New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Shoals Creek Mill

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shoals Creek Mill

I finally sat down to work on some of the re-shoot images I went back up to take last fall per suggestions I received here from a few folks.

Yeah, I know. I'm a slacker.

I thought it might be fun to post a poll so even the lurkers out there can weigh in on their thoughts without having to come out of the dark corners of cyber space.

Would appreciate your poll selection as well as the reasons why one works better than the others. If you don't want to take the time to comment in detail I understand, which is why I thought a poll might be useful.

Any and all other C&C is welcomed encouraged and invited.

Dave

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:21 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shoals Creek Mill

Shoals creak Mill house.

Dave

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shoals Creek Mill

the structures seem to angle this way and that, most strongly in the first.
For me the third has the best balance overall. First plays as foreground as main subject given its size, dominance. Second feels a bit more balanced, but my eye wants to go to the red building and flowing water, which seem relatively small. With a bit more water, foreground, third would stand out even more for me

Scott

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:55 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shoals Creek Mill

I like the first and last best. I like the rich, warm colors. The second shot seems to have a slight magenta cast. I also like the angle in the first, however, as Scott said the foreground is a bit overpowering and distracting. may be cropping out some on the bottom and the left you can make the image more balanced.
Socrate

P.S. Have you tried any vert composition of that site?

Edited on Jan 29, 2017 at 01:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:06 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shoals Creek Mill

Three major elements in image 2 form a natural triangulated composition leading the eye boldly from the building to the rocks at left centre to brightly coloured leaves at bottom.

Jan 29, 2017 at 03:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shoals Creek Mill

+1 @ much of Scott and the others.

Took a swing at the skew and crop working off #3. That roofline was killin' me.

I think the question becomes what your desired message is.

A) Here's the mill

B) Here's where the mill was built

#3 supports A, while #1 & #2 support B.

If your message is B), then I'd look to adjust the amount of mass of the foreshortening FG as it does dominate a bit much. Cool stuff, but when it is THAT dominant, the message becomes "Look at the big honkin' rock ... never mind the other crap in the pic." Some judicious re-weighting / re-balancing (modified #1) might be in order depending on how you want that relationship to be conveyed.

Of course, if your desired message IS

C) Look at the big honkin' rock, how cool is that.

Just kinda depends on what you're tryin' to say to folks.

Also, moody things like "serenity" vs. "arduous", "rugged" or "isolated" also play into what the role of your FG / foreshortening will play.

Bust out the "telephone game" and make the call to Jeff @ "Dude, you gotta see this ..." and see where it is that you want it to go. If you message is serenity, etc. that takes you one place. If it is bad-ass rock formation and the emotion associated with getting there ... that's a different place.

As always, your message, your pic, your call ... you gotta know what you're tryin' to say to your viewer(s), whether that is you as the viewer, or others as viewer(s).

Just straighten that dang roof line (at least a little bit).

NOTE: Working off the small jpg (better @ full size file), things got kinda fuzzy with the amount of skew involved, so some atypical USM was in order to attempt the fuzz-fest offset (artifacts & color shifts be darned). But, hopefully you get the gist @ a few to tickle the brain fodder.

Jan 29, 2017 at 09:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shoals Creek Mill

2 by a longshot. For me it's all about color. The floating leaves in the foreground make this one a standout.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:16 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shoals Creek Mill

RustyBug wrote:

A) Here's the mill

If your message is B), then I'd look to adjust the amount of mass of the foreshortening FG as it does dominate a bit much. Cool stuff, but when it is THAT dominant, the message becomes "Look at the big honkin' rock ... never mind the other crap in the
...Show more

Ken, leveling that house can be tricky. Having been at that location and having been taking and editing many pics of that site I realized that the only way to level the house is to use the vertical left corner of the house. I know the roof line makes it as if it is leaning to the left but that is only the perspective and if you use that as reference for leveling the image you make the house leaning to the right (very evident in your second re-edit). Been there, done that. The little shack at the bottom right of the red house is in reality leaning quite a bit to the left, I don't know if it was built that way or just sunk on its side somehow, but that is how is in reality, and that tricks your eyes even more. If you measure the verticals of the red house you'll see that the house is actually leaning to the right in your edit, even if the roof line is perfectly horizontal.
Socrate.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:58 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shoals Creek Mill

Well... I guess it's nice to know that no one hit the "OMG! My eyes" option at least.

sbeme wrote:
the structures seem to angle this way and that, most strongly in the first.
For me the third has the best balance overall. First plays as foreground as main subject given its size, dominance. Second feels a bit more balanced, but my eye wants to go to the red building and flowing water, which seem relatively small. With a bit more water, foreground, third would stand out even more for me

Scott

Thanks Scott. I see the angle variances from one to the next you mentioned and have tried to correct this.
Below is a rework of #3 with more FG water added. Pretty much all I got to work with there. Let me know if that's what you had in mind.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

Shasoc wrote:
I like the first and last best. I like the rich, warm colors. The second shot seems to have a slight magenta cast. I also like the angle in the first, however, as Scott said the foreground is a bit overpowering and distracting. may be cropping out some on the bottom and the left you can make the image more balanced.
Socrate

P.S. Have you tried any vert composition of that site?

