New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Mono Macro Guitar

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mono Macro Guitar

Just playing around some.

Probably gonna get dinged in a few for lack of DOF, but I was too lazy for any stacking.

Jeff

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mono Macro Guitar

Un mas.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mono Macro Guitar

I like shot 2 and 3 although I think 2 would be even better if you cropped just a little of the bottom. I need to add a Macro lens to my inventory.

Jan 27, 2017 at 06:41 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mono Macro Guitar

rgoosney wrote:
I like shot 2 and 3 although I think 2 would be even better if you cropped just a little of the bottom. I need to add a Macro lens to my inventory.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look at shaving a bit off the bottom of 2.

Macro lenses are great fun and definitely help during the winter months.

Jeff

Jan 27, 2017 at 07:28 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mono Macro Guitar

I prefer #2 Jeff, interesting composition and DOF adds perspective. Visually the others seem 'flat' to me, lacking a central point of interest.

#5 has a far-east flavor to me, a design reminiscent of rice-paper walls in a Japanese movie.

Going to create a bad pun on 'fret' but will save viewers the agony. For some reason I'm flashing on James Bond, You only Live Twice I believe.

Regards,

Bob

Jan 27, 2017 at 09:29 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mono Macro Guitar

Bob Jarman wrote:
I prefer #2 Jeff, interesting composition and DOF adds perspective. Visually the others seem 'flat' to me, lacking a central point of interest.

#5 has a far-east flavor to me, a design reminiscent of rice-paper walls in a Japanese movie.

Going to create a bad pun on 'fret' but will save viewers the agony. For some reason I'm flashing on James Bond, You only Live Twice I believe.

Regards,

Bob

I'm actually kinda okay with most of these lacking a central point of interest as there is no real individual subject, but if they are lacking depth then that would be a problem.

I feel you on the far-east feeling! That kinda jumped out at me when I was looking over the guitar for points of interest.

@ fret, don't hold back on the puns.

I appreciate the feedback, sir!

Jeff

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mono Macro Guitar

2 and 4 for me.

It occurred to me that an image of the strings vibrating would be interesting.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mono Macro Guitar

#1 & #2 stand out to me out of this set.

Your comp on both of those are really nice especially on #1.

With that said however, I absolutely think you need to do a reshoot of at least #1 IMHO.
That shot is not of the Jeff caliber we are use to seeing and if that Jeff guy shows up at the reshoot I think that image could/would become a super nice wall hanger.

A couple of things I'm seeing in that image is the BG needs to be clean and smooth without any tone shifts from BG objects as seen. It looks too hot (bright) and cool for what the subject matter is. Wood = warm And last but not least, absolutly try to do a focus stack on it.
If ever I saw an image that could benefit from a focus stack it is this one and I think you could put it over the top.

This is all just my opinion of course but I really think you got something there that would look outstanding printed and hung.

Dave

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mono Macro Guitar

ben egbert wrote:
2 and 4 for me.

It occurred to me that an image of the strings vibrating would be interesting.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. I know that these images are not your preference for many reasons so it's quite appreciated!

That's funny that you mention that - when I was repositioning the guitar I caught a couple strings and the same thing came to mind. I might have to play around with that with a long exposure to get both the vibration and the string itself.

Jeff

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mono Macro Guitar

Your second image gave me the idea. An attachment point that is always stationary would be a good place to start I think.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mono Macro Guitar

lighthound wrote:
#1 & #2 stand out to me out of this set.

Your comp on both of those are really nice especially on #1.

With that said however, I absolutely think you need to do a reshoot of at least #1 IMHO.
That shot is not of the Jeff caliber we are use to seeing and if that Jeff guy shows up at the reshoot I think that image could/would become a super nice wall hanger.

A couple of things I'm seeing in that image is the BG needs to be clean and smooth without any tone shifts from BG objects as seen.
...Show more

Thanks for your thoughts, Dave! Ahhhhhhh yeah #1 was the biggest "man DOF is only there for part of this shot, I'm gonna get raked by PC" pic. Part of me is okay with that, but I think having the dropoff not get so severe so soon would enhance the image as you're saying. Damn, I was hoping I could get away with the background! I addressed that for some other shots but it was obviously after this one. Wood is warm, true, but I feel that the more prominent feature in the pic would be the strings. Cool and metal. Are you looking for more of an overall toning or the wood itself?

I will stop being lazy and focus stack #1!

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
Your second image gave me the idea. An attachment point that is always stationary would be a good place to start I think.

Good thinking Ben! I will play around with then while I reshoot #1.

Jeff

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mono Macro Guitar

I like the Asian feel to 4 and especially 5.
Well done!

Scott

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:12 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mono Macro Guitar

Thanks for the feedback, Scott!

How do you feel about the processing?

Jeff

Jan 27, 2017 at 01:38 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mono Macro Guitar

#2 and #5 for me, Jeff. $4 is interesting but it looks like something weird happening around the rings of Saturn . Interesting subject -- like it a lot.
keith

Jan 27, 2017 at 06:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mono Macro Guitar

beanpkk wrote:
#2 and #5 for me, Jeff. $4 is interesting but it looks like something weird happening around the rings of Saturn . Interesting subject -- like it a lot.
keith

Thanks Keith! Out of this world.

Jeff

Jan 27, 2017 at 07:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mono Macro Guitar

Hadn't really thought about the processing. The detail is excellent; I like that you chose monotones. Contrast is pleasing. I am impressed with your precision with shallow DOF.
Scott

Jan 27, 2017 at 09:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mono Macro Guitar

Maybe a little toning and some dust / scratches NR. Not sure if the gazillion marks helps your message (although it shows you can capture detail).

Wood grain in the others looks almost crunchy, might consider a slight adjustment.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:27 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mono Macro Guitar

I like that edit Kent. Has the warmth I was thinking of as well. Nice work!

Dave

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mono Macro Guitar

Kent, I like the rework! Dust was a major issue as you can tell how often this comes off the stand.

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:15 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.