p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rework of rugby spectator

thoughts?

Bob

Jan 25, 2017 at 08:04 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rework of rugby spectator

His partisan intensity shows as he braves inclement elements.

Jan 25, 2017 at 08:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rework of rugby spectator

Maybe a little less (or finer) grain in the BG, it competes a bit.

Jan 25, 2017 at 08:34 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rework of rugby spectator

RustyBug wrote:
Maybe a little less (or finer) grain in the BG, it competes a bit.

good eye
I like the crop with plenty of room for him to look into
I am mixed about the linear flakes falling.....looks close to spots to be cleaned. More or none for me. Otherwise I think his hood tells us enough about the weather

Scott

Jan 25, 2017 at 09:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rework of rugby spectator

I too was mixed about the vertical drops. I didn't think about it directly, but Scott's point regarding the hood could be something that is taken in viscerally. Same goes for the negative space he is looking into. I think this one reaches on a more visceral level.

Jan 25, 2017 at 09:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rework of rugby spectator

This is better. The other guys cover the details.

Jan 25, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rework of rugby spectator

Thanks guys,

Yup, my standard crop.

Re background - coarseness does not bother me, in fact I like it.

Re raindrops (no snowflakes here Scott). To me they are part of the moment, not sure I could add more without altering the reality.

Thanks again,

Bob

Jan 26, 2017 at 09:10 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rework of rugby spectator

Bob:

I hope you don't mind me playing with your crop. Let me know if you'd like me take it down. A personal preference, but I like less space to the left of his profile. The revised crop causes me to keep my eye more comfortably on the Rugby fan's face, as opposed to exploring the the "empty" blackness on his left.

Steve

Jan 26, 2017 at 09:15 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rework of rugby spectator

I really like the capture/profile. The raindrops add to the scene IMO - if the rain/wetness was not readily apparent on the spectator's hood then I'd prefer them cloned out.

I think you can go a lot of ways with the crop, but any way you end on I think that some needs to come off the right side. To my eyes, since we can't really see the peak/decline of the hood it makes the head look exaggerated in size.

Below is Bob's crop with the right edge cropped as well as one with more of a squared crop that Steve was going after.

I dig on the Bob's crop as the line of sight makes a great "cut" through the image about 1/3 from the top and I like Steve's as it fills the frame nicely without removing all of the negative space for the subject to "look" into.

Jeff

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rework of rugby spectator

eeneryma wrote:
Bob:

I hope you don't mind me playing with your crop. Let me know if you'd like me take it down. A personal preference, but I like less space to the left of his profile. The revised crop causes me to keep my eye more comfortably on the Rugby fan's face, as opposed to exploring the the "empty" blackness on his left.

Steve

---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
I really like the capture/profile. The raindrops add to the scene IMO - if the rain/wetness was not readily apparent on the spectator's hood then I'd prefer them cloned out.

I think you can go a lot of ways with the crop, but any way you end on I think that some needs to come off the right side. To my eyes, since we can't really see the peak/decline of the hood it makes the head look exaggerated in size.

Below is Bob's crop with the right edge cropped as well as one with more of a squared crop that Steve was
...Show more

Well done guys - and we've come around to a variation on Dave's original suggestion (original thread) re square crop.

Seeing both for comparison, I prefer the top as the lower gives me a sense of too cramped. Good and informative work! Helps bring the raindrops into play more also.

By habit (and convenience) I usually settle on a 2:3 aspect which does not fit here.

Thanks again,

Bob

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rework of rugby spectator

Not much to add other than to say I like how you handled the other spectator's hood. You'd never know it was there.

Good catch by Jeff on the large head appearance and crop suggestion to resolve. I didn't see it at first.

Dave

Jan 26, 2017 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.