Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Hey guys,

I just bought a printer and am looking for some paper to go with it. Nothing too expensive, but something with a decent thickness and texture, so it feels good in the hands. Ideally, it'll be good for both B&W and color, but I lean toward B&W a bit more. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 25, 2017 at 05:48 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Do you prefer glossy or matte? And what ink set are you using? How big are you printing.

I print exclusively black and white and I like 100% cotton rag for final prints. Lots of people make good papers. A mainstream one is Epson Hot Press Natural -- a fabulous matte paper. However, I mostly use Premiere Art paper because it's more economical, just as good as the Epson, and comes in the sizes I need (especially 16x25, which is really hard to get in other brands). My favourite PA paper is Smooth Fine Art 325 gsm (grams per square metre).

Jan 25, 2017 at 05:58 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Sorry I meant to say matte. It's an Epson XP-960, so just a middle of the road printer I suppose, with a "Six-Color Claria Premium Ink Set." I think I'll print a fair amount of 11x14s and some of the printer's max size, 11x17.

Thanks so much for your input. Any particular place you like to buy your paper?

Edited on Jan 25, 2017 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2017 at 06:05 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Happy to help. By the way, a really nice and inexpensive (compared to 100% cotton rag paper anyway) in the matte is Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte. It's not "archival", but it sounds like you don't need that yet. I use it to make test prints before I commit to the cotton rag paper. I think it comes in bigger sizes.

Jan 25, 2017 at 06:31 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Where do you like to buy your paper?

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Check out Red River Paper (http://www.redrivercatalog.com/). They offer some really good quality papers at reasonable prices. They also offer profiles for most of the papers, and instructions on what profile to use if you don't want to download profiles. They have some pretty decent articles as well, explaining the differences between papers and advice on printing.

Order one of their sample packs and print on a few different types of paper to see what you like.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:12 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Getting started with some Epson Hot Press Natural. Good price and free shipping at B&H, so I figured I'd go for it. This printer doesn't officially support it, even though it's Epson's own paper, but I read that someone used Epson Cold Press Natural on the previous model and got great results. Hopefully, I'll have the same luck.

Jan 26, 2017 at 05:52 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

what do you mean by 'the printer doesn't officially support it' ?

Jan 26, 2017 at 06:07 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

In Canada, Henry's
In the US, Atlex, B&H

Atlex is where I go for Premier Art papers

myam203 wrote:
Where do you like to buy your paper?

Jan 26, 2017 at 06:15 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

I just mean that Epson doesn't have this particular paper in the printer's documentation, even though they mention all of their other cheaper, thinner papers. Since this isn't strictly a photo printer and is more entry-level, I have to wonder whether or not it'll handle this thicker paper without any issues.

Jan 26, 2017 at 06:19 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

Ah, right, I somehow thought you had a different printer.

Carry on

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:01 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

howardm4 wrote:
Ah, right, I somehow thought you had a different printer.

Carry on

Haha thanks... I had a Canon Pro 9000 years ago, but wasn't using it much and sold it. Now I have the itch to print again and needed a normal printer and scanner anyway, so this is a great compromise for me (it's an all-in-one).

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:06 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

well, if the unit will do thicker paper or card stock or envelopes, it should be OK

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:16 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

What is the paper path on this printer? Does it have a rear feed, or does it feed from under and the paper have to do a U-Turn in the printer to come out in front?

If the paper has to U-Turn, the printer may not tolerate thick paper stock.

Don't buy too much thick or textured paper until you are sure your printer can handle them.

Speaking from experience.

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:17 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

It does do this thicker Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper and envelopes actually, so that's a good sign. It has a tray for thinner paper up to a certain size and a rear feed for larger paper... feeling optimistic!

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:28 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

If you have rear feed, i am optimistic for you too. It was the U-Turn that got me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 07:37 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Decent textured paper for B&W and color?

So far so good! I'm having a blast with this thing and the prints are coming out great. Love the paper and can't believe I haven't printed in so long.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.