Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

String
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

For a basically non photo centered vacation, my kit is the E-M1 (now replaced with the MKII) with the 7-14 2.8, PL 25 1.4 and the 75 1.8. I'll throw in the FL600 if I think it may be of use (it usually isn't).

I find this kit a nice weight for a small shoulder bag and it covers the majority of what I want to shoot.

Feb 08, 2017 at 12:41 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

flash wrote:
I tried. But I'm back!!

Gordon

That is interesting.

Feb 08, 2017 at 01:06 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

savingspaces wrote:
That is interesting.

It makes perfect sense.

Firstly and most importantly I am the worlds biggest gear slut. I like cameras and can never have too many.

The process was simple. I bought a DJI inspire 1. That camera takes m43 lenses. so I built up a little kit. Then I thought I'd get a body so when I was carrying the drone I'd have a land based solution in the same case. The Pen F was released. I really like the Pen F. It's a near perfect everyday camera. SAF is fantastic. IQ is improved and it's very very pretty.

I've also been looking at getting a longer lens solution. I was looking at the 100-400 Fuji. It's an awesome lens and I have an XPro2. But somehow I could never pull the trigger. I like the Fuji's, a lot but the sluggish performance of Lightroom with XTrans (no I'm not changing my workflow for a camera) does my head in. The XT2 is wonderful but I wasn't ever satisfied with the XT1 I had.

And then something important happened. Leica fixed the SL.....

When Leica released the SL it came with the worst firmware ever released in a camera. I actually threatened to return it as unfit for purpose. What a piece of shit! That's when I was building my Fuji kit after leaving m43. Then after emails back and forward with Leica they released fw 2.0 and that camera went from an $8K turd to the best 35mm camera I have ever used. Damn I love my SL.

So APSC starts to make less sense when I have a great 35mm system I'm using every day. Panasonic release the 100-400. Olympus announce the EM1.2 and the 300mm comes out. Sold to the man! Next thing, I'm back. Plus m43 has some really cool tech that lets them punch above their weight. IBIS, high res mode, focus stacking, size, weight, system range. And I don't need m43 to have the high ISO like a Fuji. If I want high ISO I already have cameras that will stomp an XPro2 into the dirt. Same with DR.

So for now I have m43, 35mm and mini MF. A nice spread of capabilities and sizes. I still have my Fuji gear and I still love the XPro2 but I'm going to cull it to a body and a few primes, which is where I think it's best. But they don't have IBIS do they??

See? Not complicated at all.

Gordon

Feb 08, 2017 at 02:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

Makes perfect sense .... not! But you didn't have to say anything more after "I am the world's biggest gear slut" as that says it all!

flash wrote:
It makes perfect sense.

Firstly and most importantly I am the worlds biggest gear slut. I like cameras and can never have too many.

The process was simple. I bought a DJI inspire 1. That camera takes m43 lenses. so I built up a little kit. Then I thought I'd get a body so when I was carrying the drone I'd have a land based solution in the same case. The Pen F was released. I really like the Pen F. It's a near perfect everyday camera. SAF is fantastic. IQ is improved and it's very very pretty.

I've also been looking at
...Show more

Feb 08, 2017 at 03:36 PM
grizz9
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

Panny em1 plus kit lens if not for photography primary trip.

Feb 08, 2017 at 06:57 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

formula4speed wrote:
I'm going to be taking a (probably) once in a lifetime trip to Thailand that has me going crazy over what gear to take with me as I bounce around.

Although I may be a little bit late in replying to this thread, as I spend a lot of time in Thailand (married to my Thai wife for 14 years.), I thought you find find my comments useful. My 4 travel lenses to Thailand would be the 7-14mm, 17 f1.8mm, 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron (though I used the 45mm f1.8 very successfully until I bought the Noct 2 years ago) and the 75mm f1.8.

You have a very good set of primes and really don't need to change anything, unless you want full interior shots of temples and pagodas. The 12mm will not be wide enough. The 9-18mm Oly might be good, but I finally broke down and bought the 7-14mm for the interior shots, it is just great. I read in another post of yours that you recently upgraded to the EM1 MK2, Congrats on that! Hopefully it will solve the poor low light focusing issue I had with my EM5 and Pany 20 f1.7 lens. I use the 17mm f1.8 instead.

Thailand can be basically broken down into Bangkok, a modern mega city of 9 million, and everywhere else that is mostly more rural. The 2nd largest city in Thailand, Chiang Mai, has only about 175,000 people in the city center and is a wonderful place to visit. The city center is surrounded on all sides by a water moat and the night shots are to die for.

The beaches to the South are on par with the Caribbean, unbelievable blue skies, turquoise water and many, many palm tree lined islands. If you get there definitely rent a longboat for a 1/2 day trip to the outer islands, it can be done for less than $50. (if you are going to the beaches in the South, PM me if you would like a 9 page Pdf I made for friends going there)

Regarding the 75mm f1.8 I just love this lens and never travel without it. It is more than long enough for use in Thailand, as there are not too many wild animals or events where a longer focal length lens is required, most events involve closeups of, food, music, dance, lots of people, oh and did I mention food!

Thai people are mostly just wonderful and love to have their photo taken. If you just smile when taking locals photos you will be rewarded with a great smile in return in your photos.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

My Light Travel Kit:
Olympus E-M1 body
Olympus 12-40mm f2.8
Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6

If I feel that I can carry a bit more, I include my bokeh king the very small Canon FDn 200m f4.

Feb 21, 2017 at 03:12 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

I don't have any m4/3 wides yet, so I'm mostly using Canon for travel, but if I got a 9-18 or 7-14, I could probably get most of what I wanted using that and my 24/2.8 Zuiko. I might take a 65-200 OM, which also does macro pretty well, or maybe a 35-135 or 70-210 or so Tamron.

I prefer zooms for travel, you just never know what you'll run into. And I'm usually more at f/8.

Feb 27, 2017 at 04:01 PM
apicius43

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What's your lightweight travel setup?

If I had a wife who is shlepping a couple of high end cameras, my not-photo-focused set would be the GX7 + Pany 14-140, Oly 9-18, Pany 20/1.7. Depending on the bag, I might stick the tiny GM5 in there and keep the 20/1.7 on it. Oh, and the fun 9/8 body cap lens always fits in somewhere. For a little more fun I would add the 75mm and a nice manual lens like a 50mm Planar or Summicron.

Stefan

Mar 01, 2017 at 08:24 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.