New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · memory card recovery question

Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · memory card recovery question

I need to recover a few images from a gig last weekend.
I deleted the files from my computer.
I also reformatted the two SD cards from the D750, using my camera. I have since done another gig since then.

I used lexar image rescue 5 today on card #1. it pulls up some images from a few completely random gigs several months ago, and a few gigs in the past week or so, but not the one I want. I never experienced this before, is that normal? the gigs it's selecting is really bizarre, individual gigs on days when I did 3-4 gigs. really odd.

I used the same software on card #2. Both cards get ALL files when I shoot. this card pulled up completely different gigs. not the one I want.

Is it worth trying sandisk recovery software?

Is this random business b/c I have deleted images on my camera, which I assume messes up the FAT?

Any ideas?
Desperate here.
Thx

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · memory card recovery question

If you had only deleted or re formatted the cards, then recovery is normally fully successful. But once you start shooting new images on the cards, which you said you did, all bets are off. The new images write over the old ones, and so depending on how full the card gets with new images, you will get back between most and none. Also, memory cards write things in a way that spreads the new files all over the card, so there is no obvious logic on which images might be recovered.

Did you not back up the images on the computer? My firm policy, even for images that are not all that important, is that I do not format and reuse a card until the images are on two places on the computer, and one of those places is long term backup. And, at the current cost of memory cards, you should have plenty and not need to format and re use them as often.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Archibald
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · memory card recovery question

Dj R wrote:
I need to recover a few images from a gig last weekend.
I deleted the files from my computer.

Recycle bin?

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:34 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · memory card recovery question

You can also try Recuva - run it on your computer. But in all honesty, the most you can expect is garbled, corrupted .jpegs. Lesson learnt - most of us who have been around the block have made similar screw ups over the years.

Jan 25, 2017 at 05:31 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · memory card recovery question

fyi, Recuva is Windows only. It's essential to get it lodged in your mind to stop using memory cards immediately if you want to recover files. Hindsight is 20-20, it's usually too late by the time you think about recovery. The last time I used Sandisk's utility, it took over 8 hours to scan a 16GB card.

Feb 06, 2017 at 10:50 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · memory card recovery question

hey there guys
I've learned a lot about how the recovery software works now
I thought it would recover anything within reason, not scattered recovery.
now I know that if I go and shoot with the same cards, after reformatting, that it's a crap shoot at best.

So going forward, I will dump card 1, keep that fresh. continue to shoot to both cards. I will not dump card 2 until I need more room.
I have large cards so aside from weddings, which I save all files on two externals, I'll be ok on this.

thx for the input.
this was user error.

Feb 06, 2017 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.