New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Ming-Tzu
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Yeah, the $47 photography tour looks a lot better in comparison to my initial search, which yielded this $250 photo tour behemoth: http://antelopeslotcanyon.com/guided-tours/photography-tours

I wonder how one person can charge $47 for a two hour tour, yet another can charge something drastically higher.

Feb 04, 2017 at 05:08 AM
droaingsong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Yeah, the $47 photography tour looks a lot better in comparison to my initial search, which yielded this $250 photo tour behemoth: http://antelopeslotcanyon.com/guided-tours/photography-tours

I wonder how one person can charge $47 for a two hour tour, yet another can charge something drastically higher.

I guess they also do photography for you for higher price

Feb 04, 2017 at 05:19 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

tag

Feb 05, 2017 at 02:24 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Looks like the $250 photo tour has a maximum group size of only 8. Trading volume for price actually isn't a bad choice. (At least from the Navajo POV! ) It means fewer people to herd, and smaller crowds for all.

Feb 05, 2017 at 06:14 AM
homersapien
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Tim Knutson wrote:
Perhaps, the world has enough pictures of Antelope.

I agree 100%. However, it's a fun trip for new photographers, or folks that haven't been there before. I'll not take them on the regular tour; I've seen how they herd people through and I don't think you get enough time to appreciate it.

Thanks for all the responses, folks. As it is, I think I'll skip Page entirely.

Feb 27, 2017 at 09:55 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Tim Knutson wrote:
Perhaps, the world has enough pictures of Antelope.

Yes, well, the world has a lot of photos the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, the Grand Tetons, etc. But I see a lot of them on your blog anyway

I visited Lower Antelope in May 2015 for a photography tour for around $50. It was not crowded at all. The max group size was 8 and we were only 3 (myself plus one other couple). There are also many other smaller slot canyons around the area but I found that it's pretty tough to get to the really good ones (that rival Antelope) without a 4x4 or canyoneering expertise.

I would not skip Page. Horseshoe Bend alone is awesome, if also often-photographed. And if you are repelled by Antelope, there are numerous other shallower slot canyons that you can access on your own.

Truth is that if you're going to the well-known national parks in the Southwest and you can get there using normal car and without a guide, you're probably just one of millions of people who have taken or ever will take a picture there . It can still be a fun and rewarding experience and there are always opportunities to capture these beautiful parks from new perspectives.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

mdude85 wrote:
But I see a lot of them on your blog anyway

Oh snap.

I wouldn't skip it either, unless it was 250.00 to get in.

Feb 28, 2017 at 01:21 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

Dustin Gent wrote:
now if they would open up Kaibito canyon back up (or one of the many other fantastic areas), i would pay a fee to get into there! They could make some coin there

I can understand that the Navajo don't want the entire area overrun with slobbering tourons.
But.... it sure would be nice if they could open up, perhaps on a rotating basis, a few of the dozen other canyons in the area: Peach, Chaol, Pinon, Starting Water, etc. The few images I've found are enough to make me ... slobber.

Feb 28, 2017 at 02:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

yeah - there are a TON of hidden, but just as photogenic slots as antelope!

Feb 28, 2017 at 07:31 PM
MBrewington

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

My wife and I took Dixie Ellis's standard tour last month. $63 total for the two of us. Group limit is 15 and we lucked out with ten including an infant carried in a pack and a four year old. I have a new toy that needed testing. DJI Osmo is basically a gimbal mounted drone camera on a short handle. Stabilization and speed made this the tool of choice. Don't cuss the Navajo. Our guide was a young Navajo that really made the tour worthwhile. Jerry was his name and he gave us a running dialog all the way through. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat if Jerry was our guide.

Mar 15, 2017 at 03:06 AM
MBrewington

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

My wife and I took Dixie Ellis's standard tour last month. $63 total for the two of us. Group limit is 15 and we lucked out with ten including an infant carried in a pack and a four year old. I have a new toy that needed testing. DJI Osmo is basically a gimbal mounted drone camera on a short handle. Stabilization and speed made this the tool of choice. Don't cuss the Navajo. Our guide was a young Navajo that really made the tour worthwhile. Jerry was his name and he gave us a running dialog all the way through. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat if Jerry was our guide.

Mar 15, 2017 at 03:06 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

What the hell...

Lower Antelope has now discontinued the Photographers' Tour.

"During the Summer Season (March 1- Nov. 1) Well no longer allow any Photo Tours. Unless you have Special use permits from Navajo Parks and Recreation."

I'm not sure what this Special Permit is about, but I suspect they are both rare and expensive.

http://lowerantelope.com/photographer-tour/

Mar 15, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

I was in the area with a group of six photographers last week. Both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons were already booked up. There were hoards of people for both. We did not go to either one. My understanding is that unless you are on a "photo tour" there are no tripods allowed and they won't even let you stop to take pictures, although I am sure that you could quickly snap some shots but it would be difficult to get images without other people in them.

As an alternative, we went to Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon. We took a tour (which I think is the only option for access) with this group: https://www.horseshoebendtours.com/
It was excellent. We were the only people there. Our guide was very helpful and we were not rushed. Pricing was around $90 per person, if I remember correctly.

Apr 18, 2017 at 05:11 PM
tsinsf

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

The internet has created a breed of hobbyist "photographers" who have bucket lists of popular shots. Part of the joy for me the last 20 years has been exploring and discovering places on my own and developing my own style and tastes. As much as I am annoyed by crowds now, I actually feel sorry for the photographers who only know how to find a place on the internet, go there, point their camera, and get the same shot thousands have already taken. And I agree with the comments about the Navajo charging a lot of money for access to their sites. They deserve it. More power to them!

May 24, 2017 at 05:10 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Price increases at Upper Antelope Canyon

tsinsf wrote:
The internet has created a breed of hobbyist "photographers" who have bucket lists of popular shots. Part of the joy for me the last 20 years has been exploring and discovering places on my own and developing my own style and tastes. As much as I am annoyed by crowds now, I actually feel sorry for the photographers who only know how to find a place on the internet, go there, point their camera, and get the same shot thousands have already taken. And I agree with the comments about the Navajo charging a lot of money for access to
...Show more

I have nothing against anyone wanting to try create their own version of an iconic image...looking through your website it seems like you've penciled off quite a few of the icon images as well. Many times people only have a week or so when they are visiting a place and it is much easier to locate the iconic views as there are many guide books that take you right there.

Personally, I won't go to photograph a place whether it's an icon or some random back country vista if it is swarmed with people. I just can't get into the photography mood when people are mulling around. However if an iconic place is void of people...I'll spend my time photographing it from different perspectives. I don't care if it's been photographed a million times before...it has not been photographed by me...and that is what counts.

May 24, 2017 at 10:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password