Thanks Socrate. I don't see the magenta cast but I believe you that it's there. I might have caused that myself because I attempted to selectively "cool" some areas the looked way too warm to my eyes. With all the fall "warm" colors, these type of images are very difficult for me so I relied on the white water and some of the white trim to set the WB. And even at that it was rather hard due to the lighting and shadows.

Dave

Rick Joyce wrote:
Three major elements in image 2 form a natural triangulated composition leading the eye boldly from the building to the rocks at left centre to brightly coloured leaves at bottom.

Thank you Rick! Finally someone "got it".
I went through great pains to get into that position to try and use the rocks and waterfalls ledge (left wall) as lead-in lines to guide the viewers eyes into and over to the Mill and falls.
I apparently missed the mark though as it sounds like the rock mass is overpowering the image rather than guiding the eyes into the scene.

Dave

RustyBug wrote:

A) Here's the mill

If your message is B), then I'd look to adjust the amount of mass of the foreshortening FG as it does dominate a bit much. Cool stuff, but when it is THAT dominant, the message becomes "Look at the big honkin' rock ... never mind the other crap in the
...Show more

Thanks Kent. I did try to ask myself what the message is with these which is why I ended up with 3 different comps. They all say something a little different or at least in a different way I think. They are all about the Shoals Creek and the Mill. I get what you are saying about the message but what I was curious about is simply which composition is the most visually pleasing to the viewer. I think I understand what your saying about the the mood and had considered doing some adjustments in post to # 1 to take it into almost a painterly direction to both reduce the impact of the fg rock in your face thing as well as play up on the ruggedness appearance. I might do some more playing with that one because I spent a good amount of time trying to get that comp. Even though it's not seen by most a good comp, I can't give up on that one yet.

Now that roof line thing. Sorry dude, I'm not a carpenter and I didn't feel like crawling up there to fix it before I shot it. Seriously though, it is a really messed up structure and because of it being so out of kilter in some areas I had a heck of a time figuring out any rotational adjustments. Lens distortion did not cause what you are seeing.

And for a phone call to Jeff while on scene. Ummm... Maybe not. I can't really type those kinds of words here. This is a PG rated forum and the conversation probably would have been something to the effect of
"Dude! you need to see this .....ing place! It's so ....ing cool and it has this really kick .... rock wall and killer ....ing long rocks leading into the ....ing water.. and ....

Yeah, Jeff brings out the NY yankee in me.

Dave

ben egbert wrote:
2 by a longshot. For me it's all about color. The floating leaves in the foreground make this one a standout.

Thanks Ben! I kinda thought that one might work best for you. I have some head scratching to do to figure out which of these to print after making some adjustments. I might try something a little out there on #1 image but I doubt it will go over very well here.

Dave

Image 3 rework added back more FG water

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shoals Creek Mill

Shasoc wrote:
Ken, leveling that house can be tricky.

+1 @ sometimes level isn't level after all.

Tough to know which is which without being there to evaluate ... trade-offs's and guesses from here for sure. Funny too, how after coming back to it ... I can more readily see the "over-correction" than while trying to adjust.

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shoals Creek Mill

lighthound wrote:
I can't give up on that one yet.

I was hoping you'd feel that way @ no guts, no glory (PG version ).

I think it has the most promise of being the more dynamic of the three with those lines, etc. Some challenges to work through, but Adams (et al) kept at reworks and reworks of reworks, etc. Getting all the pieces dialed in ... PITA ... er, I mean labor of love.

Sometimes, it's a five minute fix ... sometimes it's Fifty First Dates, sometimes its Fifty Shades of Grey.

In the end, they each have their different appeal, different message(s) and different challenges. I suspect you'll come back and forth to (at least one) them from time to time. As Adams advanced, he'd go back and revisit his fav's too. So, you're in okay company.

Your masterpiece is yet to be unfolded.

Jan 29, 2017 at 02:45 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shoals Creek Mill

Took another stab at the image #1.
I went to a more painterly vibe/effect and cropped a some off the left side and bottom and a smidgen off the right.

