New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              7       8       end

Archive 2017 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

John Koerner
• •
[X]
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

Yeah but ... wait till the new Nikkor 20-200 FL ED gets tested ... no one will care about the Sony anymore

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF70-200mm-f28L-IS-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-versus-Sony-FE-70-200mm-F28-GM-OSS-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-F28E-FL-ED-VR__408_1106_1679_917_1787_0

Jan 30, 2017 at 07:22 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

I find it very interesting that the Sony (T/2.8) is about half a stop brighter than the Canon 70-200 II (T/3.4). That's quite a big difference, really. If Sony makes a 70-200/4 that knocks the transmission down to T/4, it would sure become a bit more attractive.

Jan 30, 2017 at 07:27 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

I do I shoot Sony not Nikon or canon . I could care less how they test. I'll never buy them and anyone that needs native AF especially a 70-200 would be nuts to buy Canon or Nikon if your shooting Sony cameras. Honestly I never understand these cross brand comparisions. All I care about is what native Sony AF lenses do. I have my manual set of toys but when it comes to real work that puts food on my table it's going to be Sony AF glass if I want Nikon or Canon I'll shoot those brand bodies.

John Koerner wrote:
Yeah but ... wait till the new Nikkor 20-200 FL ED gets tested ... no one will care about the Sony anymore

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF70-200mm-f28L-IS-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-versus-Sony-FE-70-200mm-F28-GM-OSS-on-Sony-A7R-versus-Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-F28E-FL-ED-VR__408_1106_1679_917_1787_0

Jan 30, 2017 at 07:53 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

John Koerner wrote:

who still buying lens base on dxomark?

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:06 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

I hear you loud and clear, Guy! Although I feel the same way but for my wildlife photography, I still have to resort to Canon EF lenses. Sony is still sorely lacking in that department. They do have a 500mm lens but that is in A-mount and the price of that lens is significantly higher than that of Canon and you still won't get native AF features. Fortunately, compared to the early days, the state of some (3rd party) adapter's ability has improved nowadays.

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:14 PM
John Koerner
• •
[X]
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

GMPhotography wrote:
I do I shoot Sony not Nikon or canon . I could care less how they test. I'll never buy them and anyone that needs native AF especially a 70-200 would be nuts to buy Canon or Nikon if your shooting Sony cameras. Honestly I never understand these cross brand comparisions. All I care about is what native Sony AF lenses do. I have my manual set of toys but when it comes to real work that puts food on my table it's going to be Sony AF glass if I want Nikon or Canon I'll shoot those brand bodies.
...Show more

Sony bodies don't have the dexterity of Nikon bodies, the same AF capabilities, and their super-telephoto glass is way behind.

Sony bodies are best served in static, not ever-changing environments ...

To be honest, this new Sony zoom looks competitive, but frankly, my interest is in prime super-teles, not zooms.

Sony is way behind Nikon and Canon in wildlife super-tele primes ... which are based on elder Minolta specs.

Enjoy your zoom lens.

Jan 30, 2017 at 08:35 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

John Koerner wrote:
Sony bodies don't have the dexterity of Nikon bodies, the same AF capabilities, and their super-telephoto glass is way behind.

To be honest, this new Sony zoom looks competitive, but frankly, my interest is in prime super-teles, not zooms.

Sony is way behind Nikon and Canon in wildlife super-tele primes ... which are based on elder Minolta specs.

Enjoy your zoom lens.

Being primitive and under informed, please don't put Sony in one basket, the E mount excels at some things and the A mount others, the lenses and cameras are way too sophisticated to lump in 1 basket like your 80's era system.

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:06 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

GMPhotography wrote:
...Show more

Agreed. I still need have my Canon 70-200II...need to sell it...eventually. But I'm not even going to bother testing them side by side. If all I cared about was test chart bragging rights, I'd simply adapt the Canon or Nikon.

But for what I shoot, native AF is the best tool for the job....and eye focus is the best thing to happen to portrait photography in a very long time.

FWIW I still have the Canon 70-200II and my experience with the GM and the L is consistent with the DXO mark test...but again, no reason test the two side by side myself

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

John Koerner wrote:

Enjoy your zoom lens.

Never mentioned was anything super tele we are talking strictly on a 70-200. Let's be clear about this. Obviously you have not shot Sony and once again the brand war agonistic crap exists and not based on merit if the system itself. Now just for the record I shot Nkon almost my whole career and shot for many years in the aerospace industry with Nikons very long glass. But I shot with Nikon bodies not trying to convert other brands within the Nikon system. Today it's even worse because of AF abilities. I've been doing this 40 years professionally, I don't need to be schooled on Nikon. I ate and slept it for years. Today I shoot Sony and its AF abilities are doing exactly what I need. I just shot 15 thousand images shooting the Sony 70-200 with Eye AF doing runway work. I can't do that with Nikon or Canon on any Sony body. So you enjoy your Nikon but please do not come to a Sony forum and try to tell us end users what works for us. For me this is about making money and whatever works is what I'm going to shoot. I'll will never go back to Nikon or Canon just for the record. If i shot bears at 500 yards away than maybe I would but bears don't pay me, clients do. Oh and that static shooting part, REALLY.

