Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

manvin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Hi there,

I'm planing to buy Fujifilm X-T2 for its portability purpose - I've fall in love with this lens 56mm 1.2 R or APD because of its beautiful rendering & bokeh, now my question is:

which lens R or APD will be suitable for the 4k filming? just wondering how slow to focus on APD lens? will it focus nicely especially if the kid run around indoor or outdoor?

do you guys have any sample footage via youtobe or Vimeo?

Jan 23, 2017 at 07:35 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Neither is going to work well for things like kids running around. Your going to want to use manual focus with either version of the lens for video work in particular.

Jan 23, 2017 at 08:38 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Yeah, the 56mm would not be ideal for kids running around, if fact, that would be the last lens I'd recommend for what you intend to use if for.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:57 PM
manvin

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Thanks for the reply, well that's shame its such beautiful lens, what kind of lens that would be suitable to record 4k video of my kid running around?

Jan 24, 2017 at 04:17 AM
nikonos6
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

I guess the 35 f2 would be your best bet for that. It is supposed to be one of the fastest focusing lenses from Fuji. And even the focal length should kind of suit you for video, because it seems to be really versatile as a focal length, not too long, though you can get close to the action.

Jan 24, 2017 at 05:16 AM
manvin

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

thank you nikonos6 now i will look up various photo & video out of Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR len.

Jan 24, 2017 at 06:47 AM
scorpiom10
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Why not the 18-55 IOS?

Jan 24, 2017 at 08:41 AM
manvin

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

scorpiom10 wrote:
Why not the 18-55 IOS?

i think prime lens is always sharper then zoom lens.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:00 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Sharpness isn't really an issue for only 4k video. This is a huge drop in resolution from the 24mp sensor. Its only 8mp. Any Fuji lens will provide excellent, finely detailed video. Well, the 16-55/3.5-5.6 may be an exception. I haven't used it.

For my family video, I use the 16-55/2.8 (which doubles for my portrait work with my 56/1.2) or my 18-135 if I am outdoors and it is nice and bright.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM
manvin

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

TheEmrys wrote:
Sharpness isn't really an issue for only 4k video. This is a huge drop in resolution from the 24mp sensor. Its only 8mp. Any Fuji lens will provide excellent, finely detailed video. Well, the 16-55/3.5-5.6 may be an exception. I haven't used it.

For my family video, I use the 16-55/2.8 (which doubles for my portrait work with my 56/1.2) or my 18-135 if I am outdoors and it is nice and bright.

yes i understand sharpness isn't issue for the 4k. The most important for me is bokeh & sharp lens, i want to avoid any sharpness via post-production which can cause aliasing issue on some 4k TV.

Jan 25, 2017 at 05:45 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

manvin wrote:
yes i understand sharpness isn't issue for the 4k. The most important for me is bokeh & sharp lens, i want to avoid any sharpness via post-production which can cause aliasing issue on some 4k TV.

You kind of contradict yourself saying you understand sharpness isn't an issue for 4k video (which is true), but also that you want to make sure you have a sharp lens, because otherwise you would have to have sharpening in post....

I'm not a video expert, but in my experience nothing ruins footage more than poor AF, or essentially just any AF since no system works that well. They all will have some jitter and occasional hunting and that does look bad, as bad as shaky handheld footage.

We've all seen youtube clips where the focus is locked on the presenters face, then it shifts out of focus for 5 seconds, then snaps back into focus, only to shift the focus to the tip of their nose, and then jump back...AF just doesn't work very reliably for video in general, and the 56/1.2 APD or non, is a rather slow clunkly lens in terms of how it AFs, so sharpness issues aside, I would consider some other options if video is your main pursuit.

For stills, its simply a stellar lens. Lovely rendering, especially the APD, but tracking action ? Not its strong suit

Jan 25, 2017 at 07:20 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

Totally agree. My best video is shot at f/5.6-8 in manual focus. The autofocus is just too busy with too many possible subjects that confus the system.

Jan 25, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about 56mm 1.2 R or APD for 4k Video.

I shoot a lot of video with my XT2's, I'm traveling around the world for a year and I'm about 50/50 stills/video. As others have mentioned the 56 isn't a great video lens because its AF isn't exactly fast. The 10-24, 18-55 and 16-55 are my favorite video lenses, plenty sharp for 4k and you can re-compose on the fly with the zoom - plus the 10-24/18-55 have OIS, which is incredibly handy when trying to follow something moving. With non-stabilized lenses there are always micro jitters when shooting handheld, OIS does nice job of eliminating the shakes. Personally for moving subjects I don't like primes because they require more camera movement (jitters and rolling shutter) to maintain framing.

I turn down sharpness to -2 in cam because at 0 there's in cam sharpening going on, which can cause artifacts. The Fuji 4k image isn't overly sharp begin with like a phone or a compact, it needs a bit sharpening in post. The XT2's 4k image is very underrated IMO, no aliasing or moire because its oversampled, beautiful colors, lots of latitude to lift shadows or pull back highlights in post. A firmware update could make the XT2 a near perfect 4k camera, just needs more exposure (histogram mainly) info when recording, Flog available internally, and the ability to change ISO when recording.

Jan 29, 2017 at 08:41 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.