New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

ajamils
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

MirrorLessons just posted a very detailed comparison between the two great mirrorless cameras.

http://mirrorlesscomparison.com/category/fujifilm-vs-olympus/

Jan 27, 2017 at 09:44 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

Thanks for the heads up. Off to read it...

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:25 PM
you2
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

Yea I was going to post the link in the question regarding bird in flight. The author claims to obtain better results with the fuji than the olympus (I have no clue myself and don't know if they found the optimal setting for both cameras).
-
the other interesting point was that skin tons were significantly better with the olympus.

Jan 28, 2017 at 01:07 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

I enjoy Mathieu's reviews and this one seems pretty thorough but it has no impact on my choice of camera or the pleasure I am getting from using the EM-1 mk2

My only real thought was, what a great time to be buying a new camera with so many good options available to the purchaser

Jan 28, 2017 at 02:23 PM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

I could repeat the same, with only one little difference...just landed a beautiful graphite/silver xt2...

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:25 PM
liggy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

Pretty sure it's hard to buy a bad camera these days.

Very excited about picking up my GS X-T2 today as well.

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:29 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

you2 wrote:
Yea I was going to post the link in the question regarding bird in flight. The author claims to obtain better results with the fuji than the olympus (I have no clue myself and don't know if they found the optimal setting for both cameras).

I noticed that too and by the end of the review I came to the conclusion that when you factor in the differences across the board it doesn't seem to be that much and probably just depends on what you consider more important. Maybe more fps and bigger buffer are more important than slightly higher percentage of in focus images or vice versa. The Fuji AF system really seems to be good so I don't think being just behind it is a bad thing. You also wonder if Olympus can close the small gap with firmware tweaks or as you said there may be settings that help.

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:54 PM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

I think MFT cameras in general are very good: light, great IQ, quality lenses, etc. But for me the biggest (perhaps the only) factor preventing me from jumping into that system is high ISO noise characteristics. This I need for both low light photography and wildlife (jungles can get dark and you need high shutter speeds with long lenses). So it's APS-C and/or FF for me. Perhaps even the GFX one day.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:31 PM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

liggy wrote:
Pretty sure it's hard to buy a bad camera these days.

Very excited about picking up my GS X-T2 today as well.

It looks and feels like a million bucks, what else you can say...

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:15 PM
liggy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

cvrle59 wrote:
It looks and feels like a million bucks, what else you can say...

👍🏼 Enjoy in good health, my friend.

In all candor I'm sure an Oly MFT kit would suit me just fine.

I really wanted the full on dial controls for the pure pleasure of shooting.

The theoretical advantages of a slightly larger sensor were secondary in the decision. Didn't like the Oly menus as much but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to them.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

I'll echo what's been said, the choices now and days are amazing and cameras these days are more about personal preference than anything. More and more it's becoming less about "for stills get this, for video get this". They're truly getting to become hybrid machines with specialties tipping the scale in one direction or another.

Jan 29, 2017 at 03:02 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

I've decided to get the EM1.2 and sell off some of my Fuji lenses. As good as they are it is a much bigger system and the long lenses (300mm f4 and 100-400) have more reach and a re significantly smaller.

In addition the benefits of IBIS, outweigh any potential small increases in image quality, for me.

At one stage I was going to go APSC and miniMF. But I realise I need/want a 35mm system with fast glass so m43, 35mm and mini MF makes more sense for me.

I do like my XPro 2 though and might keep one and a couple of primes.

Gordon

Jan 30, 2017 at 07:59 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

m43 has finally matured with the release of the E-M1 II and GH-5, and the huge selection of m43 glass. Panasonic will be releasing 3 new Pan-Leica f2.8-4 zoom lenses (pro grade) this year, and Olympus is rumored to be announcing their new lens roadmap at the CP+ Show in February ... with some fast pro-grade primes. Sweet!

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:27 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

Interesting. I'm in similar dilemma. I love Fuji but since E-M1.2 came out I've been longing to go back to m4/3. Though I worry about the IQ and low light performance, reviews are showing that E-M1.2 has made some good ground to catch up to Fuji. DOF is still an issue but maybe it can be mitigated by using some of the 0.95 manual lenses.

