

D600 would be my vote, used would be even better because there's a pretty good chance you'll spend ~$700 and end up with a brand new D610 if you don't mind waiting ~2-3 weeks with service and shipping. Worst case scenario you get one that's fine and takes great low light and candid portraits. AF for movement, I'd agree with BSPhotog above, good enough for somethings with some caveats, but certainly no D750 or D500. IF you will be using AF in trying situations or with fast subjects, and IF you'll only buy new then a refurb D750 (~1400-1500) is the same price as a new D610.

Lenses would be up to you and with your preferences for focal lengths factored in. The Nikon 1.8's are all great with the exception of the 50s (hated em for a variety of reasons). Also, the 3rd parties have really really stepped up lately. In fact, for a budget and wanting something quality I'd opt for maybe a two prime setup: Tamron 35 (or 45) and an 85 1.8 with VC (stabilization) would be my first suggestion. Sigmas if you want to spend a little more and prefer their rendering.

If you want a zoom for the convenience maybe the 24-120 f4 af-s vr, and a 35/50/85 for low light stuff?

The A7 was a wonderful camera, but after mine got stolen I immediately went back to Nikon because they just didn't have any lenses back then (early 2016) and now that they do they're all ridiculously expensive and just as big if not bigger than their CaNikon counterparts.

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:26 PM
bobmcg
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · best low light bang for buck option

Consider a used Df. It is still the prince of darkness.

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:31 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · best low light bang for buck option

A used Df and 50/1.4D-AF Nikkor. Very good low light set-up.

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:42 PM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · best low light bang for buck option

How about the D750. It not only takes great pictures it focuses great in low light

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:21 PM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · best low light bang for buck option

Thanks for all the constructive replies. Df and 750 are more than I want to spend, but I do appreciate that they would be a serious step up from the 600. That seems to be my landing spot. Nice to have that validation. I'm not looking at anything close to fast action in low light, so I can live with OK AF performance, and center point should almost always be good enough.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:35 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · best low light bang for buck option

mpix345 wrote:
Thanks for all the constructive replies. Df and 750 are more than I want to spend, but I do appreciate that they would be a serious step up from the 600. That seems to be my landing spot. Nice to have that validation. I'm not looking at anything close to fast action in low light, so I can live with OK AF performance, and center point should almost always be good enough.

Sounds like you've got a plan. D600s are available here on the buy/sell boards at a pretty reasonable price. I don't forsee the resale value dropping much over the next year, so you can probably unload it for about what you pay now (give or take a small amount) should you choose to move on to a different body.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:41 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · best low light bang for buck option

d600 w/ a 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. or do 28mm 1.8 to save money.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:14 AM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · best low light bang for buck option

chuhsi1 wrote:
d600 w/ a 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. or do 28mm 1.8 to save money.

Yeah, I was thinking that a lone 50 might be enough, but the 35/85 combo is probably going to be too tempting.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · best low light bang for buck option

mpix345 wrote:

Normally when people are looking for a good " low light" set up, they are looking for a sensor with great high iso performance and bright optics. That usually means shooting action in challenging conditions, ot hand hold rather than tripod mounting. I am curious as to the kind if things you will be shooting, since you stated you wont be shooting action. If you are tripod mounting, you really dont need high iso sensors or bright optics. I lot of people make that mistake.

Jan 30, 2017 at 01:33 AM
Diallo_Jamal
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · best low light bang for buck option

D600 and 28 1.8G have been my go to combo for indoor low light casual shooting for a while now. The low light AF isn't too bad, if as other have said, you don't mind using the center AF point.
A few examples that I don't claim are great, but representative of some of my typical usage.

ISO 10K SS1/40 A1.8
DSC_2395-34 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr

ISO 640 SS1/40 A2.2
DSC_3954-30 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr

ISO 11K SS1/50 A1.8
DSC_4628-55 by Diallo Jamal, on Flickr

Jan 30, 2017 at 01:39 AM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · best low light bang for buck option

Nikon deals has a Grey market D750 for 1299 right now. I'm pretty sure it's serviceable by Nikon in the US also. But check on that

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:58 AM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · best low light bang for buck option

Max Power wrote:
Normally when people are looking for a good " low light" set up, they are looking for a sensor with great high iso performance and bright optics. That usually means shooting action in challenging conditions, ot hand hold rather than tripod mounting. I am curious as to the kind if things you will be shooting, since you stated you wont be shooting action. If you are tripod mounting, you really dont need high iso sensors or bright optics. I lot of people make that mistake.

What Diallo_Jamal posted pretty much covers my needs. The sort of shots where people are moving to some degree because they are not posed, but by no means what I would consider "action" shots.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · best low light bang for buck option

mpix345 wrote:
What Diallo_Jamal posted pretty much covers my needs. The sort of shots where people are moving to some degree because they are not posed, but by no means what I would consider "action" shots.

Gotcha, thanks.

Interiors hand-held, I use a Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art on an 810 body, but it would work even better on a 750.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:45 AM
mpix345
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · best low light bang for buck option

Now the Sony RX1 has also popped in to my mind on this. Like the size for sure. Like the fact that I would never be tempted to add more lenses! Unfortunately that can also be a negative just as easily...

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · best low light bang for buck option

Of the A7, D600 and RX1, I would think the D600 would be the choice in your situation.

D600 low light (image quality and AF) would be better than the A7 and RX1 though maybe not by a huge amount.

The A7 I had was a nice camera and not bad in low light actually (I do shoot a lot in low light) but its AF slows down in really low light as it switches from PDAF to CDAF (was not an issue for me but might be for you).

I would prefer the A7 but because of the EVF and shape/size, focus peaking and more while it is still an ok low light camera but your needs maybe it swings back to the D600.

While I loved my A7 and used it solidly for two years, I also have an A7s and that is the low light camera I have always wanted. If you can find a used one close to your budget, I would suggest you try that. I can walk out my door at night with any lens I want and simply shoot hand held (and see with the EVF when I can barely do so with my eyes alone).

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:41 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.