Jan 30, 2017 at 09:59 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

I'll bail out of this conversation now. I'm not interested in a holy war over Nikon vs Sony. It's a waste of time

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:13 PM
John Koerner
• •
[X]
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

mogul wrote:
Being primitive and under informed, please don't put Sony in one basket, the E mount excels at some things and the A mount others, the lenses and cameras are way too sophisticated to lump in 1 basket like your 80's era system.

Being a coward behind a monitor, please don't write a check with your mouth that your bb's can't cash.

Ignoring your insult, and sticking to facts, the simple fact is your beloved Sony "system" is under-developed and lacking in most areas. It excels in a very, very limited spectrum compared to both Canon and Nikon.

As an action camera system, Sony is anemic. As a static camera, it can be quite excellent.

I am not going to get into a flame war, but just thought I'd put the boot mark where it belonged.

Jack

PS: Speaking of "primitive," and the 80's, it's laughable that you can compare the elder Minolta specs of your 300mm F2.8 G lens to Nikon's modern specs:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-300mm-F28G-ED-VR-II-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Sony-300mm-F28-G-II__478_814_1133_0

(And this is compared to Nikon's soon-to-be-replaced model.)

You can also see the low ranking of your Sony 300 G2 glass here too: http://www.lenscore.org

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

@mogul @John Koerner
Personal attacks are against our forum rules. We are a very friendly group so please end this here.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:05 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

John Koerner wrote:
Yeah but ... wait till the new Nikkor 20-200 FL ED
gets tested ... no one will care about the Sony anymore

we have such a lens coming soon?

on a serious note, you're jumping on a thread that specifically talking about 70-200 and you reference something else about super long lens. Common man, you're baiting for a war of word. That not cool.

Let talk about Nikon super long. You think Nikon do a better job than Sony? they are still behind Canon in that department.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

AGeoJO wrote:
I hear you loud and clear, Guy! Although I feel the same way but for my wildlife photography, I still have to resort to Canon EF lenses. Sony is still sorely lacking in that department. They do have a 500mm lens but that is in A-mount and the price of that lens is significantly higher than that of Canon and you still won't get native AF features. Fortunately, compared to the early days, the state of some (3rd party) adapter's ability has improved nowadays.

Josh, give it a try with the EM1.2 + Olympus 300 f/4 Pro.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:18 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

Fred Miranda wrote:
@mogul@ @John Koerner@
Personal attacks are against our forum rules. We are a very friendly group so please end this here.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Thanks Fred..we all need to appreciate each others's system. Please don't cross post Sony's forum in other forums or this will continue to be a Sony bashing.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:28 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

Bubble wrote:
Josh, give it a try with the EM1.2 + Olympus 300 f/4 Pro.

Alex, I didn't run any direct comparison with the exact same gear you specified of a shooting buddy of mine at Bosque but I can tell you that the Sony sensor combined with a Canon super tele lens is in a class of its own.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

AGeoJO wrote:
but I can tell you that the Sony sensor combined with a Canon super tele lens is in a class of its own.

i agreed. That why i still keep the A7rii and 400DO mkii for that reason.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:43 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

AGeoJO wrote:

I find the Sony gear easily the best for my needs at the moment; but I'll happily confess I wouldn't if wildlife or distant sports photography was my thing.

Will that change?

Two possibilities: one is that a company is in it for the bragging rights, the small number of pros and well heeled amateurs that buy fast superteles arent enough to make it profitable, and Sony aren't in the business of trying to wrest that halo off Canon at great expense.

The other is that they aren't going to develop new glass from scratch for A mount, and they are waiting for developments in AF technology that will make on sensor AF competitive for very long focal lengths before starting to release long glass for E mount.

Either is possible; if I had to bet it'd be on the second.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:43 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

DavidBM wrote:
I find the Sony gear easily the best for my needs at the moment; but I'll happily confess I wouldn't if wildlife or distant sports photography was my thing.

Will that change?

Two possibilities: one is that a company is in it for the bragging rights, the small number of pros and well heeled amateurs that buy fast superteles arent enough to make it profitable, and Sony aren't in the business of trying to wrest that halo off Canon at great expense.

The other is that they aren't going to develop new glass from scratch for A mount, and they are waiting for
...Show more

David, I agree with you. The way it is, the AF of the A7r II, even of the A6500, is not quite ready for prime time with respect to sport or wildlife. So, we are anxiously waiting for the introduction of the A9 sometime this year . Bring it on, Sony!

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:23 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · FE 70-200/2.8 GM: Sharpest and best low-light zoom we’ve tested

AGeoJO wrote:
David, I agree with you. The way it is, the AF of the A7r II, even of the A6500, is not quite ready for prime time with respect to sport or wildlife. So, we are anxiously waiting for the introduction of the A9 sometime this year . Bring it on, Sony!

Yep, I hope for the sake of you and all the others who'd like this that it happens!
But I also hope, for my sake, that the A7 series of more compact high quality but not speed demon cameras continues with an A7rIII....

The fear (not that I think it super likely) is that a larger form factor will become the high end, and the smaller form factor used for lower end models. Whereas what I'd like to see is a dual flagship model, with a larger sport-wildlife body, and something in a smaller form factor continuing to play in the A7rII space....

Jan 31, 2017 at 04:53 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.