New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

1. For a micro 4/3 camera that was considered to be grossly over-priced by many, it is interesting that it is back-ordered at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1283565-REG/olympus_om_d_e_m1_mark_ii.html

2. Interesting that the overview at the above link makes no mention of the 50mp High Resolution Mode. Also interesting that in that mode, you can actually get an 80MP RAW image.

The image below is downsized from an Adobe RGB; 8 bit; 10368 x 7776 pixels; 300 ppi jpeg from RAW.

That gives you an 80.6MP file.

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/45s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

crop from above

E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/45s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 23, 2017 at 03:27 AM
formula4speed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

Value is a hard thing to determine, it certainly has a lot of tech built in but it is spendy compared to other cameras in the system (GH5 not withstanding). I don't think the backorder status alone is a good indicator of value since we don't know how many cameras they shipped to dealers. If every dealer only got 10 cameras, I wouldn't call it a huge success. For me at least it's somewhere in the tempting region for value, I'd like to have one, but I keep waffling at the price point.

I did also notice they didn't really advertise the high res mode, perhaps they were thinking the camera would appeal to the high speed shooters more than the tripod shooters. It's a cool feature in theory and I hope they continue to improve on it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

Size, weight, and value are all the reasons I bought one. I don't know of another MFT or DSLR that has all the capabilities of the Oly. Whether or not one uses all these options is up to each individual and determines the value of the Oly. You can bet that B&H got more than 10 cameras, and that a backorder means they are selling well, and therefore many people consider the camera to be good value.

Not advertising the high res mode, is just poor advertising.

Jan 23, 2017 at 06:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

The crop doesn't even look sharp at all. The mode is next to useless unless you are shooting a cityscape or are shooting a landscape with no vegetation or vegetation and no wind what so ever.

No wonder they don't advertise it if those are the results out of an 80MP file.

Jan 25, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

Maybe try looking at other examples other than my poor one.

To make the general statement that it is useless except in those situations, without even trying it yourself, sounds like something PK would say.

I get the impression the Oly does not meet your criteria.

Jan 25, 2017 at 04:23 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

I agree, the example above is very soft and doesn't show the HiRes mode capabilities at all. Was a tripod used or was this an attempt from handheld?
From what I've read and seen in my own testing, the resolution is more like 50 megs(which is still phenomenal). I've shot them in at the full 80meg file and then down sized to a 50meg Tiff. It looks much better than the 80 and the amount of noise in the image is less than what you see with the standard 20meg image.
Olympus should release some recommendations on how to get the most of the HiRes mode versus letting people figure it out for themselves and post images that don't do it justice.

Jan 25, 2017 at 02:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

Looking at the exif I'd guess the shutter speed is just too low for shooting at 400mm. The high res mode isn't a new feature (E-M5 MKII has it) and has been shown to work well under the right conditions.

Jan 25, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

I agree that the crop looks soft, but on a tripod the shutter speed shouldn't matter. You just have to be very careful. Under the right conditions--locked down solid on a tripod, remote release, and maybe anti-shock, all with a static subject--the E-M1 ii gives me extremely sharp files with shutter speeds down around 1 sec or slower. I don't like the Olympus software, though; a batch takes forever to process.

With subject movement like leaves or grass waving, stack shots with PhotoAcute and forget the hi-res camera mode.

quote]formula4speed wrote:
Looking at the exif I'd guess the shutter speed is just too low for shooting at 400mm. The high res mode isn't a new feature (E-M5 MKII has it) and has been shown to work well under the right conditions.

Jan 25, 2017 at 05:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

A contributing factor is the lens resolution at the 400mm end. f8 may be the sweet spot for this lens but the resolution at 400mm is not exactly stellar:

http://www.lenstip.com/476.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_Leica_DG_Vario-Elmar_100-400_mm_f_4.0-6.3_ASPH._POWER_O.I.S._Image_resolution.html

Now compare the resolution of the PL lens at 300mm to the Olympus 300 PRO:

http://www.lenstip.com/478.4-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_300_mm_f_4.0_ED_IS_PRO_Image_resolution.html

The 300 PRO + MC-14 resolution:

Jan 25, 2017 at 06:20 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

bobbytan wrote:
A contributing factor is the lens resolution at the 400mm end. f8 may be the sweet spot for this lens but the resolution at 400mm is not exactly stellar:

http://www.lenstip.com/476.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_Leica_DG_Vario-Elmar_100-400_mm_f_4.0-6.3_ASPH._POWER_O.I.S._Image_resolution.html

Now compare the resolution of the PL lens at 300mm to the Olympus 300 PRO:

http://www.lenstip.com/478.4-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_300_mm_f_4.0_ED_IS_PRO_Image_resolution.html

The 300 PRO + MC-14 resolution:

Thanks Bobby for the references.

K-H.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-M1 Mark II - couple of interesting things

The shot posted above aside, there are many examples on the web that show the benefits of sensor shift. Does it work in every situation...no, but when it does it is a great feature to have and a plus in my book.

Back in "the old days" when I shot with Velvia, a sturdy tripod and and no leaf movement were necessary for many golden hour scenic photos. For those of us that learned patience and technique, the high res mode can be considered the "Velvia mode". I like having it, and I am sure it will only get better with more development.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:55 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password