New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

jkurata

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Hi

I was wondering is some of the people that upgraded from the Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mk1 to the Mk2 could give me their thoughts on the best features of the new camera.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2017 at 04:47 AM
Bobg657
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Absolutely faster and more responsive in every way, far better CAF, somewhat better raw file noise at higher ISO, features such as Pro Capture and High Res, better battery life by far. I like the flip in lcd, others may not though.

I'm a wildlife and bird photog, so many of these features matter to me, YMMV.

Jan 29, 2017 at 05:08 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

same as Bob + the ergonomics suit me better, I don't need the battery grip to feel comfortable hand-holding with the panny 100-400

The improved IS is also a bonus as I have an age-related tremor, its particularly good with the 12-100

Then there is the undefinable enjoyment factor, I still have and enjoy using my mk1 but there is something about the experience of using the mk2 that just seems so right every time I pick it up and use it

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:31 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Speed, speed, speed. Since the new electronic shutter has virtually no rolling shutter effect, I never use the mechanical shutter. This gives me 18 frames per second at low burst rates with AF between each shot. For BiFs and other wildlife, this is simply marvelous. Add in the much better C-AF and larger grip, and this is a boonies shooters dream camera.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:39 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

The C-AF improvement is huge. Still behind a DSLR but it's a very significant difference compared to the E-M1. Battery life is amazing for a mirrorless camera with EVF. Dual card slot is great. FPS speed is awesome. Silent shutter has insignificant rolling shutter effect, Pro Capture is revolutionary, customizability is insane, and on and on.

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:21 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

For birders it's the best mirrorless option when you take into consideration, FPS, AF, and lens lineup. Dual card slots, high res shot mode, are all nice additions as well.

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:56 PM
doofclenas

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

It sounds silly...but I absolutely love the new shutter sound.

Other than that, now having a usable c-af, custom c1,2, &3 settings on the dial, dual slots, high Rez mode, and crazy burst speeds are all pluses over the em1.

The downside is trying to sell my em1, since most people are looking to upgrade to the em1.2...I've had no bites.

Jan 30, 2017 at 01:13 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

gary0319 wrote:
Since the new electronic shutter has virtually no rolling shutter effect, .......

Not true. I have experienced it, and there are examples on DPR showing the "jello effect" on the wings of an owl in flight.

Jan 30, 2017 at 02:25 AM
jkurata

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Thanks! Does anyone still shoot with their MK1?

Jan 30, 2017 at 06:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Of course. Not as the main camera but as a 2nd camera with a different lens on it.

jkurata wrote:
Thanks! Does anyone still shoot with their MK1?

Jan 30, 2017 at 06:45 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

yes, I have the 100-400 on the mk2 and the 12-100 on the EM-1 when shooting in static situations (like from the conservatory)

Saves switching lenses when birds suddenly decide to sit move close to me

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:21 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Imagemaster wrote:
Not true. I have experienced it, and there are examples on DPR showing the "jello effect" on the wings of an owl in flight.

Well, let me restate........I have not experienced any jello effect on any of my BiF images.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:11 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

jkurata wrote:
Hi

I was wondering is some of the people that upgraded from the Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mk1 to the Mk2 could give me their thoughts on the best features of the new camera.

Thanks

High res mode, 20mp, improved DR, dual card slots, overall speed, better grip, improved video. I also like the new articulating screen for some things but I like the tilt screen on the E-M1 better for some other things.

Jan 30, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

"I have not experienced any jello effect on any of my BiF images."

Neither have I Gary, I have managed to get it on helicopter blades but that is about all so far

I'm hoping it may provide an interesting effect on some of my Bee's in Flight shots of their wings though

Jan 30, 2017 at 04:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Yeah, I am still trying to get used to the articulating screen. I like the tilting screen better for those overhead and waist level shots. Having to flip out the screen and have the screen to one side takes a lot of getting used to ... for me.

RobCD wrote:
High res mode, 20mp, improved DR, dual card slots, overall speed, better grip, improved video. I also like the new articulating screen for some things but I like the tilt screen on the E-M1 better for some other things.

Jan 30, 2017 at 05:29 PM
jkurata

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Any thoughts on the video quality? I thought the new screen my be useful to see myself in video segments that I shoot for my training courses.

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:35 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Better autofocus and 4K video and getting two SD card slots were key factors and in that order of importance. Weather sealing is also something that was a big plus as I had problems with the E-M1 in cold weather with the shutter freezing up.

Having a processor dedicated to autofocus is something that is also found with the new Nikon D5 and D500 cameras and it is a better approach to maximize performance.

Feb 04, 2017 at 09:43 PM
jkurata

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Oly EM-1 MK1 to MK2 upgraders best changes

Thanks for the posts, I pulled the trigger on the MK2. Got the box yesterday. Still deciding on the 12-100 since I already own the 12-40. The 12-100 sounds perfect go anywhere lens.

Feb 05, 2017 at 03:19 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password