I applied a filter effect to most of the image except the house area to reduce the eye draw to the left rock face and FG. Using brightness, sharpness and colors to pull the eye toward the Mill house and falls.

Aside from threatening the viewer with a sledge hammer or a sharp pointy object, I'm not sure what else I could do.

Oh and I'm sure by now I have introduced some color cast someplace that I can't see so unless it's really bad and kills the image don't tell me.

Thoughts on this processing and edit? Did I kill it in a bad way or a good way?

Gulp...

Dave

Image #1 rework

Jan 29, 2017 at 04:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shoals Creek Mill

Torn on 2 vs 3. Love the framing of the leaves in 2, but 3 puts more emphasis on the structure and "feels" better.

Love the color in this scene.

Jeff

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:19 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shoals Creek Mill

Your last rework is the one I would print if 1 is the one.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:16 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shoals Creek Mill

beavens wrote:
Torn on 2 vs 3. Love the framing of the leaves in 2, but 3 puts more emphasis on the structure and "feels" better.

Love the color in this scene.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'm curious what your thoughts are between the OP Image #3 and the edit I had posted adding more water to the FG that Scott suggested. Better? Worse?

Also, what are your thoughts on the color? Do you think I have more room to punch it up a notch? After my rework on #1 image I'm thinking I might have left some color goodness off the table with all of these. But then again, not many folks have commented on that rework so maybe not.

Dave

ben egbert wrote:
Your last rework is the one I would print if 1 is the one.

Thanks Ben. I'm leaning toward that one but haven't decided yet. Something about the rocks that I like, which is funny because that's the very thing most folks are saying they don't like in that image.

I think I'm going to rework #2 & #3 similar to what I did on that last edit of #1. I do like the colors and tones in that one much more than all the OP images. They all seem kinda flat to my eyes.
I'm always afraid of going too far and often I never see it until I walk away and come back to it several weeks later.

Dave

Jan 30, 2017 at 02:29 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shoals Creek Mill

lighthound wrote:
Thanks Jeff. I'm curious what your thoughts are between the OP Image #3 and the edit I had posted adding more water to the FG that Scott suggested. Better? Worse?

Also, what are your thoughts on the color? Do you think I have more room to punch it up a notch? After my rework on #1 image I'm thinking I might have left some color goodness off the table with all of these. But then again, not many folks have commented on that rework so maybe not.

Dave

Color looks spot-on to me! No funny casts or anything. I think you would have room for a slight vib/sat boost, but that's all to taste. Might want to talk with the printers here about needing to boost things a bit to prep for the print, but that's outta my realm.

As far as the crop goes I've got what seems to make the most sense in my eyes below. It's fairly close to what you've got, just with not as much FG. I like the more natural left to right flow that less FG gives me by following the waterfalls more.

I'm no landscaper, either, so take the coupla pennies at face value.

Jeff

Jan 30, 2017 at 04:38 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shoals Creek Mill

I'm late to the game (very busy time of the year right now and have been away from FM for a bit) and others have provided ample feedback.

So I was going to leave well enough alone, but #2 hit me hard and I HAD to take a moment to say that I like it very much. For me, it stands head and shoulders above 1 and 3 and needs no additional rework.

Jan 31, 2017 at 02:51 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shoals Creek Mill

beavens wrote:
Color looks spot-on to me! No funny casts or anything. I think you would have room for a slight vib/sat boost, but that's all to taste. Might want to talk with the printers here about needing to boost things a bit to prep for the print, but that's outta my realm.

As far as the crop goes I've got what seems to make the most sense in my eyes below. It's fairly close to what you've got, just with not as much FG. I like the more natural left to right flow that less FG gives me by following the waterfalls
...Show more

Thank again Jeff. I played with this one again last night and ended up with a crop very similar to your edit which I do like better than my OP crop. I nudged vibrance and sat a little more as well and to my eyes it looks better and closer to what I remember it looking like.

Dave

Familiarity wrote:
I'm late to the game (very busy time of the year right now and have been away from FM for a bit) and others have provided ample feedback.

So I was going to leave well enough alone, but #2 hit me hard and I HAD to take a moment to say that I like it very much. For me, it stands head and shoulders above 1 and 3 and needs no additional rework.

Thanks! I'm glad you had a chance to stop in and weigh in on these.
What's interesting here is if I would have put my own vote in on the poll this would be a 3 way tie so far. Which tells me my inability to decide has some merit. I'm still leaning towards the first image but like Kent mentioned, I'll be revisiting these off and on for a little while to take a fresh look at them and make further tweaks before I decide which to print.

Dave

Jan 31, 2017 at 09:31 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.