IBIS is definitely an amazing feature because without the stabilization some of the Fuji lenses become less useful than they could have been. For example 16-55 f2.8 and 90mm f2. I LOVED the 90mm but without stabilization it was very difficult to use it in low light situations without increasing ISO to level where I didn't like it. Similarly, 16-55 f2.8 is an amazing lens but in low light I have to again turn on to primes to keep decent shutter/ISO.

flash wrote:
I've decided to get the EM1.2 and sell off some of my Fuji lenses. As good as they are it is a much bigger system and the long lenses (300mm f4 and 100-400) have more reach and a re significantly smaller.

In addition the benefits of IBIS, outweigh any potential small increases in image quality, for me.

At one stage I was going to go APSC and miniMF. But I realise I need/want a 35mm system with fast glass so m43, 35mm and mini MF makes more sense for me.

I do like my XPro 2 though and might keep one and a
...Show more

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:45 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

bvphotos wrote:
I think MFT cameras in general are very good: light, great IQ, quality lenses, etc. But for me the biggest (perhaps the only) factor preventing me from jumping into that system is high ISO noise characteristics. This I need for both low light photography and wildlife (jungles can get dark and you need high shutter speeds with long lenses). So it's APS-C and/or FF for me. Perhaps even the GFX one day.

Makes sense except that I'd guess that if you can't do the job with micro four thirds then you can barely do the job with aps-c. It seems like the only logical choice is to jump past aps-c to full frame if you truly live in the higher ISOs and shoot moving subjects. For static subjects micro four thirds is arguably better than aps-c because of the superior image stabilization.

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:54 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

ajamils wrote:
Interesting. I'm in similar dilemma. I love Fuji but since E-M1.2 came out I've been longing to go back to m4/3. Though I worry about the IQ and low light performance, reviews are showing that E-M1.2 has made some good ground to catch up to Fuji. DOF is still an issue but maybe it can be mitigated by using some of the 0.95 manual lenses.

IBIS is definitely an amazing feature because without the stabilization some of the Fuji lenses become less useful than they could have been. For example 16-55 f2.8 and 90mm f2. I LOVED the 90mm but
...Show more

DOF is both a pro and a con. When you shoot landscapes you don't have to stop down so much as you will get about 2 stops more DOF for any given f-stop ... which is a blessing. I do a lot of selective focussing - for that I would turn to my Nocticron or 75/1.8 which gives me amazing shallow DOF and background blur. When I shot with my Canon 85/1.2 II I have honestly never used it wide open because the DOF is waaay too thin and getting accurate focus is extremely difficult, partly because the slightest forward/backward movement will throw the focus off, and on top of that, you have to deal with the front/back focussing problems of a DSLR lens. I don't have these problems with either the Nocticron or 75/1.8 lens. You never have to do a micro focus adjustment. Focus is always spot-on accurate, and it's sharp wide open and across the entire frame. So, to me, ultra-shallow DOF is a curse!

A few samples here.

E-M1    OLYMPUS M.75mm F1.8 lens    75mm    f/2.0    1/500s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

E-M1    LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 lens    43mm    f/1.2    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

E-M1    LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2 lens    43mm    f/1.2    1/2000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:51 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

Beautiful examples. You are making me think about selling Fuji and picking up Nocticron and 75/1.8 but then there is nothing like 23/1.4,16/1.4 and 56/1.4

bobbytan wrote:
DOF is both a pro and a con. When you shoot landscapes you don't have to stop down so much as you will get about 2 stops more DOF for any given f-stop ... which is a blessing. I do a lot of selective focussing - for that I would turn to my Nocticron or 75/1.8 which gives me amazing shallow DOF and background blur. When I shot with my Canon 85/1.2 II I have honestly never used it wide open because the DOF is waaay too thin and getting accurate focus is extremely difficult, partly because the slightest forward/backward
...Show more

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:32 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

I'll choose Fuji X-T2 in a heart beat.

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:37 AM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

kewlcanon wrote:
I'll choose Fuji X-T2 in a heart beat.

Why?

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:39 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · E-M1 MK 2 Vs Fuji X-T2

ajamils wrote:
Why?

Mostly because I need higher ISO capability. For wildlife I'm still relying on my Nikon setup.

Jan 31, 2017 at 01:44 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password