Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

pgeorges
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Hey guys,

I am tossing up between the 24-70 2.8g and the 2.8e VR. The VR seems to be a controversial lens however!

Size, weight and price aside: is it finally clear that the VR version has better overall IQ compared to the non-VR for real world shooting? The dxomark tests are shocking but surely something is wrong there?

Jan 28, 2017 at 04:52 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

DXO is wrong. The overall IQ is superb. The colour, the bokeh, sharpness are all excellent and a smidgen better than the old lens. I am very happy with mine and I also just sold the old 24-70 f2.8G.

Jan 28, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Desertcruiser
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Yes, the VR is a clear winner for me due it's vr. And for landscape due it's sharpness across the frame.
It's not built better than the "old" G.

Tested it for 6 weeks in africa.

Jan 28, 2017 at 06:45 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Don't know about a 'verdict' but I sure don't need VR (peeps/events)
so my old G isn't going anywhere. Saving landscapes for my old age,
so I might consider one then.

Edited on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:48 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2017 at 07:42 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

My old G developed a stiff zoom ring. Cost of repair was going to be about $1200 AUD. I stuck with hit for a couple of years but was getting worse.

Picked up the VR not long ago for $2400. So far it's been great as good as the G. If the G hadn't developed a problem I would have still been happy using it.

Jan 28, 2017 at 07:45 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

I bought the 24-70 VR after replacing my 70-200 II with the FL. No question there which lens is better. I used my 24-70G for many years. Obviously the VR is better for landscapes where edge to edge IQ is better. Also low lite in-animates where the VR is a useful.

But I don't use the VR that way. Instead I shoot fasy moving Flamenco dancers at 1/125 and 1/250 sec where VR is not useful. Yet to determine wether the, reported, small central sharpness I give up is overcome by better edge sharpness. Although it appears to me the VR is a better general purpose lens I am afraid to sell the G until I have shot the VR more.

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:02 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

I tried and compared. Ended up just keeping my old one. No real appreciable difference in IQ. At least for the not insignificant incremental money differential. Now, if I were wanting one, and had neither, then of course I'd possibly buy the new one...

This really depends on you though. Lenses aren't miracle workers, you are just sticking something onto the front of your body to assist your photography.

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:53 AM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Was actively in the market for a 24-70 (VR -meh) - just noticed that Sigma appears to be on the verge of releasing an updated 24-70 - likely in February. I love my 35Art - and am very hopeful that this new Art improves significantly on the old one and gives Nikon a run for their money on the current VR model. Always good to have choices. (That said, I keep checking the board here for a "g" without a sticky zoom). Anyone else interested in this potential competitor?

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

I tried three different copies of the new 24-70 and ended up keeping the "G" version. In one case, the new lens was just a poor copy, but in the other two I just didn't see enough difference to switch. In some cases the new lens was better, in others the old one was (side by side comparisons, tripod, live view, etc). I'd like to think there are better copies of the 24-70E out there, but with the ones I tested it was a total wash and not worth the upgrade.

Jan 28, 2017 at 01:21 PM
pgeorges
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Lots of mixed reactions as I feared!

I can't seem to put my finger on the rendering qualities of the VR lens. It's almost like there is a slight 'haze' over the image.

It does seem like they went with the 58 1.4g approach over the more modern 105 1.4g approach which is strange for a workhorse mid-range zoom lens.

My thought is that either Nikon did something special for rendering purposes, or more simply due to the 20 glass elements it lacks micro-contrast. I can't tell with my limited samples.

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:46 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Got the Tamron 24-70 to replace the Nikon w/o VR. Saved several C notes doing that.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:45 PM
Cacciatore

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

ckcarr wrote:
...Now, if I were wanting one, and had neither, then of course I'd possibly buy the new one...

This was the boat I was in 8 months ago. I ended up buying the VR and couldn't be happier with it. Shot more over the summer months than I have in a long time and didn't regret the purchase once.

It even survived flying into the dash of the car from the passenger's seat (while mounted to body) during abrupt braking on gravel.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:18 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Pretty simple really. If you need VR get the new version. I have the 24-70G and it's hard to imagine getting better IQ from a zoom. If the VR is "only as good" as the G then you are pretty safe

Cheers
Leigh

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

if money's no object don't limit yourself and get VR version, it might come handy for portraits, low light ,street photography etc.

Jan 30, 2017 at 06:25 AM
Cabin

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Steve Perry wrote:
I tried three different copies of the new 24-70 and ended up keeping the "G" version. In one case, the new lens was just a poor copy, but in the other two I just didn't see enough difference to switch. In some cases the new lens was better, in others the old one was (side by side comparisons, tripod, live view, etc). I'd like to think there are better copies of the 24-70E out there, but with the ones I tested it was a total wash and not worth the upgrade.

Steve
Thanks for this!!!
I've been on the fence for a while. I think I'll keep my G.

Cabin

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:02 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

How is low light focusing accuracy and speed?

Apr 05, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

Excellent

stuuke wrote:
How is low light focusing accuracy and speed?

Apr 05, 2017 at 09:15 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

I've never needed VR in the 24-70 FL. In situations where I think I might, I grab my 24-120 F/4 VR.

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:28 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

1) If you often shoot 1/60 or slower this lens is amazing. Pretty spectacular in low light.

2) Focus speed is out of this world and often goes unmentioned.

3) Tamron, yup. Sigma Art, whoa. Previous 24-70 used, duh.

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:49 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Final verdict on Nikon 24-70 VR?

No verdict-yet. Just read a "by Thom" essay about how VR should be turned off most of the time-especially the way I use it. Maybe VR "ON" is a problem for my work? No problemo with the 70-200 FL VR ON at the exact same shutter speeds though.

For sure the 24-70 VR is nowhere as good as the new Flourite 70-200 which is suberb. So my VR (and the D5 it lives on) is in Nikon Wilshire for them to check out. The last few shows the IQ is definitely sub par. Night and day when compared to the 70-200 FL.

Until I get my VR back I will use my non-VR 24-70 which I am still afraid to sell. Unless you shoot landscape with your 24-70 it appears the old lens is equal (better?). I haven't heard complaints about the non VR 24-70 for exteriors. Maybe all you landscapers just use primes?

Anyway, the cost of a new VR compared to a good used non VR is a big jump. Likely you can buy a near mint 17-35 F2.8 for $700 (I did) and maybe something else for the difference.

The 17-35 is thought to be NSG at the edges wide open-tho it works great for me. Meanwhile, since I bought both 24-70 zooms new I have spent $4200, so far, for 24-70 mm utility.

Apr 06, 2017 at 08:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.