New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Newspaper Offer for Image Use

Canyonlands
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

I don't work with newspapers normally and I'm not familiar with how they work with pro photographers.

I was working on an unassociated project when I caught some images of value to a story they are developing.

They've offered me a paltry 20 dollars and photo credit for the use of one image. Is this negotiable, reasonable or laughable given the state of small local newspapers these days?

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:58 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

Newspapers are going bust and we desperately need a free press. Why not donate the image and be satisfied with a photo credit?

Jan 26, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Canyonlands
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

They offered, which surprised me given the state of the press. I assumed they'd simply ask for approval to use the images.

What are others finding?

Jan 26, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

Canyonlands wrote:
Is this negotiable, reasonable or laughable given the state of small local newspapers these days?

I cut my teeth at a small local newspaper. The pay was very low ($3/image, plus a few bucks for handling all their darkroom work), but they were in a difficult business, and what they paid me was honestly all they could afford. That was 35 years ago, and the business has only gotten much more difficult since then.

While I haven't worked recently with a small local newspaper, my bet is that $20 is their rate, and that they struggle to pay even that.

--Chris

Feb 03, 2017 at 10:57 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

1) did you register to copyright your image?

2) one time or multiples usage? hardcopy or online newspaper? no reprints, no retransmission?

3) once the image is available online, the image can be downloaded without restriction. unless the image has been registered, down count on the newspaper to spend the resource to enforce unauthorized uses.

something to think about should you have a significant image of high-value.

Feb 03, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

If you really want to know go join the PPA and then use their usage Calc. As I recall it takes many thing into account like circulation, how large a image, B&W or color, pape, etc. remember even the small local papers are owned by the large media corps. Yes the local paper may have a small budget but if it is an image that they can not recompose then it might be worth more and make sure you do a limited rights release so they cannot reuse it else where

Feb 04, 2017 at 03:59 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

My friend in a small market was told $15 per picture.

Feb 08, 2017 at 08:23 PM
DaveSPictures

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

My local paper pays $25 per event, so if they print 3 or 5 pictures the photographer gets paid $25. Consider who else might be interested in paying for your pictures and how many pictures get sent to the paper for free and you will probably find that something in your wallet is better than nothing.

Mar 15, 2017 at 08:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

Do you know who the parent Corporate Owners are? If it is Ogden Newspapers, Inc - don't do business with them. Not only are they cheap but they will later try to weasel out of payment or really push you to reduce what was agreed on.

Add in they will want All Rights for their $5 or so.

Mar 16, 2017 at 02:08 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

jim allison wrote:
...and we desperately need a free press.

Interesting point, Jim.

Mar 16, 2017 at 03:30 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

jim allison wrote:
Newspapers are going bust and we desperately need a free press. Why not donate the image and be satisfied with a photo credit?

Terrible advice. Don't work for free; don't give away your work and devalue the work of other photographers.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:22 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

Is this paper a non profit operation? Are the writers donating their work? How do you value the exposure?

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
jorgegarcia
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

if its a small paper, $20 sounds about right. I've been trying to break in to the NYC paper game, i.e. NY Daily, The Post, DNA Info, Gothamist, and they don't much for a single image. Most of the freelancers iv met that are on the paper's rosters all seem like they are struggling to make a decent living. Not sure if its worth me pursuing anymore.

I recommend agreeing to it, get the $20 and save the tear sheet. Then you can look into applying for a press pass via your local police or whoever issues them in your town and maybe get some cool community related photos down the road.

Mar 28, 2017 at 01:44 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

Newspapers have NEVER paid well historically.

Negotiating, demanding or complaining gets you nowhere. They offer a price and it is take it or leave it.

Sending a contract for usage in this case is the wrong tool signaling that you are unfamiliar with what newspapers pay.
They are often asked for a lot of money for usage. They just can't and wont pay.

Mar 29, 2017 at 04:36 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Newspaper Offer for Image Use

My first ever professional sale was to a newspaper.

I was about 14 years old. As I recall, I had taken a pretty good pic of a young kid at the recent Christmas carols event sponsored by the paper.
Printed some pics up and rode my bike as far as I ever had up the highest hill in the entire city to get to the papers offices in the industrial area about 5 miles out of town.

Asked for the editor and told the secretary I had some pics to sell. The owner of the paper came out and explained they had plenty of pics as they sent their own photographer. He asked me if I wanted to be a Photographer and when I said yes he summoned their shooter to show me the darkroom and around their factory.

When I finished the very comprehensive tour and chatted to half the staff and given morning tea, I was taken back to the owners office. He thanked me for coming in and gave me $3 or 4 from his pocket for my effort and initiative. Told me about how I reminded him of himself when he was younger. Turned up to a papers office as a kid wanting to sell them a story he had written. The guy blew him off and he said it made him determined to own his own paper one day and he admired young people with Initiative and that put in effort.

He offered to have someone drive me home in one of the company trucks but I was looking forward to the downhill run after busting a gut getting up it.
I went down there way faster than all the cars.

I'll never forget the kindness of that man. He could have told his sec to get rid of me but he went to pains to be nice and really made my month, let alone day.
A couple of years later I did do work experience at that same local paper ( which was a big organisation in itself doing a bunch of papers and a significant printing business.) Eventually I did become their shooter which for some time before, was my dream Job.

Working in the Media was a REAL eye opener that was for sure.
Even 30 years ago, they didn't report the news, they invented a lot of it.
Saw that first hand more times than I could count.

As far as if you should sell your picture for $20, I think only you can answer that. Probably already made the decision or it's been made for you because they news does not wait around for people to think about things.

A tear sheet may be worth more to you than $100 just in the ego trip and showing it off to your friends. Reminiscing in years to come may be worth something too. Wish to hell I could find my scrapbooks of the first Front page I ever had published when I was 15.
A lot of shooters seem to be of the opinion that every pic is worth a fortune as are the rights. Just not the way it is especially now, or ever has been. If the pics get splattered all over the net, so what? Worth more to you in many ways being used than it is never being seen.

If nothing else, maybe seeing it used will give you more confidence and initiative to go forward and push yourself into things you may not have otherwise done.
The value of that is something money cannot buy.

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password