New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar helicoid dirt

TastyNumNums

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar helicoid dirt

Hi guys, I have an issue with one of my lenses and hoped someone out there might have some experience in dealing with this.

Normally I keep all my lenses in pristine condition, and take great care to make sure they're kept clean and well away from sand and dirt. That's why I've not really come across this issue before: I recently purchased a used (but visually perfect) Zeiss 50/2 ZF.2 (classic, not Milvus) and unfortunately it has some noticeable grit somewhere in the focusing mechanism that can be easily felt while turning it. It comes and goes without warning which makes me wonder whether it's a big piece of grit that's rotating inside, and its presence has made me avoid using the lens for fear of damaging the thread.

I have the old ZF version which is near identical and I've never had problems with it, so who knows what the previous owner did to get dirt in there - maybe it's just bad luck.

Since I'm in the UK, the only way to get it cleaned by Zeiss would be to pay an arm and a leg to send it overseas to Germany for a full CLA. Returning to sender isn't an option. Is there a way to clean it with minimal risk of compromising the lens?

Jan 26, 2017 at 08:28 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar helicoid dirt

TastyNumNums wrote:
Hi guys, I have an issue with one of my lenses and hoped someone out there might have some experience in dealing with this.

Normally I keep all my lenses in pristine condition, and take great care to make sure they're kept clean and well away from sand and dirt. That's why I've not really come across this issue before: I recently purchased a used (but visually perfect) Zeiss 50/2 ZF.2 (classic, not Milvus) and unfortunately it has some noticeable grit somewhere in the focusing mechanism that can be easily felt while turning it. It comes and goes without warning which
...Show more

I don't know who you can send it to in the UK; but I am sure there will be many places. The Zeiss Classic lenses are not too mechanically fiddly, and any good lens repair place should be able to do you a CLA at much less than Zeiss's price. I know couple of places in Australia, which doesn't help you directly, but if they are here there are surely some there. Ask them if they have a collimator if you want it optically adjusted as well as just cleaned, which won't cost much more and is likely a good idea.

Jan 26, 2017 at 08:34 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar helicoid dirt

there are a bunch here in the US too - what you might pay extra in shipping might get offset by a lower CLA service cost....but then there is the customs declaration thing along with insurance

as an example, I just received back a voigtlander ultron 28mm that was in bad shape - the glass as new, but had a rattle,and front assembly was wobbling.
$155 later (plus shipping) and it looks and feels like new.
let me know if you want to contact the shop
Phil

Jan 27, 2017 at 02:52 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar helicoid dirt

My experience with Zeiss Germany is that their service fees are very reasonable. Last time they did a very complicated job on one of my lenses only cost me 95€ + shipping.

Jan 27, 2017 at 05:12 AM
TastyNumNums

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar helicoid dirt

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get some quotes and compare them to Zeiss, to be honest I might have to stump up the price for Zeiss anyway since I don't know of any services in the UK who I'd trust.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.