New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Princess

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Princess

I am shamelessly playing the cute card here to cover up some capture errors.

This set features my 1 YO great granddaughter with her mom, uncle and brother.

The first was taken in the motel swimming pool room hand held without flash and dim window light. It was a catch the moment thing as are all of these.

The second and third were taken in my living room as I was getting my camera ready for the sledding pictures and had the 100-400 attached. Poor choice for indoor shots where I had to back up as far as possible to get the framing required.

The last two were outside at the sled site and are of better quality.

Princess with mom

mom with both children

Princess in snow suit

brother and sister

Princess with uncle

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Princess

HA! That is a well played cute card Mr.

My wife used to put our GD's hair up like that in #1 image. I think it's cute as heck.

This is my favorite out of this set. A little soft on the little ones eyes but not bad.

100mm 1/8s @ f/13 inside the house? Just testing that IS on the lens were ya?
You sir either have rock steady arms or you got lucky on that shot. No way I could have gotten anything even remotely that clear at that SS.

Personally, I can let the technicals slide on all but this one. If that were my shot I would probably have to very reluctantly move it to the memory shot folder. She's a little cutie but you probably have a bunch of better shots of her.

Ha! You can see the eagerness in his eyes wanting to get going onto the fun stuff. I might crop down from the top and a slight CW rotation. And clone the dark blob in the snow on the right side next to his head.

Another nice family shot. Maybe crop down from the top to remove the tree base and I'm not sure but I think a CW rotation on this one also?

Overall, I think these are great family shots Ben!

Dave

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Princess

Thanks Dave, you give great critique.

1. Also my favorite.

2. I had just started set up and did not have time to change the f13 setting. I do have fairly steady hands from years of hand held 500mm bird photography.

3. I debated dumping this myself, I just wish I had changed lenses or added flash, but that pose did not last, she had other interests besides posing for me.

4. Yep, this is mostly about him, and thanks for the crop, clone and rotation advice.

5. Right again, I should also clone out the fire plug.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Princess

Thanks Ben. I don't feel like I'm very good at it but I do like to try if I can. And commenting on family stuff is very hard to do but I figured you'd want good honest feedback.

And I hear ya on #3.
Little ones don't care about photo's and are on the go all the time unless their sleeping. Our mutt is just as bad and I've learned I need 1/2000s at a minimum most times shooting her.

Glad you had such a wonderful time during this visit. You guys certainly made some great memories I'd say.

Dave

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Princess

I think Dave covered everything nicely, so I don't have much to add.

Might even look to sacrifice some ISO (NR is pretty damn good these days) to get a faster shutter to minimize of the OOF-ness from motion blur/camera shake that comes with those slower shutter speed.

Another vote for 1 as the standout of the group.

For that last uncle shot I think it's begging for some more interaction. Tell Big Man to grab the baby, cradle her and get a nice tightly-cropped portrait!

Jeff

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Princess

Thanks Jeff, I also like that first one. There are pictures someplace of her mom at that age setting on my lap.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.